Enthusiast I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
BrewinHall
Member #

Hey everyone,

First off, apologies if this is the wrong forum for this. If it is, let me know and I will move it :smile:

Planning a first-time trip to the Mojave road with a friend and looking to see if anyone in the area would like to join. It's my first time out on a trail this year and first time on the Mojave Road, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

When:
October 17th (Saturday) to October 19th (Monday)

Where:
Mojave Road

Details:
- Thinking of starting out on the east side (Laughlin) and driving west
- Start time still TBD
- Going as far as possible by Monday morning / early afternoon before having to head home

Cheers!

Juanito1977

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fresno, CA, USA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Villicana
Would loved to tag along. Never been and I’m just getting into this. Unfortunately I’m not able to do much for a couple months. Also my truck is completely stock right now. 2016 Silverado. Maybe on the next one.

Foxtato

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
BrewinHall
Member #

Would loved to tag along. Never been and I’m just getting into this. Unfortunately I’m not able to do much for a couple months. Also my truck is completely stock right now. 2016 Silverado. Maybe on the next one.
No worries! It's my first time too and with any luck, will see myself back out there in the future. And maybe next, more than a short notice to put together a few rigs.

Reactions: Juanito1977

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
I’m actually going on the 19th or 20th, to do an East-to-West run. Looking forward to staring at the stars for a couple nights in the desert!

Reactions: Foxtato

offkamber

Rank III

Advocate I

Upland, CA, USA
First Name
oleg
Last Name
flaksman
Member #

Service Branch
Active Mountain SAR
My buddy and I will be starting off the 95 (Dead mountains seems to be closed) on Sat around 930 a.m. and plan to be back in Los Angeles before 5 p.m. Monday. Your welcome to join. I will be with my 2 year old so will be making plenty of stops.

Reactions: sportsguy

Foxtato

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
BrewinHall
Member #

My buddy and I will be starting off the 95 (Dead mountains seems to be closed) on Sat around 930 a.m. and plan to be back in Los Angeles before 5 p.m. Monday. Your welcome to join. I will be with my 2 year old so will be making plenty of stops.
We might not be out there in time for 9:30a, but might see you on the trail :)

Where did you see that Dead Mountains was closed?

headhunter

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Altadena, California, United States
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6JIY
I'm new here and just read this. Sounds like a good time! The Mojave Road is on my list, but I need to do a couple more shake down runs to make sure everything it working as it should and that I can trust it. I'm thinking of heading out to Calico this weekend.

How was the Mojave Road?

Christian

Foxtato

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Puyallup, WA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
BrewinHall
Member #

I'm new here and just read this. Sounds like a good time! The Mojave Road is on my list, but I need to do a couple more shake down runs to make sure everything it working as it should and that I can trust it. I'm thinking of heading out to Calico this weekend.

How was the Mojave Road?

Christian
Had a great time. We did the East and Central portion before taking a road to Baker. We both had work the next day and weren't interested in pulling into home too late. Was much quieter than I expected for a weekend - didn't see too many other vehicles and our camp spots were out of the way and quiet. Was a great weekend, overall!

Reactions: EBasil

headhunter

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Altadena, California, United States
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6JIY
Had a great time. We did the East and Central portion before taking a road to Baker. We both had work the next day and weren't interested in pulling into home too late. Was much quieter than I expected for a weekend - didn't see too many other vehicles and our camp spots were out of the way and quiet. Was a great weekend, overall!
That's fantastic!

I like setting out with a loose plan to discover things while still having some bail out points in case the discovery process is taking longer than the overall time we have.

It's not unusual for us to make it part way across a route and then come back to finish it on another trip, because we've found lots of interesting things to look at.

Those bail out points are also good in the event that I need to drag the rig out to a road to have AAA tow me home. That happened earlier this year on a trip across the Bradshaw Trail from the Salton Sea, CA to Blythe, AZ. My sway bar sheared a steel brake line off at the frame and we turned around at about the halfway point to drive out to pavement. Unfortunately, in that particular case the planned bail out points would have required some hills, so I just drove it back out the way we came in on a flatter route in the wash to the Salton Sea. By the way, I've relocated those brake lines since then to keep that from ever happening again. Next time, we'll start in Blythe and run it toward the Salton Sea. I generally prefer starting at the furthest point from home (the way you did the Mojave Road), but the group I was with planned it the other way.

Christian