ARB vs. Snomaster

• HTML tutorial

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'm getting ready to buy a fridge for my Jeep. I've narrowed it down to two, after considering my needs, size, and weight, along with desired features. I'm down to the Snomaster LS35 and the ARB 37. I can get a deal on the Snomaster that is about 70 or so bucks cheaper than the ARB. On top of that, the Snomaster has a 7 year compressor warranty, which is really impressive. The ARB offers an insulated cover (expensive) and widespread use with a good reputation for both reliability and customer service. I haven't heard much about Snomaster CS, but the little I've heard is that they give outstanding support. The Snomaster has about a 4.5 or 5 pound weight advantage, too, which is very little, but I am obsessive about weight.

Any opinions on these? Right now, I'm leaning toward the Snomaster. Shared opinions and experience welcome!

talt2008

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
Member #

I'm getting ready to buy a fridge for my Jeep. I've narrowed it down to two, after considering my needs, size, and weight, along with desired features. I'm down to the Snomaster LS35 and the ARB 37. I can get a deal on the Snomaster that is about 70 or so bucks cheaper than the ARB. On top of that, the Snomaster has a 7 year compressor warranty, which is really impressive. The ARB offers an insulated cover (expensive) and widespread use with a good reputation for both reliability and customer service. I haven't heard much about Snomaster CS, but the little I've heard is that they give outstanding support. The Snomaster has about a 4.5 or 5 pound weight advantage, too, which is very little, but I am obsessive about weight.

Any opinions on these? Right now, I'm leaning toward the Snomaster. Shared opinions and experience welcome!
I have the arb 37 and it's in my jeep 24/7. Really happy with it since it's easy to clean, and the lid removes making loading and unloading a breeze. The LED inside is really nice at night. When starting it up it takes under an hour to get to temperature for use.

It also does what they say and shuts down the fridge to start my jeep before killing the battery completely (only happens when sitting in the sun all day at work when I dont have it completely stocked to help keep it cool. Also running it on the stock battery so it's part of the problem)

Only downside to it so far is that it looks like a printer from the 90's, but I'm going to order their canvas bag to eliminate that "problem". Best of luck to you on your decision, as the only wrong decision I believe is sticking with a cooler haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Alberto Escobedo

talt2008

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cleveland, OH
Member #

I have the arb 37 and it's in my jeep 24/7. Really happy with it since it's easy to clean, and the lid removes making loading and unloading a breeze. The LED inside is really nice at night. When starting it up it takes under an hour to get to temperature for use.

It also does what they say and shuts down the fridge to start my jeep before killing the battery completely (only happens when sitting in the sun all day at work when I dont have it completely stocked to help keep it cool. Also running it on the stock battery so it's part of the problem)

Only downside to it so far is that it looks like a printer from the 90's, but I'm going to order their canvas bag to eliminate that "problem". Best of luck to you on your decision, as the only wrong decision I believe is sticking with a cooler haha

Oh and I believe arb has a much better warranty than 7 years, but dont take my word for that. I dont remember what it was off hand

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Oh and I believe arb has a much better warranty than 7 years, but dont take my word for that. I dont remember what it was off hand

I've heard of ARB's lasting many years, but their warranty currently is 3. 7 is the longest I've seen. I am waiting to hear back on a deal on the ARB, so it might wind up the one, if I can get it for less than the Snomaster. I'll know in a few days.

Lilkuff

Rank 0

Contributor I

I have the Dometic CFX35 and it’s great. I’ve only had it for a year or so but I have no complaints. Plus the cover is far less expensive than the ARB cover. Just a thought if you haven’t looked at them

Reactions: TeamTays and DanW

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Do you guys feel like you can keep a good 5 days of food, including milk jugs, eggs and like, steaks, burgers, (bunch o meat) type meals? I don't find it that bad to rotate in drinks over a longer trip, but I fill my ARB 50 to the brim when we go for a week. I know a JKU has a little more space constraints... can you fit a 50? I guess you would need lower drawers?

Love my ARB though, but I say it a lot, i don't think you can go too wrong with any of these common fridge brands. They all work about the same. The big thing is size, dimensions and how you like the handles and hinges to work.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Do you guys feel like you can keep a good 5 days of food, including milk jugs, eggs and like, steaks, burgers, (bunch o meat) type meals? I don't find it that bad to rotate in drinks over a longer trip, but I fill my ARB 50 to the brim when we go for a week. I know a JKU has a little more space constraints... can you fit a 50? I guess you would need lower drawers?

Love my ARB though, but I say it a lot, i don't think you can go too wrong with any of these common fridge brands. They all work about the same. The big thing is size, dimensions and how you like the handles and hinges to work.
With the trips I take, I won't be 5 days between resupply, so I can get by with the 37. The footprint in my cargo area is of high importance. If I had more room, I'd go with a 62 quart.

The Snomaster rep is ordering insulated covers for the LS35 and he told me he'd give me a great deal on the fridge and cover, so I'm waiting to see what he can do. Otherwise, I've got a decent deal lined up for an ARB 37 and cover. I'm hoping he lets me know this week. I like its footprint a little better than the ARB, but there are a few unknowns, too. I haven't found anybody with that particular unit. I've read that they are pretty amazing and VERY Long lasting, though. One feature I like, if Ihaven't mentioned it before, is the 90 second alarm if the lid isn't closed tightly or properly. I think that will be very useful.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

The alarm would be nice. I do find the ARB seals well even unlatched, but my kids (7 and 9) can both easily operate ours so it hasn't been an issue.

Reactions: DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Snomaster gave me a great deal on the LS35. They have just one and are shipping it from CA. Not sure when it will ship, but I can't wait to try it out. They also said they are ordering covers for it and will send one to me when they arrive. They don't show any insulated covers on their website for the LS35, but he assured me they have them. I'll post photos when the fridge arrives, and more when the cover ultimately gets here. He said it takes awhile for an order to be shipped to SnomasterUSA, and when it finally does, it takes 25 days "on the boat."

BosCo

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

texas
I was also looking at the snowmaster seems as if they have been around a very long time down under (the parent company anyway)

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I was also looking at the snowmaster seems as if they have been around a very long time down under (the parent company anyway)
I've had it now for about a week, and it is GREAT! I had a 12 hour day last week where it ran in the back of the Jeep. It was over 90 degrees, and the top/doors were on, so the Jeep was really hot inside. When I got to the Jeep, I grabbed a nice 33 degree lemonade and the Jeep started right up. The battery was in good shape. That was really the big test. I won't be having it sit for any spell longer than that, and certainly not in hot weather like that. Mainly, it will be overnight. Here are a couple pics...

Reactions: McMurf

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

I have a 40L snomaster for some years now and i'm very happy with it, mine came with a insulation-cover too, AFAIK all models are shipped with a cover.
In many tests i've read over time the snomaters are often on the lower end of initial cool down times, so that's something to consider if you're very spontaneous with your trips.
All in all it's a very robust and reliable fridge and i prefer the steel casing by far over any plastics like the ARB or Dometic fridges, also support is superb, they ship spare parts all over the globe.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I have a 40L snomaster for some years now and i'm very happy with it, mine came with a insulation-cover too, AFAIK all models are shipped with a cover.
In many tests i've read over time the snomaters are often on the lower end of initial cool down times, so that's something to consider if you're very spontaneous with your trips.
All in all it's a very robust and reliable fridge and i prefer the steel casing by far over any plastics like the ARB or Dometic fridges, also support is superb, they ship spare parts all over the globe.
I like their steel models, too. They were just larger than I wanted. However, this LS35 has the same compressor as larger units, so it cools off surprisingly quickly. They have developed a cover for this one, and I'm supposed to have it within a month or so. One interesting thing is that with this plastic one, they warranty the compressor for 7 years instead of their normal 5. Could it be that it isn't working as hard? Not sure. Either way, their warranties, whether 5 or 7 years, are the best in the industry. That's why I went with this one.

I do wish the 35 had come with the remote like the steel ones do. That's a particularly nice unit, with solar power and the built-in flashlight.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I've got an ARB, that I was given. If I wasnt given it, I wouldn't have bought one. I have had issues with the fridge multiple times shutting off and not working completely, and I've had to fix it myself numerous times. The few times I've contacted ARB, thier customer service has left something to be desired. I'm to the point that I hope it fails again so I have a reason to go to a Dometic 95 qt.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I've got an ARB, that I was given. If I wasnt given it, I wouldn't have bought one. I have had issues with the fridge multiple times shutting off and not working completely, and I've had to fix it myself numerous times. The few times I've contacted ARB, thier customer service has left something to be desired. I'm to the point that I hope it fails again so I have a reason to go to a Dometic 95 qt.
That's a bummer. When I was considering an ARB, their guy went on and on about how good their support is. Sounds like they need to step it up. How long have you had it?

Btw, Dometic makes the ARB. Maybe their CS is better? I think CS is VERY important, because these types of things are complicated and can fail. I can deal with a problem if there is excellent support in getting it resolved.

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

That's a bummer. When I was considering an ARB, their guy went on and on about how good their support is. Sounds like they need to step it up. How long have you had it?

Btw, Dometic makes the ARB. Maybe their CS is better? I think CS is VERY important, because these types of things are complicated and can fail. I can deal with a problem if there is excellent support in getting it resolved.
I've owned my arb for about 3 to 3.5 years now. Its currently working and has been working for a long while so I wont upgrade until necessary.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

That’s really surprising. I own an ARB fridge, drawers, and awning. They’ve always been extremely helpful on the phone when I’ve called. I can always get someone on the phone and they’ve always helped with whatever the issue may be.

Vinman

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I have an Engel MT35 which I purchased in either 2003 or 04, it has been running about 80% of the time since I bought it. The last 4 summers it has been running in the back seat of my work truck for everday use and spends off seasons in the house running. This fridge has spent many, many miles bouncing around the trails in the back of my Jeep Rubicon as well as many miles on road. I like the simplicity of it and rugged construction the metal casing provides. While it does not have the features of newer units like temp display and auto shutoff I can only remember one time where I ran it long enough to run the battery down to where I needed and boost to start the truck. (That truck had a single battery)
My current truck is a Ram Diesel with two of the biggest AGM batteries I could fit and have had it sit for almost a week with the fridge runnng and it still started effortlessly.
He current Jeep LJ will be getting a second battery soon as well.