Anyone interested in overland trauma/1st aid training?

• HTML tutorial

Outdoor Steve

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Temecula, California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Braucht
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Hi Overlanders,
I am generating interest in a overland specific advanced first aid course. I have a resume of pre-hospital/tactical combat casualty care instruction and real world operational experience.
Before I put the work in for a detailed curriculum and business plan. Would anyone be interested in this type of training?
It would be classroom lecture, practice and then hard work "hands on" scenario based situations. I gaurentee it would be a lot of fun as well.
Some course content:
- Basic 1st aid
- Major trauma management
- Environmental emergency management
- Evacuation (manual and vehicle borne)
- Etc.

I have access to several acres of private property on hilly terrain in north county San Diego just of I-15. 10 to 12 rigs or 20 people max. Overnight camping site. Evening social time. Then more scenarios in darkness until about 10pm or so. You would use your rig and supplied gear and supplies. It would be a phyically demanding class.

I am curious if any of you overlanders would pay $ for a solid hard day of back country "dirt medicine"? How much? I have not priced out supplies as of yet, but I would like to keep it somewhere between $150 to $250 a person. Gotta price out supplies and insurance and the like.

Reply comments in this thread if you think it would be worthwhile.

Regards!

Outdoor Steve

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Temecula, California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Braucht
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Ok, cool. Let the word out to some of your OB friends. Before I make the necessary plans, I am seeing if there is interest. I appreciate your comment. If you are coming from far, you can camp the night prior to the weekend. The owner of the property is good people. Make a weekend of it. I will keep you posted in this thread.

Last edited:

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Their are some really good courses for this already, that provide international recognized certification. How are you planning on differentiating your course. I would be interested on how much value a one day cource would be. That is typicaly less then a First Responser course. Closer to a basic first aid. What do you have in mind for the content. Not trying to be negative, just trying to understand the value.

https://www.remotemedical.com/training/remote-and-tactical-medicine-courses/

Jeff D

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Don't get discouraged in wanting to share what you know on first aid Steve. Maybe consider making some videos and hook up with the OB Leaders and work together to put something together for the OB folks to view. If there serious they'll find someone to practice on. The dog makes for a good victim.

First Aid is a big big deal out there and should be a priority for everyone going to these isolated regions. Without starting a big hoora I'm just going to tell the truth. Most folks are not where they should be in there first aid. Finding a good way to share skills in First Aid (not just First Aid kits) would be good for OB.

And don't sweet the certs. When people get injured out there they know they are in no position to be getting picky. They are just really really hoping you can do something to help them.

Pull something off guys you can do it.

Reactions: jtmiller89

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Don't get discouraged in wanting to share what you know on first aid Steve. Maybe consider making some videos and hook up with the OB Leaders and work together to put something together for the OB folks to view. If there serious they'll find someone to practice on. The dog makes for a good victim.

First Aid is a big big deal out there and should be a priority for everyone going to these isolated regions. Without starting a big hoora I'm just going to tell the truth. Most folks are not where they should be in there first aid. Finding a good way to share skills in First Aid (not just First Aid kits) would be good for OB.

And don't sweet the certs. When people get injured out there they know they are in no position to be getting picky. They are just really really hoping you can do something to help them.

Pull something off guys you can do it.
Love the suggestion.

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Hi Overlanders,
I am generating interest in a overland specific advanced first aid course. I have a resume of pre-hospital/tactical combat casualty care instruction and real world operational experience.
Before I put the work in for a detailed curriculum and business plan. Would anyone be interested in this type of training?
It would be classroom lecture, practice and then hard work "hands on" scenario based situations. I gaurentee it would be a lot of fun as well.
Some course content:
- Basic 1st aid
- Major trauma management
- Environmental emergency management
- Evacuation (manual and vehicle borne)
- Etc.

I have access to several acres of private property on hilly terrain in north county San Diego just of I-15. 10 to 12 rigs or 20 people max. Overnight camping site. Evening social time. Then more scenarios in darkness until about 10pm or so. You would use your rig and supplied gear and supplies. It would be a phyically demanding class.

I am curious if any of you overlanders would pay $ for a solid hard day of back country "dirt medicine"? How much? I have not priced out supplies as of yet, but I would like to keep it somewhere between $150 to $250 a person. Gotta price out supplies and insurance and the like.

Reply comments in this thread if you think it would be worthwhile.

Regards!
This is a great idea @Outdoor Steve !

Before you actually start selling tickets or spots to attend, please contact info@overlabdbound.com to tell them what your plan is and to make sure it's okay to sell to Overland Bound members.

Just so you know, I'm not in any way saying don't do this. If I was on the West coast I would be there with you. Just make sure you run this through Headquarters!

Thanks!

Reactions: jtmiller89

Outdoor Steve

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Temecula, California
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Braucht
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
This is a great idea @Outdoor Steve !

Before you actually start selling tickets or spots to attend, please contact info@overlabdbound.com to tell them what your plan is and to make sure it's okay to sell to Overland Bound members.

Just so you know, I'm not in any way saying don't do this. If I was on the West coast I would be there with you. Just make sure you run this through Headquarters!

Thanks!
Oh I would. I was just seeing if there was any interest. Based on the comments, there is not enough interest for me to jump through the hoops for insurance and all the legal to do it.