Are there any members Overlanding in KL Trailhawks?

• HTML tutorial

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
We have a Jeep KL Trailhawk and are looking for ideas. There really doesn't seem to be too many KL's out here in the Carolina's. But, I want to check out some other KL builds if I can find them. (Post a if you overland or offroad a KL)

Attachments

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I tried. I had a beautiful 2014 TH fully loaded. Such an awesome vehicle when it worked. It got to the point where I had it at the dealer every Monday morning for something else. I had to get rid of it and swore off Jeep because of it. Such a shame because I really liked that thing a lot. The brown leather was so comfortable. Here it is stuck in the snow at the end of my driveway. LOL

CherokeeSNow.jpg

Reactions: Pathkiller

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I tried. I had a beautiful 2014 TH fully loaded. Such an awesome vehicle when it worked. It got to the point where I had it at the dealer every Monday morning for something else. I had to get rid of it and swore off Jeep because of it. Such a shame because I really liked that thing a lot. The brown leather was so comfortable. Here it is stuck in the snow at the end of my driveway. LOL

View attachment 152853
Nope, they don't make a snowplow option. :grinning:
They did have some problems in 2014 and early 2015. But, by 2016 they seem to have worked things out. The main drawback (and selling point) to me is smaller size and limited storage. I'm okay with the size because we will be towing it behind our motorhome across the country. I was going to go with a RTT. But, I think we're going with a SUV tent so we can utilize the roof rack for camping gear. I need the back seat for my service dog to ride and that only leaves the rear floorboard and rear cargo area for inside storage.

-

Reactions: diabetiktaco

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Nope, they don't make a snowplow option. :grinning:
They did have some problems in 2014 and early 2015. But, by 2016 they seem to have worked things out. The main drawback (and selling point) to me is smaller size and limited storage. I'm okay with the size because we will be towing it behind our motorhome across the country. I was going to go with a RTT. But, I think we're going with a SUV tent so we can utilize the roof rack for camping gear. I need the back seat for my service dog to ride and that only leaves the rear floorboard and rear cargo area for inside storage.

-
Yeah, I traded in my 2014 WK2 for it. I guess it was a dumb move but I really fell in love w/ them. My fault for buying a first year model. My e-mail is still linked to the VIN and the new owner has had it in for service bi weekly it looks like too.

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

I have a 2018 Trailhawk that has been a very comfortable and reliable vehicle. My brother has a 2016 limited that has been very reliable as well. Both have the six cylinder. great for two when tent camping for a few days. I use my full size pickup for longer trips so I can carry more supplies. I want the two inch lift and to put 32s on it but have heard of some CV issues afterwards.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I have a 2018 Trailhawk that has been a very comfortable and reliable vehicle. My brother has a 2016 limited that has been very reliable as well. Both have the six cylinder. great for two when tent camping for a few days. I use my full size pickup for longer trips so I can carry more supplies. I want the two inch lift and to put 32s on it but have heard of some CV issues afterwards.
Check out MFC Offroad. They seem to have the most after market stuff related to suspensions etc that I've found so far.

Bluegrass rules

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Beach, Georgina, ON, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hill
Member #

Check out MFC Offroad. They seem to have the most after market stuff related to suspensions etc that I've found so far.
I’ve been on their website several times. Looks easy and I need to just do it. As with most stuff, trying to find a Canadian/Ontario distributor is my first. Sometimes it’s cheaper than ordering from the US, paying duty and exchange rates. I’ve also looked at Dobson, Rough country has a cheep lift similar to MFC.

Reactions: Pathkiller

cmeades

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Aurora, CO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Eades
Member #

2017 Trailhawk. Starting my build slowly but surely. What thing's have you guys done along the way that you recommend?

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

2019 KL TH here. No mods at all since it's a daily driver (when there was such a thing as a commute ;)). It could probably do with more ground clearance, but I don't need that often enough to justify the compromises. The trickiest trails I've completed have been the route to Chloride Cliffs in Death Valley, and parts of Star Lake Road between Bass Lake and Fish Camp (outside Yosemite) where I had to get out a walk about 6- sections in the last few miles - 12-14 inch drop offs are tricky with nine inches of ground clearance ;)

The photo doesn't really capture it well, but this needed a very slow place.

MVIMG_20191015_172705.jpg

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
2019 KL TH here. No mods at all since it's a daily driver (when there was such a thing as a commute ;)). It could probably do with more ground clearance, but I don't need that often enough to justify the compromises. The trickiest trails I've completed have been the route to Chloride Cliffs in Death Valley, and parts of Star Lake Road between Bass Lake and Fish Camp (outside Yosemite) where I had to get out a walk about 6- sections in the last few miles - 12-14 inch drop offs are tricky with nine inches of ground clearance ;)

The photo doesn't really capture it well, but this needed a very slow place.

View attachment 161333
You can still daily drive them perfectly after mods! :laughing:

Reactions: Devildawg2136