Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I love jogging at home and when I’m on a typical hotel-based vacations. It’s neat to see places from the jogging perspective. I’d like to figure out how I could mix overlanding and jogging. A nice morning jog in a National Forest sounds awesome.

i see two potential issues:
- Showering. That’s easy to fix by only jogging when I’m parked near a stream.
- Storing yucky clothes. To say I sweat when I jog is an understatement. I just don’t see sealing up sweaty clothes in a waterproof bag as a smart thing to do - at least not if I plan to ever wear them again.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Shower vs Towel Bath....
trasharoo for the smelly clothes. definitely do not seal it up.
Laundramats every few days.

I used to mountaineer, 3 or 4 days skiing across glaciers between huts, limited clothing, often no change of clothes, the laundramat and municipal pool were a must visit every trip.

Man I miss being fit and healthy. Sandra about 11,000'

Sandra Nicholas Peak.jpeg

Last edited:

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Showering is not really an issue - ha
Shower vs Towel Bath....
trasharoo for the smelly clothes. definitely do not seal it up.
Laundramats every few days.

I used to mountaineer, 3 or 4 days skiing across glaciers between huts, limited clothing, often no change of clothes, the laundramat and municipal pool were a must visit every trip.
Good info. Showering is not a big issue. Had a hot one this am in the forest. My clothes are usually drenched in the summer. I def wouldn’t wear them twice. Maybe I just need to wait until winter when I don’t sweat as much. Should make the outdoor shower fun!!

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

How about a portable shower? They're pretty cheap and can be found anywhere where camping supplies are sold. You could go all out and get a "mack daddy" shower but a simple one should only be a couple of bucks. As for the wet/sweaty clothes....why not hang them for a bit or leave them on the metal of your vehicle for a bit in the sun? It won't remove the smell completely but will definitely lessen it. If you buy that portable shower, you could use some of that water to rinse off the sweaty clothes before hanging/placing them to dry.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I mountain bike and trail run on trips, stuff will get gross, but its part of it. Good, thin wool stuff helps keep the stank down a bit in my experience... as does washing stuff out when you pass a nearby body of water. And lets be honest, every well used hydration pack or backpack for hiking gets its own stank after time too, its just part of it.

Having a terrible sense of smell helps too. :P

Rambler

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ontario
First Name
Calvin
Last Name
C
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5BEE
I once LIVED in the desert for a bit (US Army) and learned a few tricks that helped with sanitation. I might suggest acquiring a 1.5 liter bottle and fill it with water. That was plenty to transport and usually good for one lather and a rinse. As mentioned, there are cooler, more modern methods such as portable showers and pressurized tanks.

As far as laundry goes, there are environmentally friendly laundry soaps out there. I might suggest something like Scent-a-Way or another unscented soap and large durable waterproof bag. We used Army surplus wet-weather bags, threw in some clothes, a bit of soap and lava rocks (that's what we had on hand) to help with agitation. Then, shanke and bake! You can rinse and wring out the clothes and hang them to dry fairly quick if they're synthetic. This really helped to feel fresh and avoid the itchy, salty, feel on your back from dirty clothes and kept the flies at bay.

Reactions: rho and EXPO_D1

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Yeah, turns out the shower is not an issue - I have that covered (I currently have a shower). My main concern now is the lack of time at a given campsite to dry the clothes.

AppalachianGoat

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dillsburg, PA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
XXXX
Service Branch
USN
yes to the camp shower, NEMO makes an easy one. To dry I hang by clothing from the bars inside my softopper and have a small solar powered fan to keep the air moving inside the topper. Works great for me. I’ve also put them in a small mesh garment bag and closed one end in a window while driving. Sure it gets dusty but after a few miles the sweat takes care of that.