Anyone ever do this route? West of Austin, TX?

• HTML tutorial

pixelsailor

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boerne, TX
Member #

Not sure. Assuming the barriers I can see from Google Earth are simply cattle guards and not gates, my best guess is to start from Valley Spring, TX, west of Llano and Austin.

Go west on 409 from hwy 71
405B
Hickory Grove Rd
Union Rd
Finish at hwy 29

I'm sure it's all private land so I'm not sure where you'd camp. But you could easily knock it out in a few hours

Reactions: jrbechthold

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I might have been on parts but I'll have to check the map. Phone isn't cooperating right now.

I do know that there isn't public camping along little county roads. Generally if you want to camp, you get the landowner's permission.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Yes. I put together many variations of routes through that area and also hosted the 2015 Spring Rendezvous which passed through that area. Want the .gpx? I have it hosted here: and here is the google map rendering: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1sZwNswXoamR-8NeZxLcdAE--7Pg&ll=30.46640786040488,-98.88743291367189&z=9

I do not recommend leaving the highlighted route without first understanding the difference between public road and private road. Some rancher shoot first ask questions later.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I also don't recommend camping anywhere except where I marked on that map as 100% of that area is private property. Get landowner permission first. If the landowner doesn't get you the Game Warden will.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Another note. I am moving in July. Would really love to run this one last time before leaving. If y'all are interested I could put together a farewell weekend tour through that area. Just let me know and I will get a thread going in the trip planning forum.

Edit: Ehhhhh what the heck. I'll create it anyway. If anyone is interested. Go take a look in the Trip planning forum later today. "If you build it, they will come"

Last edited:

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

@TXpedition you ever been down that way?

Not sure if this is the exact route - but I found this info online, and a lot of it sounded familiar...

http://hillcountryoutdoorguide.com/location/austin-to-llano/
No sir, I haven't been down that way.
I've been in and around Wimberly on some of the backroads, but not that one.
A buddy of mine has hit some of these roads, and I think some of it was on your link.
Here's the write up he did. (he's on this forum too, I think)
http://softroaders.kinja.com/soft-roaders-texas-hill-country-off-road-wine-tour-1786672438

jrbechthold

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Little Elm, Texas
Member #

Reactions: TXpedition

jrbechthold

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Little Elm, Texas
Member #

Another note. I am moving in July. Would really love to run this one last time before leaving. If y'all are interested I could put together a farewell weekend tour through that area. Just let me know and I will get a thread going in the trip planning forum.

Edit: Ehhhhh what the heck. I'll create it anyway. If anyone is interested. Go take a look in the Trip planning forum later today. "If you build it, they will come"
I would love to! I will check out that thread.

And thanks for all the great info!

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Some to add to the list for a nice drive is the winery in sisterdale (sister creek). That is some beautiful country in the spring. It is paved so watch for everything from bicyclists and motorcycles to farm trucks and tractors. While you are in the area you should spend a few minutes at the old train tunnel (state park) where you can see the bats, it only takes a few minutes. Then visit a little food truck called the black pig just a mile or two away...but be sure to bring your appetite, she knows how to cook. Check the schedule because she does work various festivals throughout the year.

Another neat winery is chisholm trail out in the hilly west side of Fredericksburg off a little FM ranch road. That one has been there for over 10 years and has a proper brick pizza oven as well as a great country dance hall theme. The owner is also really cool.

Traveler I

Hey I’m new here and from central Texas. Sorry for the “newbie” questions! To my understanding in Texas when you see purple fence post it means if I catch you on my property I’ll shoot you. I seen y’all go through a gate with purple paint on the fence. Did y’all have permission or do you not need it? Also in the google map there were points with A’s, B’s etc, what does that stand for? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Graeman

evoxse

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey I’m new here and from central Texas. Sorry for the “newbie” questions! To my understanding in Texas when you see purple fence post it means if I catch you on my property I’ll shoot you. I seen y’all go through a gate with purple paint on the fence. Did y’all have permission or do you not need it? Also in the google map there were points with A’s, B’s etc, what does that stand for? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I just got done traveling the trail set out by that blog post this past weekend.

I had absolutely no problems with the folks that lived there. Granted, I didn't go out exploring much and just stuck to the trails. Actually, everyone I passed by waved and said hello. I had couple kind people ask me if I needed help when I was just on the side of road bleeding/filling air in my tires.

I will say probably 40% of the complete trail as drawn is paved. The trail from the north entrance heading to Mason is mostly paved. The trail heading southeast from Mason was mostly dirt and was the FUN part. River crossings are shallow and solid. I had no problems in my 2WD Chevy Colorado with G80 auto-lockers. Bleeding the air in my tires was also unnecessary. Majority of the route is just everyday-road for the people living in this remote part of Texas. Saw few old white haired ladies driving in their SUVs like it was nothing.

The blog is accurate in that all of the land flanking the trail is privately owned. There are miles upon miles of fencing and the land without fences have "No Trespassing" signs posted. It's a shame because there looks to be some fine hiking in that area.

Overall, great experience and would do it again. I would especially recommend this for someone maybe looking at getting into overlanding.

Reactions: JORGE ELIZONDO