Anything to do in Sequoia National Park?

• HTML tutorial

Roelof Swanepoel

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Rogers, Arkansas, United States
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Swanepoel
Member #

Hey,

So I am taking the wife camping for her B-day in a few days and she wants to go to Sequoia National Park (The camp site near Kernville CA). Other than hiking about and going on long walks, what else is there that we can do? Mountains, lakes, waterfalls? Also, is there anything that I should look out for and be aware of i.e. snakes, bears, mountain lions? I have never been camping on this side of the country, and just want to be as prepared as I need to be. The baby will be coming with us, so I just want to set my wife's mind at ease. I have been camping with my dad since I was a kid, so I am no stranger to roughing it. I just want to make sure we are safe and that she enjoys her time. I plan on doing this with her and eventually the grown boy on a regular basis, so a good first experience for her will go a long way in having her come with us in the years to come.

Anyway, thanks for the hints and help. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Respectfully,

Rudy.

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I haven’t been yet, just moved to CA myself, but when I checked the only campground that was open in Kernville right now is Pioneer Point. Is that the one you're planning on?

I was thinking of going up there the end of the month but also debating heading east to the Grand Canyon. If you do go, be sure to report back. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's curious about the conditions up there.

NoOne

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks are a few hours south of my location. They are actually two different National Parks, but adjacent to one another. The last time we went must have been 2015. Nice, but typically crowded, like pretty much all California attractions.

If you are into caves at all, check out the Crystal Cave Tour. I’m no spelunker, but I’ve been to several caves in the central Sierra Nevada range and like this one quite a bit. Its a physically easy tour.

Here is a link to the National Park Service website for Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks
Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

Keep traveling north and you will run into Yosemite National Park. This is where you will find awesome granite structures, waterfalls, and an endless supply of people from around the world. That is, unless, you actually get out of the Valley and into the rest of park, which is where most people don’t go.

I’m a new Member to this website, but I did notice that there are multiple members from the Fresno, California, area and they are probably much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks as they are closer to them (I’m closer to Yosemite National Park).

TheHulls

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Rockville, Montgomery County, Maryland, United States
First Name
SarahAndDaniel
Last Name
Hull
Member #

Travel restrictions dependent, we are hoping to explore the Sequoia/King National Parks area in Aug20, and appreciate the Crystal Caves Tour, let's see if anything else pops up for additional recommendations. We will add a few if/when we are permitted to explore again. Daniel

MrTheKiller

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Norman, OK, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

New to California to, I live in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada and love it here. We have a few other members in the.vacinity.... Can't wait until we get some group trips planned.
I'm kinda starting from scratch on my builds since I sold my jeep before I moved here... The old reliable Z71 will have to make due for now.