Arizona Overland 2017 Tacoma build and more.

• HTML tutorial

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

So, I decided to start a build thread. This post will be a tease.
Here is what I started with. 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB in Magnetic Grey.

IMG_2657.jpg
Pretty aint it?
And heres where I am at now.
2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road DCLB Quicksand

IMG_3064.JPG
In the coming days and weeks I will show you How I got here and where I am going.

Reactions: Levidale

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

So, heres the story.
A few years back I started thinking about ways to get off the grid and away from people. I first thought about building a badass 4x4 so I could get far far off the paved highways and away from people so I could decompress. I wanted to see things, and I wanted to get into photography. This was long before I knew there was such a thing as Overlanding.
I talked with my wife about it and talked about what kind of vehicles to use. We talked about full size P/Us, old Broncos, IH Scout Travelers, 4Runners, and Tacomas. While I was figuring out what vehicle to get, I got distracted with sailing. Now THERE is a way to get off the grid and away from people. I started watching videos and looking into it, and checking out boats. I realized it probably wouldn't work because of #1 finances and #2 my wife gets motion sick and she will probably be see sick a lot.
So, I started looking at trucks again, and decided either the 4Runner or Taco would be best. I would have rather had a Scout or Bronco, but finding one in good shape was another story. Maybe someday, but it wouldn't work now.So back in December we went and looked at 4Runners and Tacos, and we bought the grey truck.
Well in January this happened.
IMG_2785.JPG
So we got it replaced, and in the process of fixing it this happened
IMG_2843.JPG
IMG_2845.JPG
There was also a scratch up higher on the passenger A piller, scratch on the roof, and scratch on the hood.
The headliner was cut, and the inside passenger A pillar cover was scratched.
On top of all that the windshield was not installed properly.
This damage was going to cost 4,000+$
So we started making arrangements at Toyota for them to repair it and charge the glass company.
On the glass companies side, they did own up and were going to pay for the truck to be repaired at Toyota and to have the Toyota dealers glass company replace the glass again.
They also were going to pay for the rental from Toyota.
A week before we took the truck in to be repaired my wife and I were talking about the truck. We really really liked this truck, but I told my wife if I could afford to buy another one I would get a quicksand DCLB OR. When we were looking for a truck to start I didn't like the quicksand at all, but in the couple months I had owned ours the quicksand had grown on me to the point that I liked it better than any other color they had.
When I went and picked up the rental I turned the corner and this is what they had for me.
IMG_2855.JPG
I knew the minute I saw it that I was in trouble.
To be continued..........................

Last edited:

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

So for awhile I left it stock to see what I wanted and needed.IMG_2865.JPG IMG_2868.JPG IMG_2871.JPG IMG_2874.JPG IMG_2899.JPG
Decided it still had a bad breakover angle, and that payload would not work for overlanding.
to be continued.......................

Last edited:

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

So 5100s with the stock springs on the front and Dakars on the rearIMG_2955.JPG IMG_2954.JPG IMG_2961.JPG IMG_2964.JPG Oh no!! Hang on!!IMG_2971.PNG It's an optical illusion camera trick taken at Chicken Point on Broken Arrow in Sedona.

Last edited:

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

And today we got a rack on the roof. Not exactly the way I wanted to go, but it will work fine until I can get what I want.
IMG_3218.JPG
All we got to do is load out and drive away.

Asa Farquhar

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Omaha, Nebraska
Member #

Are the sliders bolt on or weld on? I have the same truck (different color) and am thinking about buying RCI Offroad sliders. Are you happy with yours?