Are we seeing a comeback of rally lights?

• HTML tutorial

Yngstr

Rank 0

Traveler I

LED lighting is nice and bright when it's dry and warm. When it gets wet, snowy and icy I prefer old style incandescent lights. The color provides better contrast in dirt and snow and when the temps drop below freezing, my incandescent lights don't freeze over.
LED lighting has its place, but old style lighting still has a place too!
The other thing about old style lighting is it seems to be less susceptible to theft as the new LED lighting is more desirable

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
I was noticing the same thing :smile:. I'm sure there are plenty of people who need them, and then there are just as many (if not more) who don't and use them simply for looks. I think there's some nostalgia behind some of the resurgence. I know I'm dealing with re-lighting my rig because my 16 year old self was just as guilty of doing things for looks. I had 4 lights on a light bar before, and had issues with the light they produced, so I'm not moving things around so they serve their purpose and serve it well.

Reactions: NightCrawler

Yngstr

Rank 0

Traveler I

.... I'm dealing with re-lighting my rig because my 16 year old self was just as guilty of doing things for looks. I had 4 lights on a light bar before, and had issues with the light they produced, so I'm not moving things around so they serve their purpose and serve it well.
When chosing lighting, make sure you find one with lenses to suit your intended purpose. Do you need wide dispersal or long range pencil beams or perhaps both. Look at where your factory lighing already covers and use the extra lighting to fill in the dark spots both far and near. Lens color and faceting can make the difference between seeing what you want to see and being frustrated in the dark. Placement matters too. Sometime mounting lights high on a rack is the best option, and sometimes mounting them as low as possible is the best choice. Dust, rain, snow and fog can affect how light is transmitted, reflected and refracted.

Last edited:

Yngstr

Rank 0

Traveler I

When traveling at night, one of the things I carry are the disposable glow lights. If I am traversing a road with lots of turns I can activate the glow sticks and place them at critical points giving me a point to aim for or avoid where my headlights don't shine.
You can get them in red, blue green and yellow. Great for using different colors to discriminate between hazards and safe paths. Once through the section, just walk back and pick up the chemlights

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
6B46337E-99C4-48D9-9C16-53406704FD4D.jpeg I’m a function over form guy but that said round lights look so much better than light bars. Light bars are great for custom fitting into a bumper, grille, etc.. though. I have both and due to its placement I get hardly any use of my roof mounted light bar. To keep in the good graces of the law I keep them covered so it takes effort to put them in play. The 4 round lights on the front are a different story. I turn 2 or 4 on whenever I get the opportunity because the light output is astonishing. I run yellow covers to protect them and to combat the issues @Yngstr mentioned. Both the round/bar lighting are combination flood/spot optics and is complete overkill to be completely honest... but it sure looks good haha.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Not sure if it still applies but it used to be that HID made the better choice for lighting distances and LED gave better spread. Hence LightForce produced an HID spot with a LED ring round the outside... mega expensive though!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jimmy P

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Duncan, OK, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5JLP
When chosing lighting, make sure you find one with lenses to suit your intended purpose...
Totally my plan. My big problem, previously, was I had flood lights where I needed spots, and nothing where I needed the floods. I've been experimenting, and I'm pretty sure I know what I'll be going with, and definitely be going function over form :smile:

View attachment 38578 I’m a function over form guy but that said round lights look so much better than light bars. Light bars are great for custom fitting into a bumper, grille, etc.. though. I have both and due to its placement I get hardly any use of my roof mounted light bar. To keep in the good graces of the law I keep them covered so it takes effort to put them in play. The 4 round lights on the front are a different story. I turn 2 or 4 on whenever I get the opportunity because the light output is astonishing. I run yellow covers to protect them and to combat the issues @Yngstr mentioned. Both the round/bar lighting are combination flood/spot optics and is complete overkill to be completely honest... but it sure looks good haha.
Those lights do look great on your outback :smile:

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I am hoping that the heat from the radiator and heat generated by the LEDs keep the lenses clear, and I will put Zaino Z2 on them.. but I wanted to go LED for my new spots. I don't quite have the bumper project done.. its taking me awhile as I go slow and really think through all the details and wiring.

Have them hooked up to my Warn Zeon Platinum 10-s and it has a high beam activation wire. These 9.5" Intensitys are pretty large... yikes!

I tested them before I put them on the bumper.. they have a pretty tight spot and don't spill an excessive amount of light off the sides, exactly what I wanted. I got one spot and one flood, but the flood is a 30 degree beam, so nothing like my light bar. These will be functional driving lights. (they better be for what ARB charges!)

Last edited:

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Not sure if it still applies but it used to be that HID made the better choice for lighting distances and LED gave better spread. Hence LightForce produced an HID spot with a LED ring round the outside... mega expensive though!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I watched Ronny Dahl's video on those. I was super impressed as well. And then.... the price... ow.

Reactions: Jimmy P and Tim

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Seems like I see more and more rigs with rally lights these days. Have LED light bars and cubes lost their luster. KC Hi-Lites new light bar configurations is sick but pricey...even with a discount.
Was thinking the same thing myself yesterday....watched videos on all the new goodies out there but could put something together using proven kc lights or Hella old school style all over my rig and never touch the cost of one new led light bar...reconsidering .one thing I do like is the under hood or rig led puck lights.i would splurge on those

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

View attachment 38578 I’m a function over form guy but that said round lights look so much better than light bars. Light bars are great for custom fitting into a bumper, grille, etc.. though. I have both and due to its placement I get hardly any use of my roof mounted light bar. To keep in the good graces of the law I keep them covered so it takes effort to put them in play. The 4 round lights on the front are a different story. I turn 2 or 4 on whenever I get the opportunity because the light output is astonishing. I run yellow covers to protect them and to combat the issues @Yngstr mentioned. Both the round/bar lighting are combination flood/spot optics and is complete overkill to be completely honest... but it sure looks good haha.
Sweet ...looks great:sunglasses:

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits