Lazy Turtle

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Wilmer, Al. 36587
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4PLW
ARB Lockers front and rear, re gear from 3.73 to 4.56... Does this sound right for a 2017 JKU Big Bear with 3.5 lift and 33in tires? don't plan on rock crawling but want to be able to climb trails , logging roads , forest roads ect. I will also pull about 3300 lbs of off road trailer on part of my travels, trailer will be mostly Base camp. Thinking about having Northridge 4x4 in Denver do the work, any thoughts on this.

Reactions: sabjku

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

That is what I'm going with in my Xj, I think it would be perfect even for some more extreme trails if you have some armor under your rig.

Lazy Turtle

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Wilmer, Al. 36587
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4PLW
Only have factory skid plates that came with jeep also have a catback exhaust that replaced the factory muffler. Going to expo west then up to Denver for lockers and re-gearing

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Nice, I'm sure you will be happy with the change. I too am working on a trailer for my outdoor excursions. It's a work in progress. But that is the best reason to go with the steeper gears.

Your Jk isn't a Rubicon is it? (Because if it is I think that would be the ultimate set-up)

Lazy Turtle

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Wilmer, Al. 36587
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4PLW
Sorry not a Rubicon, just 4 door JKU Big Bear gobie roof rack warn winch Lod front and rear bumpers swing out spare tire with jerry can holders Lod rock rails 3.5 Lift 33in tires ridge grapplers just took out rear seats installed goose gear plate and cubbies. this is my first jeep my retirement gift to me. I been working on this since last year with the goal of making the 2019 Expo west. I'm starting out there in the next five days. Moving at Lazy Turtle speed Hope to iron out my load out by the time i get there. Still a few last min things to finish

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Nice, a great platform.. just a rubi has that 4-1 transfer case which really would be nice to have. With the lockers and gears you will have an excellent rig to explore the country.
Using your rig for overlanding takes a lot of tial n error. Last August I got the chance to do the Alpine loop area for 4 days n 3 nights. I have a sleeping platform I made for it and ones of those storage bags for the roof. I am considering making a roof rack and buying a Gazelle tent in the future. It was a great trip. In fact one for the ages. If you ever get the chance to explore that part of region. You will understand. I want to take my wife there next time since I now know what trails she can handle. We took my daughter and spouse and three grand kids. to Ouray 4 years ago but only did Yankee boy basin. (Since they don't like shelf roads).
I am semi-retired. Change from working a biz and having no real vac. Time to taking a position with the school system so I have summers, x-mas, thanksgiving and spring break of. Also all holidays. Hoping to get my rig to where I want it to be. For 28 year old vehicle I am very pleased with how it has preforms but would like to add some improvements.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

ARB Lockers front and rear, re gear from 3.73 to 4.56... Does this sound right for a 2017 JKU Big Bear with 3.5 lift and 33in tires? don't plan on rock crawling but want to be able to climb trails , logging roads , forest roads ect. I will also pull about 3300 lbs of off road trailer on part of my travels, trailer will be mostly Base camp. Thinking about having Northridge 4x4 in Denver do the work, any thoughts on this.

@Lazy Turtle , that combo sounds about right based on tire size and the weight. I'm in the same situation as you, and just made an appointment today to go from 3.73 to 4.88 in my 2016 non Rubi JKU. It sounds like I'm pulling a lighter trailer than you, probably coming in somewhere around 1200pds loaded. The shop I'm going to actually talked me out of doing lockers surprisingly, and they've been installing them for years. They basically just said if I wasn't crawling, then I really wouldn't need them. I'm sure there's some truth to that. They basically said that with my current suspension, ride height, tires, etc and the regear, that I'd most likely never be in a situation to where I'd need them. I think I'll take their advice and just save the money.

Good luck with your regear! I'm sure we'll both be totally happy with the change!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

@Lazy Turtle , that combo sounds about right based on tire size and the weight. I'm in the same situation as you, and just made an appointment today to go from 3.73 to 4.88 in my 2016 non Rubi JKU. It sounds like I'm pulling a lighter trailer than you, probably coming in somewhere around 1200pds loaded. The shop I'm going to actually talked me out of doing lockers surprisingly, and they've been installing them for years. They basically just said if I wasn't crawling, then I really wouldn't need them. I'm sure there's some truth to that. They basically said that with my current suspension, ride height, tires, etc and the regear, that I'd most likely never be in a situation to where I'd need them. I think I'll take their advice and just save the money.

