Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Eagle Mountain, UT, USA
First Name
AW
Last Name
Price
Member #

Hi everyone, im looking at getting a fridge for camping but i cant see how weather rated they are. i would like to have it strapped down in the open bed of my truck. Can they handle dirt and rain or is the only option inside? thanks

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I would think no, Probably not. There may be 1 or 2 out there that can but if there is your talking big money. There may also be some type of cover for it that can help some with rain but it would probably just hold in heat, dust is just as bad on unsealed electronics as water and i dont see how something running a pc fan would hold up in the elements. If you have a bed topper or cover you can get away with it but still may have heat problems in the hottest part of the year.

Reactions: Utahrootbeer

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Most 12v fridge-freezers are not supposed to be out in the weather, no, especially in the more turbulent weather of an open pickup truck bed. I know I would not keep my 50qt ARB in the bed full-time.

ARB does have one unit, though, they came up with a year or so ago; their Elements Weatherproof Fridge-Freezer . Seems like it would be a bit of a target, unless you only have it strapped in there when you're there.

You can read the user reviews at the link above, or more of the marketing info here: ARB USA, Elements Weatherproff Fridge Freezer.

Good luck!

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

I believe ARB elements fridges are spec'ed for being in open beds. Anecdotally a lot of other fridges seem to survive this, but I imagine you void your warranty. I'm thinking of moving my Dometic to the truck bed (under a RTT, so it will be out of the rain and direct sun, but not out of the dust) and am hoping for the best.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I have seen a few people have their Dometic in an open bed, but I don't think its rated for weather. The ARB element is the only one that is rated I think.

Reactions: Utahrootbeer

Contributor I

US
Engel has a marine rated version, 35l I believe that’s plastic exterior. I come from a sailing background and I’ve also known of quite a few cruisers that leave these and the normal Engels out on deck 24/7 and they last years. Get the cover for whatever fridge you get to keep 80-90% of elements off it and have fun. Whenever you get home just blow it out with air if it’s dusty.

DoubleA_FL

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Florida, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
DoubleA
Member #

I'm gonna be doing a few months on the road with my dometic under a not-really-weatherproof bed cover. When it was new it kept the rain out, but it leaks between each panel now, so I am buying the smallest tarp I can find and just laying it over it to keep any water from dripping directly onto the power/fan area. I figure that is the only area I really have to be careful about, otherwise, I am not too worried about it. I have to say, it's going to make the trip SO MUCH BETTER! and I splurged with 6mo no interest and got the 95DZ, I'm so excited!! hahaha

IMG_8390.jpg

Last edited:

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
I just spent about three weeks looking for an outdoor-rated fridge that could handle dust as well as wet. The ARB Element is what I found as the only one that didn't say "don't use this outdoors or in weather," but there seems to be a rather long delay in shipping right now. I needed something for an upcoming trip and so opted for the cheaper, nearly-as-rugged, but definitely not weatherproof ICECO fridge. I ordered it two days ago and it arrived today. I plan to build a HEPA-filtered, removable enclosure to keep it in while traveling.

Overland Vic

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Member #

Hi everyone, im looking at getting a fridge for camping but i cant see how weather rated they are. i would like to have it strapped down in the open bed of my truck. Can they handle dirt and rain or is the only option inside? thanks
Hey AW,

I've seen 2 fridges that are used within outdoor elements. Dometic 75dzw and Snomaster. I met an overlander at Expo West and he said there's no problem at all and running strong all year! Which fridge/freezer did you purchase?