Are 2 Wheel Drive Rigs any good?

• HTML tutorial

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo that has a 4 cylinder, manual transmission, and 2 wheel drive. I have been looking for a 4x4 but have not found anything that I like in my area. So I was wondering if my little suv would be any good.
I am in Georgia so I am sure most of the stuff near me is mountains and mud.

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
Can you adventure and have a great time camping in a 2wd vehicle? Absolutely. Should you invest in permanent modifications and features for that vehicle (lifts, racks, etc)? I don't think I would, if I had the mind to change to something else. Objectively speaking, the 4x4 can get you into more inaccessible places, how often that will be the deciding factor really depends on your surroundings. Where I'm at, it would be rare that 4x4 would be what kept you out of a camping place. Most legal camping areas in this state are highly accessible, especially during the non-snow seasons.

Reactions: Adam&Jess

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Can you adventure and have a great time camping in a 2wd vehicle? Absolutely. Should you invest in permanent modifications and features for that vehicle (lifts, racks, etc)? I don't think I would, if I had the mind to change to something else. Objectively speaking, the 4x4 can get you into more inaccessible places, how often that will be the deciding factor really depends on your surroundings. Where I'm at, it would be rare that 4x4 would be what kept you out of a camping place. Most legal camping areas in this state are highly accessible, especially during the non-snow seasons.
Gotcha. And I most likely wouldn't be alone. My friend has a 4x4 but I was just curious. Like I said I am in Georgia and I know most of the places near me have rivers and mudpits in the way so I don't know if my 120hp Rodeo could make it.

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
hey don't sneeze at 120 HP, I have seen people do some amazing things with a samurai coming in at 66HP, and don't forget that one of the offroad communities favorite Toyota engines only has 114 HP in the 22R motor.

Reactions: MrCoffee

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

hey don't sneeze at 120 HP, I have seen people do some amazing things with a samurai coming in at 66HP, and don't forget that one of the offroad communities favorite Toyota engines only has 114 HP in the 22R motor.
Didn't know that. Just know that the rodeo also weighs 3700 plus whatever the 22 gallon tank weighs when it is full lol. It's a pretty strange little vehicle.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I ran a 2wd ranger for years with the 4wd friends. Yes got stuck they would pull me out. They would get stuck I'd pull them out. Just learn your vehicle's limits then go slightly over that. Lol. As long as your outdoors that's what counts.

RUBICAJON

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
I have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo that has a 4 cylinder, manual transmission, and 2 wheel drive. I have been looking for a 4x4 but have not found anything that I like in my area. So I was wondering if my little suv would be any good.
I am in Georgia so I am sure most of the stuff near me is mountains and mud.
I actually like the Rodeo a lot, and the Amigo. Had a couple in our old group of off rosters, and they worked quite well. And back on subject, I have a couple of friends that overland in 2 at RAV4'S, no problem. Just use intelligent driving.

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I actually like the Rodeo a lot, and the Amigo. Had a couple in our old group of off rosters, and they worked quite well. And back on subject, I have a couple of friends that overland in 2 at RAV4'S, no problem. Just use intelligent driving.

Sent from my SM-T377R4 using OB Talk mobile app
Its a nice suv and im sure itd do fine out west. Just no clue how itll handle offroading in Georgia.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

Sherwood04

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Wartburg, TN, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Sherwood
Member #

I drove a 02 explorer 2wd for almost 10 years. The only thing I did was put a limited slip and 3.73 gear in it, along with some good all terrains. It went just about everywhere I pointed it up here in East Tennessee. Get out there, learn the vehicles limits and stay out of the deep stuff!

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I drove a 02 explorer 2wd for almost 10 years. The only thing I did was put a limited slip and 3.73 gear in it, along with some good all terrains. It went just about everywhere I pointed it up here in East Tennessee. Get out there, learn the vehicles limits and stay out of the deep stuff!

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app
Thats good to know. Tennessee ain't that different than Georgia in terms of terrain. I have some OK tires but I am not worried about it for now. Won't try any hard stuff right off the bat.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
No offense Blue but it's ok to be that guy. I was and was proud of it. My ranger had a 2 inch lift bushwacker cut out fender flairs 33 inch BFG ATs running 4.10 gears with a limited slip. I still needed the ground clearance and the added traction. Was looked at strange but never let it bother me.

Its ok to be different and do it your way. I watched alot of people's faces change as i drove the "Bucket of Destruction" past them on the trails. Drivers skill plays a huge roll in offroad performance.

No matter what you drive.

Reactions: Dustin Harrison

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well here's the real big question are you wanting to do more off-roading or overlanding. If you're more just wanted to get out go camping travel down remote roads than yes a two wheel drive will suit your needs very well if her goal is to go out to go out Wheeling with your buddies it might be more worth it to just track down a four-wheel drive heck you can find rodeos out here in the Pacific Northwest in great shape for dirt cheap all the time

Reactions: grover

Dustin Harrison

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Well here's the real big question are you wanting to do more off-roading or overlanding. If you're more just wanted to get out go camping travel down remote roads than yes a two wheel drive will suit your needs very well if her goal is to go out to go out Wheeling with your buddies it might be more worth it to just track down a four-wheel drive heck you can find rodeos out here in the Pacific Northwest in great shape for dirt cheap all the time
A little of both. I want to camp but I don't want to go to common camp grounds because I have been to most in my area. But I do have some friends that just like to go wheeling.