Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

Just moved to Phoenix for work. I’ll be here for a couple of months. My wife and I have a 2 yr old and want to do some camping to check out area around here (Grand Canyon National Park area). My concern is the heat with my 2y/o. Any tips for camping in this heat? Any spots that might be better for exploring and setting up camp would be appreciated. Just looking to check out the area without it being miserable for the family. What do you guys do for summer camping this time of year?

mmssierra

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sierra Vista, Arizona 85635, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Mims
Member #

Almost anywhere with an elevation of 7,000 feet or higher will definitely feel better than Phoenix in the summer! Or, I usually, try to camp in the trees above 5,500 feet.

Here are some ideas:
- around Flagstaff
- Mingus Mountain
- around Alpine
- around Hannagan Meadow
- Mt. Graham area in the Pinaleño Mountains - Graham County
- Chiricahua Mountains–Cochise County
- the top of Carr Canyon in the Huachuca Mountains - Cochise County

Let me know if you need more specific information about any of the above.

Also, keep in mind that even though the higher elevations are cooler the UV from sun may be greater and cause sunburn faster.

Reactions: Eddiebrs

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Just an FYI the north rim is closed due to the Magnum wildfire. It is now encroaching on Vermillion Cliffs as well.

Eddiebrs

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Phoenix, Az, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Barrows
Member #

Almost anywhere with an elevation of 7,000 feet or higher will definitely feel better than Phoenix in the summer! Or, I usually, try to camp in the trees above 5,500 feet.
Thanks for the recommendations! I’m gonna start looking at those spots and come up with a plan. I’ll let you know if I have any questions. Thx again

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Mount Graham by Safford lets you play in Arivaipa creek and then run up to some serious cool temps
The Alpine area has Big Lake and plenty of elevation, just be bear aware and not leave kids snacks around.
Hualapai mountain by Kingman is higher than most folks think and Wild Cow campground on the backside
I avoid the Flagstaff area like the plague as way too many goofballs go there.

Reactions: Eddiebrs

troubledog

Rank II

Contributor III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Meaux
Member #

Here are some ideas:
- around Flagstaff
- Mingus Mountain
- around Alpine
- around Hannagan Meadow

Also, keep in mind that even though the higher elevations are cooler the UV from sun may be greater and cause sunburn faster.
)

Saw your reply to original post above. We are traveling though AZ from south to north in our FJ. Can you recommend any good drives and camps for December time of year?

ADValex

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Valley of the Sun
First Name
Alex
Last Name
N/A

Here are some ideas:
- around Flagstaff
- Mingus Mountain
- around Alpine
- around Hannagan Meadow

)

Saw your reply to original post above. We are traveling though AZ from south to north in our FJ. Can you recommend any good drives and camps for December time of year?
Do you have a route more or less planned out already?

Back way to Crown King is a popular run and is close to the middle of the state (north of lake pleasant).

If you want to do some mild wheeling through an amazing canyon check out the "box canyon" by florence junction.

Billygoat Rocklanding

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Mannix
Member #

Here are some ideas:
- around Flagstaff
- Mingus Mountain
- around Alpine
- around Hannagan Meadow

)

Do you have a route more or less planned out already?

Back way to Crown King is a popular run and is close to the middle of the state (north of lake pleasant).

If you want to do some mild wheeling through an amazing canyon check out the "box canyon" by florence junction.
Back Road to Crown King is an amazing trip. Box Canyon is my trusty trail for quick trips. If you do sandman road makes a great loop.

Reactions: troubledog

troubledog

Rank II

Contributor III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Meaux
Member #

Not familiar enough with roads and area to try the back way to CK. I think we will do the box canyon though as it’s more accessible and straightforward

Last edited:

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

Just moved to Phoenix for work. I’ll be here for a couple of months. My wife and I have a 2 yr old and want to do some camping to check out area around here (Grand Canyon National Park area). My concern is the heat with my 2y/o. Any tips for camping in this heat? Any spots that might be better for exploring and setting up camp would be appreciated. Just looking to check out the area without it being miserable for the family. What do you guys do for summer camping this time of year?
Mogollon Rim. Lakes and camping in higher elevation. Has sites where you pay and have facilities or you can go deeper in and wilderness camp.

TN_4Runner

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southside, TN, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
Bud
Member #

Not familiar enough with roads and area to try the back way to CK. I think we will do the box canyon though as it’s more accessible and straightforward
Backway to Crown King is pretty easy to navigate. I posted the trail in the downloadables. If you cant find it let me know and I can get it to you

Reactions: ADValex