Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

We were up in the Sequoia NF in CA last weekend which is one of our favorite destinations, sad to hear from a ranger up there that several campgrounds had recently been shut down thanks to people trashing them and defecating in the streams (which run down steep terrain over granite forming multiple beautiful water falls and swimming holes). I hadn’t realized how widespread this is getting. It’s only going to get worse so the more of us that step up to clean up and educate, the better. Thanks for your post OP! I’m ordering a trasharoo, although I don’t have a rear tire carrier I can probably just attach it to my tailgate.
We slung ours over the tailgate, works fine.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I have to say, it's also quite unfair of the powers that be to be just go around closing everything because of a few a-holes when there are perhaps just as many, maybe more people who are responsible and actually go the extra mile to clean up after others. It makes me suspect a political agenda that is using the minority's idiocy as a convenient excuse to push their pre-existing desire to close off the wild from access of any kind.

Reactions: 9Mike2

The Adventure Taco

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Carmichael CA
Member #

I have to say, it's also quite unfair of the powers that be to be just go around closing everything because of a few a-holes when there are perhaps just as many, maybe more people who are responsible and actually go the extra mile to clean up after others. It makes me suspect a political agenda that is using the minority's idiocy as a convenient excuse to push their pre-existing desire to close off the wild from access of any kind.
Lifes not fair, and are you suggesting that it's a conspiracy... [emoji52]

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Lifes not fair, and are you suggesting that it's a conspiracy... [emoji52]
No, what I'm suggesting is that there are certain individuals, usually the sort that never set foot outside a city, who would rather block all human access to wild places, and they use the careless actions of a small minority as a convenient excuse to ram through their pre-exisiting agenda while ignoring the thousands of man-hours put in by organizations like OB toward protecting and conserving wild places.

If someone threw a huge party in central park and left trash everywhere, would anyone argue they should close it forever? Of course not. So why if someone leaves trash in the forest, are there certain individuals arguing the same?

Reactions: 9Mike2

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I think a two pronged approach is needed. One is that we who are responsible and who respect the wilderness need to continue to pick up after ourselves and others, both as individuals and as organizations like 4wd clubs and OB, but the other is that we need to be calling, writing, emailing, etc, our government representatives and telling them that we are doing so and lobbying to keep the trails open. Tell them that we do not accept being barred from the activities and places we love because of a few thoughtless jerks, and we are actively working to clean up and conserve natural places.

We need to have a loud clear voice in high places that highlights our hard and continual efforts to counteract the few idiots that are trashing things. It's great to do the cleanups and education, but if no decision makers know about it, it's largely in vain.

Reactions: PB&Me and RedRob

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Google 'Agenda 21'. Enjoy the rabbit hole.

obrianmcc

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Idaho
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McCrosky
Member #

I would agree that we all need to continue to go that extra mile to preserve our resource. With that I also would like to see a more concerted effort from managing agencies to actively educate visitors of pack it in / pack it out or what the consequences will be. These agencies from my experience hide behind the excuse of being under manned and under funded, true to an extent, but IMO they largely need to get out from behind their desks, strap on some boots, and get out into the field and have an active presence in the resource that they are supposedly tasked to manage.

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

View attachment 65401
Proudly display my trasharoo and always happy to share what it is and what it's for. Always have extra bags on hand for everyone.
Everybody at work this week has been asking me "why is your Jeep wearing a bookbag?"

It's a trasharoo. I explain the use , they don't get it. I too proudly display and use it regularly.

Reactions: Chadlyb

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
One of the reasons I picked OB to join is the “Leave it better than you found it” principle. I’ve tried to live my life this way for many years. I just wish it weren’t so damned easy!

And the shotgun shells! Seriously? I’m a shooter and I pick up my brass. There’s nothing easier to pick up than a 12 gauge shell, and they’re everywhere.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Everybody at work this week has been asking me "why is your Jeep wearing a bookbag?"

It's a trasharoo. I explain the use , they don't get it. I too proudly display and use it regularly.
Fantastic...thank you for doing your part. I also use it for dirty laundry. So glad to not pack it next to clean clothes or in the cab of the truck. We put it in portable laundry bag then in trasharoo.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

One of the reasons I picked OB to join is the “Leave it better than you found it” principle. I’ve tried to live my life this way for many years. I just wish it weren’t so damned easy!

And the shotgun shells! Seriously? I’m a shooter and I pick up my brass. There’s nothing easier to pick up than a 12 gauge shell, and they’re everywhere.
Thank you for doing your part. On one of my last outings, we pulled into a meadow and was watching a buck and a doe. Walked over to something I could see was colored and found over 30 empty shotgun shells just everywhere. Picked those up and cleaned out fire ring. Because we all know cans and propane canisters burn.....wtf??!!!

