Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Looking for suggestions from you guys.

I will be heading to CO for the Overland Midwest meetup and figured it was time to update the jeep.

I do have a build thread on here but I added quite a few other options some of which have added some serious weight.

I have added a tuffstuff 13,500lbs winch to my front bumper, a Tuffstuff RTT on top of my gobi rack.

Up coming purchases:

295x70x17 Patagonia Tires

This is what I need your help on...do I do the Old Man Emu 2.25in lift or the AEV 2.5in lift. With all of my camping equipment it does add significant weight.

I also use my jeep as my daily driver.

I have provided links for both down below.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I am switching my AEV 2.5" DS springs for Metalcloak progressive overlanding springs. From what I've read, they are a better fix when the rig is empty vs loaded. I have JKS front sway bar and a Helwig (AEV branded) rear sway bar with AEV tuned Bilstein 5100's.

I have a 2017 JKU with a roof rack, skids, AEV bumpers, 35/10.5/17 Kenda Klevers on AEV Saltas, Smittybilt hinged tire carrier, Fishbone 5" wide steps, etc, (in other words, its heavy) so before I put myself and my wife in the rig, and all our gear, we max out the GVRW pretty quick. The AEV springs feel soft at full load. The Metalcloak springs are supposed to be softer riding when empty and firmer riding when heavy, potentially reducing roll and bottoming out the jounce.

You cant go wrong with OME. Excellently engineered products, but more expensive, I think primarily due to duty taxes from Australia.

AEV created the aftermarket all in one kit for Wranglers and have former FCA engineers as owners and designers.

Rubicon72

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austin, Minnesota
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Member #

Thank you for the feed back! I did end up pulling the trigger today. After convincing my wife, I called up Northridge4x4 and ordered 5 Patagonia Tires (295x70x17), the AEV 2.5 lift kit and the geometry correction brackets. Overall they were able to work with me on the price and got it down a little bit. Everything should be here in 7-10 days. I will make sure to update my build thread and take lots of pictures.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

If you are doing your own lift install, take pics of everything. Its a popular and excellent setup. Others would enjoy hearing your install experience.