Are any of you familiar with WMAs (Wildlife Management Areas)?

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

In Virginia, there are over 40 Wildlife Management areas. https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wma Most offer primitive camping, which is precisely what I prefer. The two areas nearest me have been sparsely visited at the times I've been there. It seems primarily only hunters are aware of such areas.

From a cost perspective, these areas are far more reasonable than state parks. My nearest state park wants something like $40 a night for a tent site with no power. It's ridiculous that a patch of dirt might cost the same to sleep in as a cheap hotel room. Plus there's tons of other people around. I paid $23 for a freshwater fishing license, good for a year from the date of purchase, which includes full access to all of the WMAs in the state.

Have any of you made use of such areas?

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

Following! There were times we were near a WMA and would have liked to camp there instead of traveling further for a NF. Didn't even know if we could, or if we needed some sort of pass or license.

Reactions: Kevin108

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Hey Brandon. I've got the Q&A video going while I'm browsing the forum. I have really enjoyed the series!

Untitled-1.jpg

I've been looking at the sites for WMAs in adjacent states. The requirements, costs, and activities all seem comparable between VA, WV, and NC. With a carefully planned trip, someone more organized than me could probably pull it off, but keeping track of which locations allowed for camping and keeping non-resident licenses renewed for numerous states seems like it would get confusing quickly. It's definitely something to keep in mind though, and as overlanding grows as a hobby, we'll probably see more info come to light about such locations.

I have made a contact that runs two of the local WMAs, so I'll post an update once I've learned some more. I'll try to talk him into making an account here so you guys can get some info first-hand.

Reactions: trailspinTV