Reactions: PB&Me

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Thank you for doing your part. On one of my last outings, we pulled into a meadow and was watching a buck and a doe. Walked over to something I could see was colored and found over 30 empty shotgun shells just everywhere. Picked those up and cleaned out fire ring. Because we all know cans and propane canisters burn.....wtf??!!!
No shortage of idiots in the world, eh? My LE colleagues and I always say it's job security for us lol Correct me if I'm wrong, but every propane cannister has a huge warning on it stating it can explode if heated, does it not?

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

No shortage of idiots in the world, eh? My LE colleagues and I always say it's job security for us lol Correct me if I'm wrong, but every propane cannister has a huge warning on it stating it can explode if heated, does it not?
Yes they all do....it was one of the tall narrow ones for portable stoves.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I had to take a deep breath before responding to this. I have been involved with one of the local Adopt a Trail organizations for several decades. My off road club has been very loud in voicing our opinion about trail closures. Between being involved that and other outdoor agencies, I get to see the impact from not only trash but vandalism on our trails.

Most of us go out to enjoy the out doors but, we end up picking up trash and sometimes repairing a picnic table or something. I stopped shaking my head over this years ago. Some people are generally pig's and don't give a crap about what their impact is. I've heard people suggest training, education, petitions to official's.......Bottom line, you cant make people care.
If you think picking up someones broken glass and cans from the camp fire pit is bad, you should step into some of the park rangers shoes. I can spend hours listing the things I have caught people doing but I'll just list one.
I was driving with one of the rangers, inspecting an area we were trying to get open again (closed due to fire). We came to a beautiful meadow. Two guys on dirt bikes having a contest in the soft dirt. They were competing to see who could throw the biggest "roost" off the rear tire. You would think as soon as we pulled up they would take off....NO. The ranger and myself just sat there not believing this. We jump out and confront these guys. Their response was "this is public land" "were not hurting anyone and why are you hassling us". Two hours later, they were ticketed and their bikes were towed. They still didn't understand what the big deal was.

Its that attitude and those type of comments I have heard all these years. Im not with the forest service and Im not an LEO. As a volunteer all I can do is suggest that they pick up their mess and take pictures. Most of the true outdoors people I have known respect the environment and take care of it. Unfortunately we are a minority. The worst messes are off dirt roads not far from paved roads. Ever seen someone dump a boat off the side of a dirt road?

Ill end my rant here...sorry. I get real passionate about this stuff.
All I can say is, we keep doing our part so we will have somewhere nice to go.

Scott

Hank_

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jackson Michigan
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Heise
Member #

I was at Drummond Island in Michigan's upper peninsula this spring. We were on a trail ride/trail cleanup run. We must have had 10 rigs in our group. I was second from the end and I picked up more trash than all the other rigs combined. A apologized to the guy running last for all my stops but I can not stand trash like that. Sad part it was mostly beer cans and liquor bottles. If you can't enjoy the trails without drinking maybe pick a new hobby. Save drinking for back at camp and always be responsible.

Hank

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Trasharoo to the rescue .......so I'm going to the market today to get some groceries and seeing my gf for her break. Now something that drives me nuts is when you see a pile of trash from someone cleaning out their car in a parking stall in an open parking lot. I walked passed it and shook my head in disgust. I put away my groceries , grabbed my gloves and a plastic bag out of the zipper pouch in the trasharoo. Cleaned up the trash including cigarette butts and tossed them in trasharoo. People are and can be so disgusting and dirty. Just glad I had the gear to clean it all up and not have to leave it.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Went to Lake Paulina today for an afternoon adventure exploring drive. Ended up checking out some lake locations and stopped into the falls area parking to use the rest room. I travel very prepared so I had to pack in the toilet paper and wipes because the room was bare except the trash on the floor. Thankfully they didn't toss it in the open air toilet but they definitely could've taken it with. Did business and clean up . Crappy job but someone has to do it....haha!!@@

jkxj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

las vegas
i always pick up peoples stuff, dont even own a trasharoo (yet). I am always amazed how trash and graffiti gets into the most remote locations.

but on the flip side of the coin, we had a local shooting club try to pick up one of the popular shooting spots and they got shut down because they didnt have a permit. that confuses me. and that spot will likely be shut down here in the next year or so due to the trash.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

i always pick up peoples stuff, dont even own a trasharoo (yet). I am always amazed how trash and graffiti gets into the most remote locations.

but on the flip side of the coin, we had a local shooting club try to pick up one of the popular shooting spots and they got shut down because they didnt have a permit. that confuses me. and that spot will likely be shut down here in the next year or so due to the trash.
Sure smells like a hidden agenda, doesn't it? "WE'RE SHUTTING THIS PLACE DOWN BECAUSE EVERYONE LEAVES TRASH" *goes to pick up trash* "Don't you dare pick up trash! (That would ruin our excuse to push our pre-conceived agenda to shut humans out of all wild places)"