Anyone on the rivian pre order list?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Oh, just as an FYI too, since the oil price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia is in full swing, we are getting a deal at the pumps. After this is all back to normal, look out for the price then. the North American Oil gougers.....I mean companies are going to give us 3.00 per liter. We are moving to electric As soon as the infrastructure is expanded here. Thank God Jeep is working on that!!!

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

While I applaud the Jeep initiative for electrification, hybrid engines aren't going to really do much (especially with only 30-35 miles of electric range). Full electric in the coming decade indicates they don't know how to do it and are behind the eight ball.

That said, all electric isn't to the point it can be used for full camp-outs yet. 400 miles (optimal) means only 200 miles away from the nearest charging station. It's not bad for the average camper or maybe a day trip trail riding. We are at an interesting cross-road for sure; figuring out how to make more efficient batteries to hold more charge/get more miles and/or reliable mobile charging solutions for electric vehicles. When the latter solution is figured out I can see a lot more overlanders getting on board with full electric travel.

Disclaimer: I own an electric car and an ICE truck.

While I didn't order a Rivian, I was very tempted to, especially after seeing it at Expo West last year. Since I already owned a Tesla car and am annoyed Rivian didn't create a charging solution compatible with the SuperChargers, I held out for the Cybertruck. Plus, a $100 deposit is friendlier than a $1,000 deposit :grinning:

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Your'e right, it is not a pretty truck, but that could be said for a lot of vehicles currently on the road today :tearsofjoy:. I haven't made a final decision but I have 2-3 years to make one. It's the small details I like: range, adaptive suspension, integrated light bar, integrated tie-down channels in the bed, motorized bed cover (with possible solar option), and power (yes, that ford video was marketing hype, but Tesla is no slouch in the power dept.).

Love my Tesla! Started with a Model 3 performance which I'm currently trading in for a Model S long range. Best daily driver I've owned; so fun to drive and "race" people off the line (undefeated with the exception of a super sports car a few months back) and I don't feel bad about driving 2 minutes to pick up groceries (or driving anywhere really).

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

To answer your original question; yes we are paid reservation holders (11/2018) for the Rivian R1S. We have over 150,000 electric miles of experience and have been active in getting Level 2 and level 3 charging opportunities established in north central Washington. We fully intend to overland with the R1S. We have traveled across the country from coast to coast twice and north to south once. There already exists non Tesla level 3 charging opportunities on these routes. The VW diesel gate penalty is requiring nearly 1 Billion dollars of EVSE infrastructure establishment which is being implemented by Electrify America Home | Electrify America they have already partnered with Walmart and have a pretty strong network of CHAdeMO and CCS units across the United States with more being established each month. Charlene and I know from experience that nearly all RV parks have 240 VAC 50A service which is actually an OK charge if you can dwell there for six to seven hours. These Level 2 units provide about 30 miles of range per hour of charge. We will likely plan trips to include overnights at RV parks alternated with trail camps.

BTW: our 2013 Wrangler (modified) gets 14.2 MPG on the trail with its 18 gallon tank my operational range is about 256 miles. 100 miles in 100 miles out. We carry extra gas... but so far have not used it as even long runs tend to be far less than 200 miles. I know others will have much longer runs to tell about, just giving my experience so far.

Last edited:

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I did not, if I add a electric vehicle to my stable its going to be a car otherwise I still like my fuel burning engine

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
Actually kinda like the look of it other than the headlights. The drawer on the side is a clever idea, too. That being said I'm not the least bit interested in owning one.

As far as gas going back to $3.00 or more a liter ($9.00 a gallon?), I doubt I'll see that here. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Actually kinda like the look of it other than the headlights. The drawer on the side is a clever idea, too. That being said I'm not the least bit interested in owning one.

As far as gas going back to $3.00 or more a liter ($9.00 a gallon?), I doubt I'll see that here. Maybe, but I don't think so.
It was as high as a 1.59 before the drop here. The oil gougers need to recoup their losses somehow....so LOOK OUT. whats the reason for not being interested?

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
It was as high as a 1.59 before the drop here. The oil gougers need to recoup their losses somehow....so LOOK OUT. whats the reason for not being interested?

$1.89 a gallon for regular unleaded here. I can buy a LOT of gas for the price of that truck.

It's also impractical since it wouldn't work for anything more than a half a day drive. It wouldn't even make it to Big Bend Ranch (450 miles + one way). Right now electric may be fine in the city but here they're just a novelty.

uncompromise

Rank V

Advocate I

Buzy, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Not on the Rivian pre-order list, but we were prepared to make a deposit when we decided to relocate from Oakland to the south of France.

