Anyone know if Gaia can work off line on a windows based unit using a bluetooth GPS receiver?

• HTML tutorial

Tango Tiger

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

I’m sorry this does not exactly answer your question, but I have done that with my iPad and it works so long as I have downloaded the maps to my device.

gungriffin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
K
I have not figured out how to make it work on a PC without internet. At this point, I do not believe that it is possible. This was the primary reason that I decided to purchase a cheap tablet with GPS.

Lil Bear

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgia, USA
First Name
Working
Last Name
Toomuch
Member #

In order to download maps and layers I believe you have to have internet connection. In order to take what you have downloaded and use offline you will need something that gives it a GPS signal. This is what i've been told as i'm a new user of GAIA. You can import tracks to follow but again you need internet for that process also. Hope this helps.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have the GPS that connects with my laptop. I am thinking of going to a new surface pro X for my main tablet. If I could use Gaia via 'it' I would ditch the rest as I can use the surface for eveything and leave my laptop, etc all at home when on the road to lessen the amount of charging I need to do.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
The challenge is that on a Windows 10 system, GAIA is accessed via a www browser, meaning that you will need to have Internet access for it. They currently only provide stand alone applications for Android and iOS operating systems. Microsoft recently introduced a new feature in Windows 10 that, when connected to your phone, allows the apps to be run in a window on the PC. I am unsure if GAIA would be able to make use of this feature and make use of the computer's GPS... I have doubts. If you want to purchase a Surface, please keep in mind that it runs Windows 10 S, not Android or iOS.

Reactions: RoarinRow

BennVB

Rank 0

Contributor I

North South Wales
First Name
Benn
Last Name
Vincent
I have not figured out how to make it work on a PC without internet. At this point, I do not believe that it is possible. This was the primary reason that I decided to purchase a cheap tablet with GPS.
I guess using a signal booster can help as it boosts the weak signal that's the most frequent problem when you are on road especially in off beat locations.

gungriffin

Rank 0

Contributor I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
K
Where I go there is often no signal to boost. I have a cell booster that I need to install, but it still leaves large dead zones. The table was only $120. It has proven to be worth the price for maps alone. It also works for watching movies/shows as well which is a bonus.

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
if you had a decent cell signal could you hotspot your laptop to your cell phone?