Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I've seen a few posts here about people who integrate water craft of some sort or other into their adventures. Has anyone here named their water rig as many have named their overlanding rig. Naturally most bigger boats have names, but what about little things like kyaks, canoes, tinnies, jon boats etc?
Here's mine (no name as of yet, open to suggestions!):
Mariner3.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Jaxx

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Nice, I don't have and don't plan on buying any kind of watercraft as I'm scared of going into any body of water regardless of size.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Nice, I don't have and don't plan on buying any kind of watercraft as I'm scared of going into any body of water regardless of size.
Some of my most memorable adventures have involved canoes and kayaks. I've learned to love boating from my uncle, who was a sea captain. What is it about boating that scares you?

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

the wife and i just bought kayaks a few weeks ago....i think i should call mine "the back ache". i love kayaking, but it kills my lower back

old, fat, and out of shape isn't a good time to start water sports... :(
Any day above the water and not under it is a good one, right? :D

Maybe some of the kayak experts on here have some tips to reduce the back pain?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's impossible to get into that kayak without getting an inch of water in the seat.

It's not exactly an Epic surf ski.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

Nope. Two stingrays, one giant turtle, five sharks, and thousands of fish in the first 20 minutes at this dive sight. All friendly, except for the turtle that couldn't get away quick enough. Pretty much holds my personal record for most seen per hour of any days travel. Then again, that wreck was a screamer, so the people in the ship weren't as amused.

Back pain, need to sit bolt upright, flex ab's, use a lightweight carbon paddle. Lean forward a bit even. And use a wheel dolly to get the yak to the water.

Slouching is great for down current river rides, but will be pure pain on flatwater lakes.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

We are thinking about naming our future overwater vessel "Elan". We let this Nordhavn get away as retirement is still a few years away for us but a similar boat is in our future. We will start liquidating possessions in the next couple of years so we can throw off the lines and start a new adventure. Although if much more crowded in our area we may pull in the time table.

218244_10150616532605241_7053073_o.jpg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

We are thinking about naming our future overwater vessel "Elan". We let this Nordhavn get away as retirement is still a few years away for us but a similar boat is in our future. We will start liquidating possessions in the next couple of years so we can throw off the lines and start a new adventure. Although if much more crowded in our area we may pull in the time table.

View attachment 107855
Wow! Looks like you're going to have an exciting retirement!

Reactions: Brewbud

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I’m no expert but, if you want to eliminate lower back pain in a kayak, do a C1 conversion. Your knees will hurt if you’re over 40 but let’s be honest... if you’re over 40 and in a kayak, something is going to hurt tomorrow, right @grubworm ?

Reactions: MunsterGeo Overland

Widgeonmangh

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Look into Wavewalk kayaks. I have a couple and you aren't stuck in one position. They are incredibly stable and much different than any kayak you have ever been in.

I have a couple.

As to naming them I have neither named my kayaks or my vehicle, but I have been asked about it multiple times. Have to think of one.

IMG_20190408_090353348.jpg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I still haven't thought of a name for my overwater rig. Not 100% sure I will name it, although I have a couple of ideas of what I might call it. Here's some pics from its latest adventure. Had to launch from some very challenging terrain, but it came through pretty much unscathed.
IMG_20190805_113806825.jpg
IMG_20190805_144316599.jpg
My adventure buddy holding the boat while I got my gloves to recover the motor.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Well, a long time ago I thought that if I ever owned a boat of any sort, I would name it Jolly Rovin Tar, after the old sea song, so maybe I'll do that.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

My kayak does not have a name. Wilderness Systems thresher 155. The rig is named "ballena blanca" white whale in spanish

Reactions: CR-Venturer