As a more general comment on some of the additional commentary that’s come up on this post, I think it’s fair to say that the range of upcoming hybrid and electric 4x4 vehicles is going to fundamentally transform the adventure travel market, and by extension, overlanding. Sure, 400 miles only gets you so far, but depending on the type of journey you’re undertaking, it’s 400 miles from the last refueling point - which means up to 600 miles of range (with the last 200 for the Rivian being without a recharge) from home. That opens up an entirely new set of possibilities for hikers, trekkers, mountaineers, rock climbers, mountain bikers, kayakers, and back country skiers — no matter where they live. For people already living in proximity to the wilderness, 200 miles will get you into the middle of nowhere. Granted, your vehicle won’t have the range or technical driving capability of many of the vehicles in this forum (depending on how you measure capability, given that the 4xe completed the rubicon under it’s own steam), but if you’re in the market for a new, relatively low environmental-impact plug and play adventure machine that just works out of the box? Seems a no-brainer.

Auto transition to hybrid and then full-electric is inevitable. It’s a legislative reality. Tesla, Jeep, Ford, Rivian, Hummer - these are all early movers — and only one of these can legitimately be considered a startup. Tesla, given the links to SpaceX, gets special mention for their desire to push the mobility envelope as far as they can. There’s a reason cyber truck looks like it belongs on Mars ...

As governments introduce new legislation that makes the ownership of a diesel or gas engine vehicle more limited and more expensive (there are already significant restrictions in the EU), the market will move. The trick is going to be for those folks who use vehicles the way we do, to ensure that there is an offering we can take advantage of. This is where communities like Overland Bound have the potential to impact product development, by being in direct communication with these companies and requesting member participation in focus groups, product testing, and test drives. Calling @Michael’s attention to this thread as i believe the latter is an idea worth pursuing.

Last edited:

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

Would be a dream to get on the list for the R1T, just not in my budget right now.
Hoping by the time my current vehicle wears out the price may come down a bit and I’ll have some more disposable $$$.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Care to share your pros and cons?
Sure. Pro's Way less money to travel, no maintenence on the vehicle like fluids, belts, spark plugs air filters etc. Instant torque, quiet, smooth, vehicle is always warm in the winter since full ev's have a heat pump system that uses very little energy so it's running all the time.

Cons...Can't fill up in 5 min. it takes 15 to 20 on a stage 3 charger. That's the only con at the moment.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It is definitely the best looking of the ev trucks, I can see a lot of Ford concept influence on the body. If I absolutely had to have one this would likely be it.

I see a few possible cons to the ev thing though.
1: the elephant in the room is that electricity generation isn't as earth friendly or as reliable as people would like to think, as our power grids age and fail as texas just did what are you gonna do when blackouts or worse happen? We still use waste oil, coal, nuclear, diesel and gasoline to generate electricity, wind has proven to be unreliable and solar is iffy most of the time.

2: id imagine the weight probably isn't going to be good on tires especially loaded up.

3: what do you do if you run out of juice on a trail somewhere? Is there a battery pack that can act as a fuel jug? Can a gas or diesel jump start you somehow?

#4 can you use a winch? Is there a step down transformer for 12v 600amps?

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Sure. Pro's Way less money to travel, no maintenence on the vehicle like fluids, belts, spark plugs air filters etc. Instant torque, quiet, smooth, vehicle is always warm in the winter since full ev's have a heat pump system that uses very little energy so it's running all the time.

Cons...Can't fill up in 5 min. it takes 15 to 20 on a stage 3 charger. That's the only con at the moment.
What if your heading to a trail and want to recharge before hitting the trail and there is no stage3 charger? how long does it take? I think the fliuds are still there arent they? power steering? gear oil? Im not too up on EV, I just see the attraction to it yet

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Another issue I forsee is the fact that today's internal combustion engines are more unreliable due mainly to electronics being used, seems sorta silly to think a thing made entirely of electronics will in any way be more durable. So how easy and costly will it be to repair the electronics used?

Will there be people rebuilding or remanufacturing burnt out motors and other parts for cheap?

Don't lithium batteries still only get about 5000 cycles before needing to be replaced? How many miles of driving and charging before they go bad? Can they be reconditioned like lead acid as to not pollute landfills with lithium and doing un needed mining?

If your doing it for the planets health these are questions that need some answering.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
What if your heading to a trail and want to recharge before hitting the trail and there is no stage3 charger? how long does it take? I think the fliuds are still there arent they? power steering? gear oil? Im not too up on EV, I just see the attraction to it yet
thats what I just said the only drawback is range and charging. No gear oil it's electric motors on each wheel. There maybe steering fluids but thats not somehitng that is changed on a regular basis. The 4xe is the great combination of tech. You have electric for scooting around town and saving gas milage and you have the range of over 600km per tank when in the back country. The drawback of the 4xe is you still have all the maintenance of a regular gas powered engine.