Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

I'm aware of Shiftpods and read plenty of reviews. I'm specifically interested in anyones opinion on the Shiftpod Mini. I don't need the full size version but I'm curious how practical the Mini is when it comes to space.

If anyone wants an Oztent Jet tent f25 let me know.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
They just came to market so I doubt there is much real world experience yet. I love my 2.0, no complaints at all. The owner is a stand up guy that does a lot for the community as well.

Sami Halim

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello,

I got a shiftpod mini not long ago from the local warehouse sale the company was having. I plan on taking mine to Burning Man this year and the mini will only house me. Some general feedback:
- it is 72 in x 72 in x 56 in (if you are under 6 feet this will do you good if you are taller sorry bud)
-trying to find any sleeping pad or cot was not so easy you definitely need something that is 72 in or smaller but it is possible
-I still plan to use a canopy for extra shade
-easy setup and take down
-I hear the full size ones get hot I am expecting this one to get hot as well in the desert
-overall I am happy to own one and looking forward to testing it out in the desert this year

Attachments

Reactions: soul rebel and Cort

soul rebel

Rank 0

Traveler I

Toronto
I'm thinking about getting one. Can you please tell me how did you manage to find an air mattress that fits in 72x72
Any room for a full size air mattress ? Possible for 2 people to sleep? Thanks in advance

soul rebel

Rank 0

Traveler I

Toronto
Hello,

I got a shiftpod mini not long ago from the local warehouse sale the company was having. I plan on taking mine to Burning Man this year and the mini will only house me. Some general feedback:
- it is 72 in x 72 in x 56 in (if you are under 6 feet this will do you good if you are taller sorry bud)
-trying to find any sleeping pad or cot was not so easy you definitely need something that is 72 in or smaller but it is possible
-I hear the full size ones get hot I am expecting this one to get hot as well in the desert
-overall I am happy to own one and looking forward to testing it out in the desert this year
Where did you find the sleeping pad that fits in mini?

Sami Halim

Rank 0

Traveler I

Where did you find the sleeping pad that fits in mini?
Hey,

I got a sleeping pad from rei, you have to look but you can find the 72 in ones by 2.5 thick, the site won't let me post the link, and the same for the cot, I got that from Dicks sporting goods took some digging but found one that was exactly 72in

I would say you can get two sleeping pads and put them next to each other or sleep at an angle, it is definitely a tight fit inside

Hope that helps

Sami Halim

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey,

I got a sleeping pad from rei, you have to look but you can find the 72 in ones by 2.5 thick, the site won't let me post the link, and the same for the cot, I got that from Dicks sporting goods took some digging but found one that was exactly 72in

I would say you can get two sleeping pads and put them next to each other or sleep at an angle, it is definitely a tight fit inside

Hope that helps
I am only using it for myself, two people can
Hey,

Hope that helps
The sleeping pad I found is only meant for one person but you can get two and line them up, it takes some creativity but it is possible, also the sleeping pad is 72 in h x 25 in w

Oxidad

Rank 0

Contributor I

Truckee, CA, USA
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Davenport
Hello,

I got a Mini just in time for 2019 Burn, first one I’ve been to. A few issues with the Mini I’ve not seen written anywhere else:
ⓐ No opening to exhaust an AC.This is major. While they state this, it’s not obvious how important an omission this is. Alone it would cause me to reconsider buying the Mini. I tried reducing the portable AC exhaust from 6” dia. to 3.5” (approx dia. of port for wires) but it was unstable and probable that the resistance would overheat the AC compressor.
ⓑ There’s discussion somewhere about filters for the 4 screened ports, very necessary when it starts blowing on the Playa, but I found nothing on the website and there are no Velcro strips or other means to fasten them. The ports close with zippers, but then it’s an airtight pod which you will suffocate in.
ⓒ The four zipper pulls on the front door ALL say “EXIT” on them! 2 are for the screen, 2 for the outer cover. This is just plain short-sighted (euphemism for “stupid”). Since they are indistinguishable, it’s too easy to pull the wrong one, either closing when u want to open, or closing/opening the wrong one. Each should be labeled or colored differently.
ⓓ The shape of the door is inexplicably inhuman. That is, it narrows to a point at the bottom, making it nearly impossible to step in or out without catching a foot on the door frame. It’s easier to duck your head to miss hitting on the upper frame; should be wider at the bottom.
ⓔ I used a 72” long Thermarest as a mattress on the floor. Going between opposite corners, it touched the tent walls at both ends but fit OK. I’m 6’0” and didn’t hit feet or head on tent walls. Initially I placed the Thermarest from near the door opening across to the far “corner.” I soon realized it works/fits better to go perpendicular to the door; this gives you room to step in (inevitably getting the floor dirty, but not your bed); and there was enough room on two sides for a portable AC, a small shelf and your handheld junk where you can find it.
ⓕ Next version should be just a few inches taller. Average American men are taller than 5’6” and being unable to stand up straight, or nearly so, is cramping and uncomfortable. You can’t do much from your knees, and your back will soon protest.
ⓖ There is only one place (top center) to put a hook to hang a light or a hangar. Numerous loops sewn in would greatly improve the customizing options. Further, there is NO place to hang anything on the outside. A few loops sewn in would help a great deal.
ⓗ The “Blast Shield” is basically a shiny reflective rainfly intended to provide shade. Forget it. You need more space between it and the tent roof for air circulation. In other words, this tent will not let you sleep past 9am at Burning Man unless you have an independent shade structure overhead.

Reactions: SCTX