Anyone in Boise/West Central Idaho?

• HTML tutorial

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

I'm a new member from Southern Idaho about a 120 miles south east of Boise. I know a lot of great treks in this area and around Sun Valley/Ketchum.

Hey Weave

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Meridian, ID
Member #

I'm a new member from Southern Idaho about a 120 miles south east of Boise. I know a lot of great treks in this area and around Sun Valley/Ketchum.
I get over there quite a bit. Love me some Sawtooth action. We were just in Bellevue last weekend to visit family.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Awesome! Are you doing any climbing?
I haven't been climbing since 2009 sadly. I always went with friends. Most of those friends are back east. Nah, we just wanted to explore the area. I didn't realize it was Idaho's version of Smith Rock. I mistakenly thought it'd be mostly dead. I was very very wrong in that regard, lol.

SR20Fastback

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Meridian, ID
Member #

Also in the Boise area (Meridian). Just moved here about 6 months ago. Still trying to find some good trails to do semi locally. Picked up a rack and rtt in July to go camping in Yellowstone. Hoping to find somewhere closer to home for weekend outtings. Only requirements are flushing toilets for the wife. Open to suggestions for both trails and campsites, if anyone has any recommendations?

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

Also in the Boise area (Meridian). Just moved here about 6 months ago. Still trying to find some good trails to do semi locally. Picked up a rack and rtt in July to go camping in Yellowstone. Hoping to find somewhere closer to home for weekend outtings. Only requirements are flushing toilets for the wife. Open to suggestions for both trails and campsites, if anyone has any recommendations?
There are a lot of FSR's to the north of us in the Boise National Forest. But it's already starting to get chilly. Was down to 26 in Stanely this weekend. Brrrr. But I doubt there are any flushing toilets anywhere around here. Most everything I've ever seen has been pit.

It's a fun drive over to Silver City too.

Right now, the weather over in the Liesle Gulch area should be good. Pretty cool area to explore, it's just over the border in Oregon. It's only an hour and 54 from here to Succor Creek. So many trails, but nothing extreme. No real crawling that I've found yet. There are some lava tubes, old cinder cones, all kinds of crazy geology over there. You can find petrified wood, thunder eggs, fossils. Very interesting area. Most of it is all BLM. Succor Creek is a state park in the middle, it's actually pretty small, but there is a pit toilet and some campsites by a creek.

Google_Maps.jpg

Last edited:

SR20Fastback

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Meridian, ID
Member #

There are a lot of FSR's to the north of us in the Boise National Forest. But it's already starting to get chilly. Was down to 26 in Stanely this weekend. Brrrr. But I doubt there are any flushing toilets anywhere around here. Most everything I've ever seen has been pit.

It's a fun drive over to Silver City too.

Right now, the weather over in the Liesle Gulch area should be good. Pretty cool area to explore, it's just over the border in Oregon. It's only an hour and 54 from here to Succor Creek.

View attachment 34692

Awesome, thanks! No need for the flushing toilets for the trails, more for weekend camping getaways for the wife. Appreciate the suggestions though.

Has anyone done Rocky Canyon? Looks like the start of the road is in downtown Boise, but ends somewhere further east?

SR20Fastback

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Meridian, ID
Member #

Update: finally got out and did some exploring today. Hit Rocky Canyon, but was disappointed it was mostly just a dirt road. Found a few trails that lead off the road, started the ascnet on one until the wife got a little freaked out about doing trails solo. Might have to find some others in the area that want to go do some trails for her comfort. Or go back without her, but then I have no spotter.

Also came to the conclusion my KM2's are at about the end of their useful life. Have been pretty pleased with them aside from the noise getting pretty unbearable the last 10-15k miles. They lasted a total of about 45k miles, mostly on road with a little off roading here and there. Think I will ditch the 32s and go for 33s now since I recently replaced my UCA's with some icons.

Dthemiley

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Nampa, Idaho, USA
First Name
DREW
Last Name
MILEY
Member #

Hey gang, I am in Boise, grew up in the area. I would be up for exploring with you guys. I know a few trails in the area.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

stevenboise

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Boise, ID, USA
Member #

I know it's not an OB meet up, but there is a Treasure Valley Chapter of Northwest Overland meet up at Edge Brewery in Boise on Oct 11 at 1930. Also, TVC is doing an Oct run to the desert south of Mtn Home later in Oct that will be discussed at the meeting. I work weekends so I can't do the run, but thought the meet up might be of interest to some of you. Both of those events are on their FB page.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Hello All, We too are in greater Boise. We moved here in 1992, there are lots of places to travel off highway. I am an active Fly-fisher, hiker, rock climber, and a serious foodie. We seen most of the PNW and been to the end of lot of trails, roads and dead-ends. I've seen a huge increase in the number of RTT's, by my Mrs. isn't convinced. So, what is bringing the new residents to the valley?