Anyone sleep in their truck bed? (No shell)

• HTML tutorial

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

I started this overland thing initially through mountain biking. Camping was just what we did between rides all over California and Vegas/Utah area. Initially I used a full sized tent, then a small bivy. The bivy was nice be I could set it up and tear down in about 3 minute which was nice for those nights where I was still in transit to my ultimate destination. Now I’ve said screw it and just put a sleeping mat in my truck bed and slept under the stars. I have a -20 bag, so warmth isn’t an issue and now living in SoCal, most places I go are mosquito free. I do have to take out a little gear, but usually most is out anyway. I’ve never been able to sleep late, so morning sun isn’t an issue either, though I do like to align the front of the truck eastward to give me a little more shade. Plus I’ve always got a rock free flat surface to sleep on.

Anyone else use a similar setup? (or lack there of)

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

I did it for awhile, It works for the pros you listed. But there are some con's. If people who drive by in the middle of the night, seem to want to check out the truck parked off the road. Have a cap or put up a tent they just keep going by. If there are people close by, no where to get dressed. Just in the cab or if you don't mind risking getting arrested. Good luck getting a female to go along with that. If she does she is probably a keeper. I found it to be colder that the ground, back when I was doing it we didn't have the nice sleeping bags or pads we have now. Dew can be a problem in the morning.

If it works for you go for it.

Todd

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

Good luck getting a female to go along with that. If she does she is probably a keeper.

Todd
Haha. Very true. Luckily I’m happily married and my wife (when she comes along) can sleep through anything. SHES A KEEPER

Thought about a RTT and that would be ultimate versatility assuming I get one without a long setup time. Till then, truck bed it is!

Reactions: Todd & Meg

Corey B

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler I

Southeast Wisconsin
Member #

You know, I’ve been thinkn the same thing. I use a great, small, 1-2 person tent when I’m out on the motorcycle. I noticed that its about the size of my Tacoma bed. I was thinking of a deck system that I could just set up the tent on...and stow stuff underneath. Maybe install some eyelets to secure the tent. When packing up, I’ll just take it down, roll it up, and stow it in a bin under the platform..?
Hmmm, you got me thinkn

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I use to sleep in the bed of my Toyota's all the time. I probably did that for 10 (ish) years. I couldn't decide if I wanted a small shell or not. Biggest issue is the cold coming in from the bed sides. If it was winter and threatening, I tied a tarp over it. One day I figured out my tent fit there. If it was going to rain, the tarp went over the tent to keep the water out of the bed. One of my buddies has a tent made for the back of his F150. Don't remember who makes it.

Scott

Reactions: Corey B