Apalachicola National Forest

• HTML tutorial

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

I am currently planning a trip to the Ocala National Forest, Florida, for the dates of February 16- February 18th. We will be exploring the area and doing some primitive camping. Our current schedule is to leave from Macon, Ga at 5am February 16th for our 309 miles drive to the ONF. We will then begin exploring the unknown (to us). I will be routing our adventure on my tablet using Gaia Maps. So far the trip will include myself, my wife, our 2 dogs, and my good friend. We will be using 2 vehicles, my 2017 Taco and my friends 2004 4Runner.

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Ocala National Forest is a great place to explore. I spend a month or so every winter in that part of Florida. I have done most of my back road exploring on my fat bike. The wide tires on those loose sandy roads work well. This year I'll be in my Jeep Liberty , or Tacoma. Please keep us updated on your trip, I'll be right behind you by a few weeks. Are you planning to head south from your home on the highway, or seek out some dirt alternatives ? I'd like to find more north/south dirt roads to travel on from the Northeast to Florida. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Ocala National Forest is a great place to explore. I spend a month or so every winter in that part of Florida. I have done most of my back road exploring on my fat bike. The wide tires on those loose sandy roads work well. This year I'll be in my Jeep Liberty , or Tacoma. Please keep us updated on your trip, I'll be right behind you by a few weeks. Are you planning to head south from your home on the highway, or seek out some dirt alternatives ? I'd like to find more north/south dirt roads to travel on from the Northeast to Florida. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

Shifted gears and are going to Apalachicola National Forest now instead due to a Rainbow Gathering at Ocala National Forest.

Vtpeter

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vermont
Member #

Ohhhh ! The Rainbow Gathering. They were in central VT in the early 90's. We ran into them on a mountain bike team training ride. An unexpected and odd encounter. 2years ago they were in the Green Mountain National Forest, next town over from us. I did a lot of reading about them (from their own sources) and decided to go see for myself. You are making the right decision to explore somewhere else. Keep the updates coming. I haven't been to Apalachicola NF, but I've done some sand road mapping for future fat biking adventures there. Looks like a great spot.

Reactions: quadabaum