GordyP

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
First Name
Gordon
Last Name
Pomp
AOW diver. I keep my gear in my truck in the event I just want to go. I did that quite often in the Puget Sound when I lived up north but not so much now in California. I need people to dive with here, hint hint.....

Reactions: 06hyperion

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i was on subs in the navy and got my cert while stationed at hawaii...did a LOT of scuba and absolutely loved it. got out of the navy and moved to louisiana and was a commercial diver (mainly oilfield in the Gulf) working for Oceaneering Int'l for quite a few years....made a lot of money and eventually got burned out. sold my dive hat but kept my scuba gear just in case....
i would probably get wet for some salvage or recovery work, but don't see it as 'fun' anymore. it was great back in the day, though...

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

My first cert. was from LA County at 13 years old in 1980. Best class was LA County by far. Second cert. was 1995 with PADI . I haven’t put on a tank 14 years. Will recert. when this when all this clears up, I’ll get a helix cert this time around. I am planing to do the southern portion of the Pan American and plan on diving as part of the trip. Galapagos, and Central America are targets.
I always take and use WF&S on beach trips, on the P A I will have a wetsuit and regulator with me.

Growing up I loved to watch SEAHUNT!

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I love underwater drowning. Just rec here. Don't want to finish all the courses too quickly. This month I was going to get advanced from a local shop that's know for hardcore training, not the fluffy Caribbean type training. But I think covid got them.

The HMS Rhone is the best dive in the western hemisphere. Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan is my second favorite. I want to give Cozumel a second chance, but the cartels literally blew up my seat on the ferry so, nobody will go to coz with me. Since our family vacation is canceled, I might just go by myself this winter. More time for bicycle chica's that way.

Love toying with Scuba gear.

current rig:
DSS SS backplate, with 10# weight plates.
DSS LCD30 wing
Dive Rite XT regs. 5' Long hose and necklace backup. Streamlined hose setup.
Shearwater Terric AI computer
Scuba Pro Seawing Novas (salt water) Hollis F1's (fresh)

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
Hey everybody.. long time no see!!! I posted this thread awhile back and kind of skipped out.

Since the post ive done mostly freediving and got into spearfishing. Got myself a small JBL 38 special speargun and have been hitting on fluke over here in NJ. Also invested in a bcd, reg, and tank. Im heading out to idaho in about a week.. decided to study wildlife resources at UI. Figure it will be an awesome adventure to discover the back country.

Im mapping all the mountain lakes to see which ones are good for diving. Hopefully there will be divers out there, its not really known for it. On my way out there i may get my mine cert, and apparently theres a missile silo certification in Washington that looks pretty awesome.

Anyway.. thanks for the responses.. i should be on here more often now.

Anyone recommend gear storage on your rig? I was thinking a 10 inch diameter PVC pipe would house an 80AL tank pretty well and keep it from bouncing all over the place.

Rich

Reactions: grubworm

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Hey everybody.. long time no see!!! I posted this thread awhile back and kind of skipped out.

Since the post ive done mostly freediving and got into spearfishing. Got myself a small JBL 38 special speargun and have been hitting on fluke over here in NJ. Also invested in a bcd, reg, and tank. Im heading out to idaho in about a week.. decided to study wildlife resources at UI. Figure it will be an awesome adventure to discover the back country.

Im mapping all the mountain lakes to see which ones are good for diving. Hopefully there will be divers out there, its not really known for it. On my way out there i may get my mine cert, and apparently theres a missile silo certification in Washington that looks pretty awesome.

Anyway.. thanks for the responses.. i should be on here more often now.

Anyone recommend gear storage on your rig? I was thinking a 10 inch diameter PVC pipe would house an 80AL tank pretty well and keep it from bouncing all over the place.

Rich
Sounds like you are heading for an interesting adventure. Make sure to do some research on altitude diving before hitting those lakes. Be sure to post up some pics.

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

This is a part of overlanding that I had not considered. It has been a few years, but my two favorites were Hawaii and Cozumel (the wall). Now I am even more excited to get going.

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
This is a part of overlanding that I had not considered. It has been a few years, but my two favorites were Hawaii and Cozumel (the wall). Now I am even more excited to get going.
I havent tried it yet.. just thinking about bringing my gear with me. Its alot of gear to lug around, plus it probably wouldnt be a good idea to have a tank bouncing all over the place. I am considering adding a piece of 10inch pvc though.

Hawaii and cozumel must have been cool.. theres lots of crystal clear waters at altitude too, or so ive heard.