Good luck with your regear! I'm sure we'll both be totally happy with the change!
I would agree with the shop, except that the lockers like Arb are selectable and would come in handy in so many situations. But with a winch you are fine and the money could go elsewhere, like gas......

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The regear sounds fine, you might want to look at ox cable lockers. With the ox you can leave it ingauged all the time like having a spool and disengaged it will on the street, plus the come with manual engagement nut if something went wrong with the cable. I put them in two of my vehicles.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I got my Jeep back last week after getting the re-gear to 4.88's. Still in the break-in period but so far it feels MUCH nicer! No more hunting between gears and it feels so much better with my normal around-town driving as well. Can't wait to get past the break-in and see what it really feels like when driving it a bit more normally. Did some ARB diff covers at same time, but did not do lockers.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I got my Jeep back last week after getting the re-gear to 4.88's. Still in the break-in period but so far it feels MUCH nicer! No more hunting between gears and it feels so much better with my normal around-town driving as well. Can't wait to get past the break-in and see what it really feels like when driving it a bit more normally. Did some ARB diff covers at same time, but did not do lockers.
Unless you are doing extreme trails I feel that installing just a rear locker (selectable) would be sufficient for exploring the back country. I'm glad your gearing is working out. It is nice to have the gear/tire size ratio correct for the street. I hate the way it is now for me, I should have stayed with my 31s, but
I also couldn't stand the mudd tires, they were like rolling on rocks. So saving for the re-gear

Lazy Turtle

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Wilmer, Al. 36587
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4PLW
thanks for the input , going do the lockers, twin compressor, not doing the rewear at this time, But will install Terra flex Outback springs front and rear to get the rear end back where she should be. talked with a lot of people at expo 19 and this is solution that most came up with. Don’t have time for Break in period on re gear so will wait on that.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Unless you are doing extreme trails I feel that installing just a rear locker (selectable) would be sufficient for exploring the back country. I'm glad your gearing is working out. It is nice to have the gear/tire size ratio correct for the street. I hate the way it is now for me, I should have stayed with my 31s, but
I also couldn't stand the mudd tires, they were like rolling on rocks. So saving for the re-gear
I really wanted to do lockers, but knowing myself and where I go, I just couldn't justify it. I'll never be able to "outperform" my vehicle anyway lol. And I agree about the gearing. I didn't realize what I was missing, and now I'm thankful I did it for sure.

Yea, mud tires on the street definitely feel much different than an AT tire. I did the same thing earlier this year as well-switched out my Trail Grapplers for Ridge Grapplers.

Reactions: JDGreens

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I love ox lockers I run there cable set up in my jk there are great I’ve had bad luck with arb lockers
I have an Ox Locker in the rear of my XJ and love it. Cable operated.

I think the key to happily running an Ox Locker with a cable is to properly install the cable. It needs to be run the same way the factory runs e-brake cables. That means a proper fitting coming through the firewall or floor and careful routing underneath, including guides and springs to keep it out of trouble and yet allow freedom to move with suspension. That is more work than some folks are willing to do. But then they blame Ox for the problems with the cable.

I find it hard to believe that someone would say you only need a locker if rock crawling. I have found mine most useful for getting through obstacles that come at an angle and result in traction problems at opposite corners. It doesn't take rock crawling to find those. Just erosion on a forest trail will create that situation.

Lazy Turtle

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Wilmer, Al. 36587
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4PLW
I really wanted to do lockers, but knowing myself and where I go, I just couldn't justify it. I'll never be able to "outperform" my vehicle anyway lol. And I agree about the gearing. I didn't realize what I was missing, and now I'm thankful I did it for sure.

Yea, mud tires on the street definitely feel much different than an AT tire. I did the same thing earlier this year as well-switched out my Trail Grapplers for Ridge Grapplers.
Your rig sounds great