Anyone using tire balancing media? (beads)

• HTML tutorial

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Does anyone here use tire balancing media such as beads? If so what are your opinions and recommendations on type of media used and any recommended brands or sources?
I run a 37" tire and as they wear they become more difficult to keep balanced as most larger tire do. I am looking for input from others about this balancing technique and hoping to get away from adding additional wheel weights over time to keep the tires balanced.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I've used air soft pellets in three sets of tires now. 31s, 33s, and now 35s. They have worked well for me. The 33s were Boggers and ran smooth at 65mph on the highway and getting chunks torn out off-road didn't affect the balance.

Reactions: crit_pw

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Tha
I've used air soft pellets in three sets of tires now. 31s, 33s, and now 35s. They have worked well for me. The 33s were Boggers and ran smooth at 65mph on the highway and getting chunks torn out off-road didn't affect the balance.
nks again for your reply TerryD, I have heard of using the airsoft pellets. Is there a general rule of thumb for the amount you add based on tire size or what has given you the best results?

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I run beads with my Methods and Red Letters (beadlocks and 37's) I currently I have 11.2 ounces of beads in them but could probably still use some more as I get a shake in the wheel on and off. The next set of tires will get 16 ounces as they make bags that size, and with beads having more weight is better then having too little weight.

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I'm running 8oz of ceramic beads(used in semi truck tires) in 35' goodyear MTR's. I get a little vibration for the first 100 yards getting on the freeway. They work great after a trail ride when there's mud on the wheels. I know people that have ran steel BB's, the problem is rust. If you still have a vibration after adding the normal amount, you can break the tire back down and add more beads. Good luck, Ron

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Did you end up going with beads?
If so,how much,what brand,and are you happy with the result?
I still plan to go with beads but unfortunately haven't had the chance to yet. I work remotely and haven't had any downtime to work on my truck at all. I have all sorts of upgrades and parts stacking up at home waiting for me and the truck to make it back home. Once I get it all done I will post back with the details and results of my bead balance.