06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
you.. not your rig... but pics of rig snorkels are also welcome.

Discuss.

Do you bring your scuba gear with you? What kind of gear do you have? What are your favorite inland sites to dive? Any hidden sites to dive? What are your top scuba destinations?

I am currently getting NAUI certified and dry suit certified on Dec 2.. currently I have only 8 logged dives at dutch springs in PA, but I plan on diving a lot more. Id like to get to iceland, alaska, and do alot of cold water diving in the future.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
you.. not your rig... but pics of rig snorkels are also welcome.

Discuss.

Do you bring your scuba gear with you? What kind of gear do you have? What are your favorite inland sites to dive? Any hidden sites to dive? What are your top scuba destinations?

I am currently getting NAUI certified and dry suit certified on Dec 2.. currently I have only 8 logged dives at dutch springs in PA, but I plan on diving a lot more. Id like to get to iceland, alaska, and do alot of cold water diving in the future.
Been diving since the 80’s. Certified open water 1,2, Advanced diver, Search & Recovery diver. Have dove the California coastline, Washington state, Hawaii, Johnston Atoll, Thailand & Okinawa! Love to dive but haven’t been able to go in a few years!!!

Reactions: 06hyperion

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

E51C5BA4-CBDD-42CC-8194-E8BA40A30440.jpeg Certified in 82. Mostly snorkel now, wife has ear issues. Florida Keys. My Father was a hardhat diver in WWII . He was the ships diver aboard the USS Kalinin Bay which was in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. He also dove the USS Arizona after it was sunk at Pearl Harbor during salvage efforts.

Last edited:

KRGibbs

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Belmont, CA
Member #

Hard hat dive medic turned pure recreational.

Sipadan is the greatest diving I have ever seen, by far. Limited number of dives allowed per day, island protected from poachers by gunboats and a naval base, machine gun nests on the beach and I have never been surrounded by so much, and varied sea life.

I bring mask fin snorkel regulator and dive comp plus any camera stuff when I fly. Everything else I rent wherever I am going.

CCTX50

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi TEXAS
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Strasheim
Member #

Been diving since 89. Certified to instructor and love diving. Don't take off road with me though. If I knew there would be potential diving I might. I live on the Gulf Coast and dive monthly in just about any mud hole. LOL.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

Been diving since about 99, got certified in California and got to dive all over the world while in the military and on vacations. Dry suit diving, night diving, cave diving. Its like visiting a different planet each time. It has been a few years since I have done it unfortunately.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I don't dive much anymore. I used to teach and run a dive store in SoCal. Actually met my wife working in that store. She came in to take lessons to have more in common with her boyfriend. :tearsofjoy: Of course, I didn't know that at the time. Our goal is to eventually throw off the landlines and cruise off on a boat for retirement. I expect to get more dive time in then.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Snorkel only. I did the Scube Certification but was never comfortable with it. But I love snorkelling off the Keys.

EDIT,

Just realized my first Key Largo snorkelling trip was 50 years ago, 1970.

Last edited:

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I’ve been diving since the 90s. I started at 8. My parents owned a dive shop in Jupiter FL. I have been all over the Caribbean and I’ll stack Jupiter up with any of the islands (except little cayman). I hold Nitrox, open water, advanced open water, rescue diver, and dive master certs.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I love diving ... breathing underwater and floating weightless is the most amazing feeling. Advanced Open Water and Rescue Cert. My dream is to get my cave card.

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
PADI Divemaster. HATE night diving. Your field of vision is entirely dependent upon the strength and beam shape of your dive light. Every time I step off the boat at night the theme music for "JAWS" is resonating in my head. Day-time -- no sweat. Worked summers as a safety diver for a local instructor while he was teaching newbies. Sharks, eels, rays, even a pod of Orca close to the coastline while we were off Laguna was no concern.....but turn off the lights and my imagination brought up all kinds of scenarios.

Swam the black hole in Belize, Philippines are cool and Okinawa was a trip of a lifetime (in the water -- on land - meh, not so much). Coolest land dive was Tenkiller Lake in Oklahoma. Underwater town was awesome.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

PADI Divemaster. HATE night diving. Your field of vision is entirely dependent upon the strength and beam shape of your dive light. Every time I step off the boat at night the theme music for "JAWS" is resonating in my head. Day-time -- no sweat. Worked summers as a safety diver for a local instructor while he was teaching newbies. Sharks, eels, rays, even a pod of Orca close to the coastline while we were off Laguna was no concern.....but turn off the lights and my imagination brought up all kinds of scenarios.

Swam the black hole in Belize, Philippines are cool and Okinawa was a trip of a lifetime (in the water -- on land - meh, not so much). Coolest land dive was Tenkiller Lake in Oklahoma. Underwater town was awesome.

Cheers! I am also a PADI Divemaster (NAUI Instructor). I love night diving on a moonlit night. Once your eyes adjust you can see better than you think. I have done entire dives with my dive light off. Amazing if there is a lot of bioluminescence. Blue streaks wherever there is movement.

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
Former NAUI instructor. Worked for a law enforcement agency in Socal and did several recovery dives. Not diving now due to an ear injury.

RoadRunner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mid-Atlantic region
First Name
Greg
Last Name
G.
Member #

NAUI certified. Been diving the mid-Atlantic and Carolina coasts (wreck diving).
Mainly spear fishing during the day and hunting bugs at night. It’s been a few years since my last dive. if anyone wants to meet up and dive Dutch Springs I’m up for it. Time to get back in the suit. Iceland is amazing, but did not dive it while there. I need to get dry suit certified. Can’t be that hard, I’ve seen plenty of booties sticking out of the water.