Arctic Circle - December 18th 2021 - Jan 7th 2022 - Looking for people to join!

• HTML tutorial

Jacob Silberfarb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hello all,

Looking for some rigs to join us on an adventure for about three weeks this winter. The dates are as from December 18th to Jan 7th.

We will be leaving from Orange County CA and headed up to Calgary and then on to Tuktoyaktuk.

At the moment we have a 2021 F350 and myself in a 2013 LR4. Tentative are a GX and another LR4. Looking for a few more rigs to join us. We will not be doing super difficult trails but it will be a lot of driving and very cold! Average temp will be about -10 to -15 F. Mixture of in vehicle camping and hotels when available.

1Truenorth

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midd.-tenn.
First Name
Wm
Last Name
Murray
Back in "The day", I drove the Alaska Hwy. many many times, in all seasons. I was a Yukon resident.
You do realize you are traveling during the coldest weather any where on the planet. Your averages are way off. Vehicles just flat out do not like -40 degree weather. Gas doesn't ignite at -45. I have lit stove pipe fires under vehicles to thaw them out. Forget about daylight, sure South Central Yukon gets 4 or 5 hours of winter daylight. You guys will be way up north. it stays dark...
Just curious. 30-40 years ago, I would say lets go. Now, in my 60`s, spring time awaits.

Last edited:

MegaBug

Rank VII
Launch Member

Influencer II

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lester
Member #

I have to agree with @1Truenorth having lived in Northern British Columbia for quite a while (and you plan on WAAAY further north than that) At 40 below (and BTW that's the same in C or F, google it) vehicles won't start unless plugged in overnight, and try to find a plug when dispersed camping (planned or otherwise!). The loggers leave their heavy equipment running 24/7 over the colder months or they wouldn't get them started again until spring. And forget about enjoying the scenery .... as pointed out, darkness rules in the mid-winter north.
The northern roads CAN be driven in winter when necessary (with proper preparation) but I would think twice about doing this as a recreational undertaking.
I am planning the same route for the near future .... in AUGUST!
Granted, I'm in my 60's, but be very careful about taking on this route at that time of year.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A bit early but YES, winter in the North is spectacular !!

I only say early because winter literally lasts till spring and the top athletes in the north start running much later.
Plan a trip atound the dogs..... but do not bring one.
Sled dog racing is unbeatable.

Wallpaper-for-desktop-Dog-Race-Yukon-Alaska-1280x960.jpg

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
This will be a great trip and a proper adventure. I'll chat with my companions and see if they'd like to join.

It will be cold as others have said but there's no reason with proper preparation and a bit of planning, you folks will be totally fine and have a great trip. Plan for colder though -- I'm an Edmontonian and no stranger to -40 Celciius (which is also -40 F; they overlap at that temp) and lots of cold weather travel experience; even if I don't join you please feel free to reach out if you need anything or want to chat through any challenges related to winter travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Don't be detered by the bullshiit. Yes you need to prepare for a northern winter excursion. Yes 40 below might be a warm day. But after 10 years in Yellowknife I will be only going back for a winter excursion. The winter nights.... lol 16 hours of darkness are spectacular. Shut off the lights, the genset, enjoy the immense peace.

IF you are going for the Aurora Borealis..... pick the right year. They cycle on a 7-11 year peak. I think last year was a peak. Do the research. ps, Japanese Tour Companies know the cycle.

AND follow the winter sports, especially the smaller community sled dog races.

You won't see this but Canadian Forces newest ship.....under Northern Lights. last year I think.

154532548_1649917571877349_4804276767549419948_n.jpg

we used to lie on the ice and listen to them
it was like a chime as they danced across the sky

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Porsche runs a dozen new Porsches to Tuk every year for winter testing. They pick the coldest month. January. Kinda cool seeing 911s and Caymans parked outside a block from our home, covered in frost.

I'd recommend checking out Yellowknife too. An extra 300 miles but an incredible city. The center of northern government. More MBAs per capita than any other city in North America. We loved living there. We met Andrew Cellucci at a DND luncheaon. We paid $20 for lunch, the next week he was in Vancouer for $1000 per plate. Yellowknife brings in performers from around the world and we saw them for 10 cents on the dollar.

Don't go for the drive, go for the culture. The North is amazing. But the people are the reason to go.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

GoForGraham

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Houston, TX
Member #

I lived in Inuvik for a few years and one other thing to consider is that time of year, you are likely to get stuck in Eagle Plains for a night, maybe two depending on weather each way. Right after Eagle Plains on the Dempster you hit Hurricane Alley, and almost every time I went through there in the winter, the winds pick up and shut down the road in the afternoon. If you're lucky, the wind will die down overnight and they will be able to plow the road enough to get through the next day. Just something to keep in mind when you are planning the trip - keep your timeline flexible.

Also, the comment about vehicles not liking -40 is on point. If you don't protect your front end there is a high possibility you'll end up with a cracked battery cell or some other misfortune. That happened to me once up there as well.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I would love to do a trip north like this, been to Tuk once and Arctic Circle 3 times, but I think I would pick a time with more daylight, but that’s me. Got to see the Northern Lights once up in Goosebay.

I like to know, what are the plans for vehicle and personal preparation?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Also, the comment about vehicles not liking -40 is on point. If you don't protect your front end there is a high possibility you'll end up with a cracked battery cell or some other misfortune. That happened to me once up there as well.
Winter front AND belly tarp to the tranny. One piece of heavy canvas tied under the hood wrapping over the entire front end, bumper and tied to the frame in front of and behind the axle. Drive slow, the wind chill is a factor on the mechanicals too.

Pack some gas line antifreeze or diesel conditioner.
I'd never shut the engine off except to check the oil.

Hopefully you all have block heaters. EFI does not understand 40 below.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Average temp will be about -10 to -15 F.
you are dreaming, expect an average closer to -25F to -45F..... and night time lows even colder. I've seen -60F in Yellowknife in January, and not just for a night, cold snaps can last weeks. If you get caught in a storm, be ready to hunker down for more than a day.

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch