Anyone use Avenza?

• HTML tutorial

CampingFishing

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

I found it linked by the Forest service site for Kaibab National Forest. The maps that are free from the US National Park Service that I have looked at show the park roads and some back roads.

Does anyone have any experience with this app and the maps available?

Thanks,

Rich

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@CampingFishing
I found it linked by the Forest service site for Kaibab National Forest. The maps that are free from the US National Park Service that I have looked at show the park roads and some back roads. Does anyone have any experience with this app and the maps available?
Thanks,
Rich
Never heard of it, googled and found the company but they have a number of mapping products. Which one was linked?

Boort

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Most MVUM maps. Many forest visitor maps are free. You can search from within the app or on the website to see what is free and what isn't. It works well for maps they offer. As soon as you want to import your own maps it gets really expensive. I use it for the MVUM maps because while I love Gaia what it offers for MVUM is not detailed. These are Geo Referenced PDF's (means they work with your GPS). So if there is a map available that you like and it is free Avenza is ok.

I don't think it is a good app for recording tracks, sharing tracks, etc.

Most of the cheaper topo maps which Avenza charges for are "free" in other apps. Meaning if you have a subscription you can download anything you want for offline use.

Traveler I

Miami
I use Avenza and have for a long time.
I find it really good and easy to use.
They offer a lot of maps. They claim over 1 million maps. Not sure how true that is but there are a lot.
Contrary to what 1Louder said, I think that recording tracks and sharing is quite straightforward and easy.
Also in my experience there are a ton of free maps and I have found that the topos and other ones that are free elsewhere like on government sites are also free in Avenza.
I have Gaia too but have found myself using Avenza more lately.
Also, like 1Louder said, they are very responsive and accessible and if you can believe it, they even answer the phone. They seem like a company that wants to do right by their customers.
I recommend Avenza a lot.

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

UPDATE: Recently I have had "dealings" with both GAIA and Avenza. I have to say that BOTH are great in their customer service. And I mean great - Nathan (GAIA) and Rebecca (Avenza) have been so patient with me. I use Apple for GAIA and Android for Avenza.

I also agree with both 1Louder (who I have tons of respect for his insights) and Mr. Rojo Risin. They are both correct. Which is why I use both.

Oh BTW - looks like Google is getting into the download map segment.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
UPDATE: Recently I have had "dealings" with both GAIA and Avenza. I have to say that BOTH are great in their customer service. And I mean great - Nathan (GAIA) and Rebecca (Avenza) have been so patient with me. I use Apple for GAIA and Android for Avenza.

I also agree with both 1Louder (who I have tons of respect for his insights) and Mr. Rojo Risin. They are both correct. Which is why I use both.

Oh BTW - looks like Google is getting into the download map segment.
Thanks for the kind words. Why aren’t you using Avenza on your Apple device(s)? Nathan at Gaia is a good dude.

OrTrek

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Salem, Oregon
Member #

Yes, I would prefer both on Apple. But presently I'm using a iPad 3 (IOS9) which Gaia supports but Avenza doesn't (they're 10). I could use both on the Android 6 tablet I have, but prefer Apple, especially the devices. I probably will break down and upgrade to a newer Apple tablet, but I'm just being stubborn (happens when you get old!). Plus it gives me practice on a Android system. Additionally, I venture to some pretty remote areas for a few days at a time, mostly solo. Having a backup system gives me a little more peace of mind, as Apple can at times (only once for me though) develop some GPS quirks that require a network reset. Of course it makes my Subaru Crosstrek or Jeep Wrangler (TJ) interiors look like a police cruiser with all the damn devices mounted (:.

Dave Decker

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Paradise Hills, NM
Member #

Avenza works pretty well. You can mark waypoints, log tracks etc. You can use any georeferenced map you'd like including topo maps and geologic maps, which I use for work quite frequently. You can even make your own georeferenced maps to download if you have a software program like ArcGIS or similar.

Reactions: CampingFishing

Robbie G

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary AB Canada
Member #

I use both Avenza and Gaia on an iPad. For me, both work very well but I find have very different uses. I love the Gaia maps and tracking for general backroad and backcountry navigation. I also like that I can use it from a PC and spend my work day planning trips. :)

Where I find Avenza to really shine is when I am in Publick Land Use Zones or off-road parks. I have found a tone of free PDF maps that work and since I started using Avenza I no longer find myself digging out a paper map, and trying to reference it to a GPS map to find out that the reason I have just spent the past 15km getting stuck and pinstriping the golly out of my truck just to find out that the trail gets too narrow to pass is because I have at some point in my adventure turned down a dirt bike trail. Where I live there is a good mix of 4x4 truck paths and dirt bike paths and they don't look very different at the beginning. Being able to see where exactly I am on the Land Use Zone Map that shows the different trails is amazingly helpful.

gregmyer

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I use Avenza and all trails. i find that it is ezy to create a rout on all trails, Avenza is really good for tracking and general maps as a supplement to my paper maps. i also use Avenza to document my travels. I can drop way points for camps and whatever ells i want to.