Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

Can anyone tell me the time difference in airing up between the dual and single ARB compressors? The dual is now approaching $600! I’m going to be running 33” tires on my YukonXL. I’d rather save $250 to buy all the rest of the stuff(air hose etc) if I’m only going to be saving a few secs by using the single. If there are overheating issues with the single vs. the dual, than that’s a different story and may be worth the extra cost.

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

You should be fine with the single. I had one on my Tundra and never had an issue. I think the most tires I filled was 10 ish and it was still going. Mostly it will just take longer,

Reactions: RAMXPLR

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

I have a twin ARB and 35's. I usually air down to 18 or 20 psi and run my street pressure at 38 psi. I can't advise on the single but the twin is very fast. I'm aired up from start to finish in about ten minutes. The speed also encourages me to air down when I'm not sure how rough the trail will be.

jeeper_4_life

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kansas
First Name
Rob
Last Name
E
Member #

Doesn't necessarily help your original question, but there are companies that sell York compressor mounts for LS/vortec engines. You could go engine driven and a junkyard York 210 AC compressor. Add coalescing filter, manifold, and a tank.

Goat built you might have to call, as the site says York, but compressor or bracket really isn't shown other than relocation for alternator.

Daves custom unlimited show bracket, but doesn't show the alternator relocation, so probably more things to buy?

Something else to consider vs electric options.
My York on my Jeep with 2.5 gal tank will air a single 37" tire from 3 psi to 20 psi in less than a minute.

Reactions: RAMXPLR

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I have a twin ARB and 35's. I usually air down to 18 or 20 psi and run my street pressure at 38 psi. I can't advise on the single but the twin is very fast. I'm aired up from start to finish in about ten minutes. The speed also encourages me to air down when I'm not sure how rough the trail will be.
This.

I run a Puma 12v, which is roughly 85% as fast at nominal tire pressures as the ARB Twin (~3.5 CFM @ 40 PSI for the PUMA vs ~4.0 CFM at 40 PSI for the ARB twin). It takes me about 5 minutes to inflate my <31s" from 15 to 35 PSI, plus about 3 minutes of setup and teardown.

I have experienced and observed using "perfectly adequate" $50 air pumps. It is easy to say "for the once a month I'll use it, I don't mind spending an extra 10 or 15 minutes inflating." However, I have found I am much more likely to just go ahead and air down even when I am just on dirt or forest service roads, because 1) it really smooths out the ride (for both passengers and the vehicle), and 2) I know it won't take much time to reinflate (7-8 total minutes is an easier sell than 18-20+).

Of note, I ended up getting the Puma because it is about 40% of the cost of the ARB twin despite, again, ~85% of the total airflow. That is, it is both notably cheaper and significantly more powerful than the ARB Single. Plus, it's tank makes it more capable of running air tools if that is valuable to you. Still, in light of what I said above, and given I use all cordless power tools now, I'd have probably gone with the ARB twin for its relative compactness. If you have the space, though, it is really hard to beat the Puma 12v for the value.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Doesn't necessarily help your original question, but there are companies that sell York compressor mounts for LS/vortec engines. You could go engine driven and a junkyard York 210 AC compressor. Add coalescing filter, manifold, and a tank.

This reminds me that I have a York compressor sitting around in the garage that I never used. If anybody is interested in one send me a PM.

Reactions: M Rose