Anyone in the Atlanta, GA Area?

• HTML tutorial

WillRunner

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loganville, GA
Member #

Hey WillRunner, I live in Woodstock, I too am new to Overland and would like to meet up with some new people to find some new trails. Unfortunately I am working in Afghanistan till December and than I will be back at home full time. Hit me up than if you are still interested and maybe will can plan a trip!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I look forward to getting together when you return! Be safe over there!!

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Keith, dcam, you guys interested on going up to John's mountain on the 20th?
Tentatively I'll say yes "But" we are going up early the next morning to "chase the darkness" the eclipse, so if we go it may have to be an early trip for us with a plan return home by mid afternoon.

It's barely an hour up there for us so for the moment let's call this trip a go. Maybe sometime this coming weekend we can hook up for a cup of coffee as we are close to one another, I'm near the intersection of Bells Ferry/Piedmont/Barrett Parkway, and we can discuss any details. I'll PM you my cell # and we can go from there.

SursOverland

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Just saw your post in the other thread about the eclipse. We had been trying to find something to do for that too but hadnt quite figured out what to do. Maybe we can make that the meetup/group ride?

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Just saw your post in the other thread about the eclipse. We had been trying to find something to do for that too but hadnt quite figured out what to do. Maybe we can make that the meetup/group ride?
Come on with us. We drove up to Tellico last Wednesday to check it out and to see where we were in the totality zone. We were almost dead center with over 2 minutes and 30 seconds of totality. Dcam is coming as well.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

As to the eclipse, the app "Solar Eclipse Timer" is a great app as it finds you on GPS within 3 meters and then gives you the times of the start, begin totality, end totality and end of eclipse. Available at the app store on android device. Not sure about iPhone but I'd be shocked if not.

SursOverland

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Come on with us. We drove up to Tellico last Wednesday to check it out and to see where we were in the totality zone. We were almost dead center with over 2 minutes and 30 seconds of totality. Dcam is coming as well.
I'm on an android device too. I'd be down to go a caravan up that way. We can do this instead of John's mountain. Let me double check with the wife and I'll confirm.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I'm on an android device too. I'd be down to go a caravan up that way. We can do this instead of John's mountain. Let me double check with the wife and I'll confirm.
My route will have me coming up by Amicalola, so I can meet y'all either in Ellijay, Blueridge, or up at Tellico Plains
Sounds good. We'll firm up over the next week or so.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

The wife and I will be setting up at the Tellico Plans Cherohala Skyway Visitor Center (35°22'01.5"N 84°17'50.0"W). We figure its going to be busy around there but there is lots of parking and a number of large fields right behind the visitor center. We will be coming out of Lotterdale Campgrounds around 8 o'clock Saturday morning and driving by the visitor center on the way to Bald River Falls. If it looks like the parking lot is filling up that early we may just swing in and pass on the falls (again).

Reactions: Keith McAlister

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

For those interested, an official OB Meet up is on for Saturday Sept 23rd. All details are found in this Meet up forum under the official "Atlanta Meetup" rallypoint notice.

The hope is to try and have these regular but revolving around the Atlanta area to spread the fun and try to not burden a specific person with having to travel every time. We get enough response we could have more than 1 each month and then do a larger combo on occasion.

A number of people have thrown out ideas that covers a good cross section of interests and these coffee and conversations are opportunities to grow those into realities. The sky is the limit so to speak.

My wife and I have talked about a trip up through the Yukon and Canada's NWT to the Arctic Ocean. For some that might be a conversation to have. Others might not be as far reaching. Let's have them.

Hope to see and meet you there.

Reactions: WillRunner

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

We're headed to Tellico Plains. We wanted not just off the beaten path but also closer to the center of the totality zone. Thus Tellico was picked.
I don't know if I can find a place to stay at Tellico Plain as I will arrived really late on Sunday or after midnight.
My plan is going camping with wife on Saturday and going back home on Sunday evening (wife has to work on Monday)
Quick shower and re supplies the cooler then heading back to the mountain. Either I'm going myself or my neighbor come with me.
Try not to travel far as I don't have enough time on Sunday night.
So not sure if I can make it to Tellico Plain and join with you guys. And I don't want to go to Rabun county area either, it will be really crowded and traffic jam.
I can make it to the Tray mountain (@ the rock) by midnight then setup the camp as the area is clear open sky for viewing solar eclipse. The total darkness of solar eclipse will be less than two minutes.
Unless somebody has an idea to go to some area that I can dispersed camping and view the solar eclipse.

Sent from my LG-K330 using OB Talk mobile app

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

I don't know if I can find a place to stay at Tellico Plain as I will arrived really late on Sunday or after midnight.
My plan is going camping with wife on Saturday and going back home on Sunday evening (wife has to work on Monday)
Quick shower and re supplies the cooler then heading back to the mountain. Either I'm going myself or my neighbor come with me.
Try not to travel far as I don't have enough time on Sunday night.
So not sure if I can make it to Tellico Plain and join with you guys. And I don't want to go to Rabun county area either, it will be really crowded and traffic jam.
I can make it to the Tray mountain (@ the rock) by midnight then setup the camp as the area is clear open sky for viewing solar eclipse. The total darkness of solar eclipse will be less than two minutes.
Unless somebody has an idea to go to some area that I can dispersed camping and view the solar eclipse.

Sent from my LG-K330 using OB Talk mobile app
We are up and out early Monday morning. 6 am if not a wee bit earlier. Tray does sound like a nice spot and yeah a lot of people are heading toward that NE corner of Georgia and up I-85 to the Clemson area. We're just off 575 so we're going up that way and cut over to Copperhill and then north on Tenn. 68. Hoping to make Tellico by 8:30ish and chill out waiting on the celestial event of the century, for us. I've been in a 75% solar eclipse back in the 60's and a 45% in 79' but this is my first total. I may not get another shot in my life time so this is it.