Anyone in Bakersfield been up to Oak Flat Fire Lookout on Rancheria Rd/25S03?

• HTML tutorial

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

I rented it for a couple of nights in early August and am wondering if there's a forest route down to any natural swim spots on the Kern river. Ideally under an hour's drive. Google maps says it's 1 hour and 45 min to Lake Isabella, which is too long bc I'll have my 4 year old. I'd rather find something quieter like a swimming hole with some shade on the river anyway.

I see freeway ridge is close by but not sure if I can get to the tower on that route. I've never driven that trail either so I don't know how difficult it is besides what I can find on youtube.

Also does anyone know how long it takes to get to the tower via 25S03 from the turnoff at hwy 178? Google maps again says 45 min but as you know it often gets drive times way too long on forest routes.

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

I did the whole Rancheria Rd late last year in early winter and it was easy and fairly quick to drive(was even snow patches on the northern end), it looks like I didn't record it on Gaia for some reason so I can't tell you exact times but I believe it was easily 30min to 45 min to the fire lookout. I didn't go up to the fire look out as the gate was closed and it was getting dark. A stock Subaru Crosstrek can do the whole Rancheria Rd no problems. A lot of the side trails can be way more difficult but are generally always sign posted with their difficulty.

I think it will be quicker going back down to the 178 and up that towards Kernville to swim but the drive all the way north is nice and has some great views. There are some hot springs at feed into the Kern between the Rancheria Rd turnoff and Kernville. Kern River Brewing Company makes some great beers and good food as well.

Reactions: Atlost67