Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I've been considering replacing the front bumper on my WJ for a couple months after my concerns with needing a winch. The ARB bumper seems to have a good following in the overlanding community and I can see why. Good front end protection. Accessibility to the winch. And they look good. My question for those that have owned or currently own one, what do you do about the lack of recovery points on the bumper? I know they have tow point eyelets, but those are not rated and look rather flimsy compared to all the other recovery points I've seen on bumpers. Just trying to gain some insight on this before I drop a little over a grand on the bumper and get myself into a situation where I'll need the recovery points. Thanks you in advance for your input!

NW Adventure & Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hart
Member #

Service Branch
Army - Former
I've been considering replacing the front bumper on my WJ for a couple months after my concerns with needing a winch. The ARB bumper seems to have a good following in the overlanding community and I can see why. Good front end protection. Accessibility to the winch. And they look good. My question for those that have owned or currently own one, what do you do about the lack of recovery points on the bumper? I know they have tow point eyelets, but those are not rated and look rather flimsy compared to all the other recovery points I've seen on bumpers. Just trying to gain some insight on this before I drop a little over a grand on the bumper and get myself into a situation where I'll need the recovery points. Thanks you in advance for your input!
I have an ARB on my 4Runner and they recommend using what ever recovery or tow points your rig has from the factory. Mine has 2 welded on locations at the front of the frame. If you want some on your bumper you may need to look at another brand. ARB has great customer support and may have another alternative, I would give them a call. Hope this helps.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have an ARB on my 4Runner and they recommend using what ever recovery or tow points your rig has from the factory. Mine has 2 welded on locations at the front of the frame. If you want some on your bumper you may need to look at another brand. ARB has great customer support and may have another alternative, I would give them a call. Hope this helps.
I have some aftermarket ones that essentially utilize the factory location but are stronger. I did end up contacting ARB about it and they said the factory recovery points are still accessible (thankfully). The next closest bumper in style and functionality has built in recovery points, but it's definitely heavier and about $600 more. Thanks for the input! I like the look of the ARB bumper and the ability to add a winch for less than most bumpers with that coverage, AND if the need arises I can attach limb risers to it as well.