Arkansas needs a long trail

• HTML tutorial

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I used to live in Georgia, and they have the Traverse and now the GAT.
Now that I'm moved back to Arkansas, we need a long route across the state. I know the TAT runs through Arkansas, but that's just part of a larger trail system. I think it'd be cool to do something south to north or east/west utilizing county roads, fire roads, and forest roads. I know there will be the occasional paved road/highway, but I'd like to keep it as much "back roads and dirt roads" as possible.

I think I'm going to try to start planning it out if any of you'd like to chime in, maybe suggest some points of interest?

Anubix00

Rank 0

Traveler I

If you get a good route I’d be super interested to see it. I’m in southern Louisiana and we don’t have much of anything. If Arkansas had a lengthy trail, that sure would be closer than driving to New Mexico

Reactions: blake716

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

Problem is that we have 2 National Forests and most trails and dirt roads run from east to west. There are many good trails, but linking them all together really doesn't get you anywhere or from point A to point B. They mainly just all connect to each other or take you from highway to highway. You can wind your way down from Ozarks to Ouachitas but there is not much in between. Interested to see what you come up with.

Reactions: Silverback_WK2

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

Problem is that we have 2 National Forests and most trails and dirt roads run from east to west. There are many good trails, but linking them all together really doesn't get you anywhere or from point A to point B. They mainly just all connect to each other or take you from highway to highway. You can wind your way down from Ozarks to Ouachitas but there is not much in between. Interested to see what you come up with.
Starting to notice that, too.
There's going to end up being some paved roads, but keeping major highways and interstates to a minimum.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I've decided on a start point. It's a travel plaza that will have fuel, snacks, drinks etc etc etc before starting.
It's at Wild Bill's Travel Center on Hwy 65 south of Branson Mo near the Arkansas and Missouri border. GPS 36.500870, -93.222721

I'm looking at some ending points at the south side of the state now. Probably south of Texarkana, AR.

Nick1987

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Arkansas
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Blazonis
Member #

Let me know what ya find I be interested in going if it in April or something. Need a bit of time to gather enough time off.