Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

I'm in Wiggins MS and am frustrated that we have some beautiful trails and nothing is going on around here. So here it goes... I've spent years with jeeps guiding trail rides and holding meet ups (jeepz.com PASmokeater). I'd love to get some rigs together and hit some trails around the New Augusta Hattiesburg area. Maybe a few day trips or weekends to start then??? I've never been on the trails down here but from what I've seen they rate about a green (stock) on the difficulty level. I'd like to get at least one more rig to check them out with me so I can recon before planning something. Is there ANY interest in this?

mootruck98

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Madison, MS
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Conway
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5JCL
Let me know when and where. Just getting started, but have Bronco will travel. Just give me enough heads up to work around work and family schedules.

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

I'm retired so it's probably easier for me to work around y'alls schedule. As far as being new I doubt that'll be a problem. I'm not looking at doing anything too wild. I'm definitely for the ride not the hold my beer moments lol

I'll have the essentials (snatch straps, come along, shackles, chainsaw, tools etc.) just in case. I'd suggest a radio (I've always used a cheap hand held cb). Other than that a cooler with some drinks and food and a trash bag or two (tread lightly). I probably won't be camping much but i know of a couple spots in the forest if y'all want to (I wouldn't suggest this until Feb 15th... end of deer season lol)

I started doing research last night on some of the trails up by Ovett and down by New Augusta. It'll be hit or miss because I'm not sure which ones are actually open. It looks like a lot could be run in a day or two. As you said... all I need is a day or two notice to pull equipment together.

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
I've been meaning to check out that area more closely for a while. I had a great aunt and uncle that lived in Petal, but I haven't been over that way in a few years. I've only poked around Camp Shelby a couple of times and have been meaning to scout for some good dispersed camping sites that I can get my trailer in to for quick getaways. Its only about 3 hours for me, so I'd be up for a bit of exploring while its still a little too cold (for us) for camping. I work shift work with every other weekend off/weekdays off sprinkled between and am off this weekend, so I can probably make a run up there Saturday if anyone wants to do something soon. Weather is supposed to be decent, so that might not be a bad day to take a look around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Wolf

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

Saturday is a possibility for me. I have to check my wife's schedule but i think it'll work. I'll post a little later today.

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
Sounds good. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

As of right now the next couple of weeks are looking tough for me. It's the end of deer season and I'm pretty much booked solid whenever the wife isn't working (this is something I want to bring her into)... things will definatly open up after that. I MIGHT get some time in between and will post here. I'm not on Facebook or I'd give y'all my contact info there. If you're interested in grabbing it pm me and I'll give it to you.

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

I'm sorry if I seem to be bouncing around but this time of year is pretty busy. I had a cancelation and it looks like I'm going to be around Friday if that works for anyone....

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

The wife and I are going to head out Friday and check out some of these trails. I'm not sure if it's going to be all gravel roads, if it'll all be gated off, or if we're even going to get the truck dirty. We don't have an exact time yet but if anyone is interested let me know and we'll set that and a meeting place.

Attachments

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

Got out a little today and explored some trails north of Wiggins Mississippi. We stayed on Fire Service road 319 and hit most of the trails branching off of it. Pretty short trails, nothing too technical with some pretty good turn arounds and a few ponds with one trail ending at Black Creek. I'd like to run the ones up by camp shelby but would prefer to do those with at least one other rig.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I'm in Wiggins MS and am frustrated that we have some beautiful trails and nothing is going on around here. So here it goes... I've spent years with jeeps guiding trail rides and holding meet ups (jeepz.com PASmokeater). I'd love to get some rigs together and hit some trails around the New Augusta Hattiesburg area. Maybe a few day trips or weekends to start then??? I've never been on the trails down here but from what I've seen they rate about a green (stock) on the difficulty level. I'd like to get at least one more rig to check them out with me so I can recon before planning something. Is there ANY interest in this?
Set up a rally point. If you build it, they will come.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Got out a little today and explored some trails north of Wiggins Mississippi. We stayed on Fire Service road 319 and hit most of the trails branching off of it. Pretty short trails, nothing too technical with some pretty good turn arounds and a few ponds with one trail ending at Black Creek. I'd like to run the ones up by camp shelby but would prefer to do those with at least one other rig.
While I’ve explored quite a bit in the Tombigbee and Holly Springs NFs, I’m not familiar with Desoto NF. Are the roads mostly gravel or is there a lot of mud? Some of the photos on Google Maps make it look like a somewhat swampy area. Also, are there many/any dispersed campsites? Thanks!

Reactions: 24RobM

24RobM

Rank III
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Wiggins, MS, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
McKinnell
Member #

Most of the roads are either gravel or packed maintained dirt. Some of the secondary trails are mud. Four wheel drive (especially after rain) is definatly suggested. There are quite a few primitive campsites scattered here and there if you want to get AWAY away

Reactions: Tundracamper

mopowered

Rank I

Contributor III

Picayune, MS, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Moseley
Hey looking for places to ride and friends to ride with. I live in Picayune and have a new built 98 XJ. Would love to get it dirty this weekend (Feb 19-20) and I’ve got Monday off too!

Abickers

Rank I

Contributor III

Mandeville, LA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bickers
I live In Mandeville and drive a 21 Rubicon. Always ready for some exploring and trail riding. Would love to plan a long weekend trip to Arkansas or Alabama for camping and wheeling.