Anyone with a hatchback or smaller crossover?

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

Looking for ideas for a new rig, time to move on from the Focus RS. Would prefer a small suv/crossover or hatchback that is offroad dependable and can tow an under 2500lbs trailer. What do you have a hows it work for you. I am thinking small hot hatch or crossover with a manual???? I would prefer a vehicle with a huge aftermarket support, manual, and under $15,000 dollars Tops. I know the BroncoSport is new and more $ but its very intriguing and initial leases and dealer demos would be coming back late summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
I bought the wife a Mitsubishi RVR last year. In the U.S. they're called a Outlander Sport, Same car. Pretty reasonably priced, 10 year warranty, great gas mileage, fair bit of storage and comfortable to drive. The transfer case can be switched from Front wheel drive to part time 4wd and full time AWD. It has handled extremely well this winter in the snow we've had with snow tires on. Out of the box the round clearance is decent. I would need to measure to be accurate but I think it would also handle a good tire size increase. Now I don't know what the aftermarket support is like but there should be something as this car is sold all over the world under different names so it's worth checking into. It's worth looking into for sure. If you do look, just so you know, the regular Outlander is a different car. Bigger and more money. Oh yeah, also now American Built.

Found this from another member:

Last edited:
U

UgotWheelz

Ok noted, but that is AWD this is the 2WD forum looking at FWD. Also that vehicle here only comes with a CVT like all the new Subarus. No CVT for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eriefisher

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

you need to be more specific om how much that trailer will weigh, fuly loaded for a week out including the family
most of the choices you list will not tow 2500#

U

UgotWheelz

you need to be more specific om how much that trailer will weigh, fuly loaded for a week out including the family
most of the choices you list will not tow 2500#
Noted but, I don't know as I do not have a trailer yet. Most the trailers I looked at that was a good average max capacity. I like the fiberglass Scamps but their usually overpriced as collectable. I could build my own that would be far lighter and more functional as I mentioned in my recent DIY trailer post. I have also thought about making my own fiberglass high top for a hatchback sort of a cross between a hippo style camper and a cargo van conversion.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Had a patriot before thisand loved it unfortunately it got wrecked so I got a compass trailhawk it's a little underpowered and the tolerances for modifications is tight but it seems capable at least as capable as my patriot was. It drives great and I am hoping to get it out on the trails this summer to test it out. 20200103_150413.jpg

Last edited:
U

UgotWheelz

Well I said I would not do this unless I got a smoking deal; and I got a smoking deal or at least I think I did. Say hello to the new OverlandBroncoSport. 2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks. Have new offroad wheels and tires on order from 4Wheel Parts with the wheel credit I got from dealer. Hoping for a lift kit and tune in the next few weeks. This is fuly loaded all the tech all the bells and whistles but these things are rare and you have to take what you can get when it is presented to you.
RCMR1972.jpeg

U

UgotWheelz

Update, I still have the BroncoSport, I also found a renovated 1970's fiberglass compact trailer that is well under the towing limit of the BroncoSport. I think that towing capacity is for paved, groomed, flat roads as the BroncoSport just doesn't tow it well off road or when the trail goes up steep hills. The BS is plenty capable for what it is, I would prefer a manual transmission and I have no use for all the tech bells and whistles they are more of a annoyance to me than a benefit.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Update, I still have the BroncoSport, I also found a renovated 1970's fiberglass compact trailer that is well under the towing limit of the BroncoSport. I think that towing capacity is for paved, groomed, flat roads as the BroncoSport just doesn't tow it well off road or when the trail goes up steep hills. The BS is plenty capable for what it is, I would prefer a manual transmission and I have no use for all the tech bells and whistles they are more of a annoyance to me than a benefit.
I've started using a small utility trailer for trips with my family. The compass tows it well and I actually have room for all the stuff my wife wants to bring for a change lol
20210905_135330.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UgotWheelz