Anyone Canceling an adventure (namely in CA)?

• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

If your gonna just sit at home fiddling around with your rig or whatever to pass the time until it blows over you may not be leaving the house for what is being said 18 months till it dies off. But and this is a big ole but there arent sure how long it will take. thats just the last number i heard on local news.

Loved ones aside this is likely a good thing for the world to have less people.
the same thing respritory illness happens in commercial chicken barns and pig barns when they get overpopulated. Im suprised something like this or worse hasnt taken off earlier in major citys.
History does in fact repeat itself.

Case in point. H1N1 (Bird Flu) Pandemic of 1918. You may recall this from your history lessons as the Spanish Flu. It was a global issue. Unfairly labeled as the Spanish Flu, when it was in fact H1N1. Remember H1N1 from a few years ago? Same thing. Only, in 1918 the world didn't know what to do. People died.

I'm not set up to shelter for 18 months. I am, however, ready to actively participate as needed to quell the spread. If I need to use my skills to go elsewhere, I will. I'm still planning backpacking trips, camping, and doing things. It's going to take a bit of caution until we have more of a handle on it. It's not an IF question, but WHEN... When I do get it, I'll be okay with that. It may suck, but I already know that from watching and learning from what is happening elsewhere.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Last edited:

Delkat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Francisco Bay Area CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6AET
yes, the right thing to do is to cancel my trip and sit tight. I doubt this will get any better before summer or fall. From what I see so far in the Bay Area, people are not taking this seriously enough. I Think the National Guard will be the next move.

Reactions: Road

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

If you need to understand why we should be sheltering up read this. It is a week old but still on point.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
How about we take it one step at a time? From what I'm hearing the incubation period is 2 weeks. I'm not looking 18 months down the road, I'm looking at the next 2 weeks and what I can do to stay safe, keep my family safe, and potentially help keep others safe. The more people who follow the guidelines and hunker down for the next 2 weeks, the more likely we can give our healthcare systems a fighting chance to just get caught up, much less begin to get a handle on this.

When it comes down to it, what's 2 weeks out of our lives to potentially save lives? I'd much rather look back someday and know I did what I could to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem...

Reactions: Stomper4x4 and Road

Munga Brown

US Northwest Region Member Rep Oregon
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central OR Coast
First Name
Martin
Last Name
S.
Member #

Don't travel.

Although you might "know" you're not presenting a problem when you stop for gas & Cheetos, the clerk is gonna wonder WTF you're doing, and I can guarantee they're going to be wondering why they have to be dealing with a complete stranger risking their health over Cheetos. I promise you'll be perceived as problematic.

Listen to Road's advice, would ya? As someone who lives in a destination environment, and who's income is dependent on tourists, the LAST thing I want to see right now are out of state plates in the parking lot, and the LAST thing I want is to be engaged in conversation with someone who is "so disappointed" that they can't do this or that while they're on vacation.

I would rather scream at them to GTFHome!!

So... You WILL encounter resentment if you're ID'd with out of state plates, I'd bet my little fingers on it. If you must adventure, do it in your own back yard and please... for now.... and as much as I love you guys... please stay the hell out of mine.

And yes, I've had things cancel on me. We were planning a beach clean up in Astoria for May 1, had planned on staying at Ft. Stevens campground. All OR state parks are now closed as of 4.1.20.

socalmtbiker

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Diego
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Inyo County Sheriff's Office
Yesterday at 4:30 PM ·
Recreational Travel Strongly Discouraged
INYO COUNTY, March 20, 2020 – On March 19, in an effort to limit the spread of COVID-19, Governor Gavin Newson ordered California residents to stay home. Under Gov. Newsom’s order, residents can only leave home for essential purposes. Inyo County officials want to remind the recreating public that travel at this time is not only discouraged, it is in direct violation of the Governor’s orders.
While we value our recreating public, it is essential that we work together to contain the spread of COVID-19. This request is an effort to mirror the intent of Gov. Newsom’s order and slow the spread of COVID-19 throughout the state while simultaneously decreasing the strain on limited rural healthcare and essential services.
The public can expect regular updates at: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response | Inyo County California.
The County of Inyo is committed to keeping the public up to date with the most accurate and timely information.
####

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
So is it a suggestion.....or illegal? Cause we aren't going to Inyo County. LOL

I'm kidding, I understand the importance of staying indoors. Our trip isn't till April 5th, so we still have some time to plan to go or not go....

Stomper4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redding, California
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Carlson
Member #

Me? I'm going kayaking tomorrow. The rangers said that getting out hiking, walking, kayaking, etc is a great way to not be too close to people and still get fresh air and exercise. I don't have any big trips planned but I'll be going on a few overnighters to get out of dodge and the house.

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
Already did -- was supposed to be in Idyllwild for the weekend, instead stayed home and installed my HAM radio, pulled my popup under the porch, broke into the wiring chores I've been putting off and hunkered down. I can wait a few weeks to enjoy the rest of my life.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

This from Travel BC today.
All our tourism associations are asking you to stay home.

89927740_10158016572074932_2024004227298230272_n.png

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

From Alberta last weekend, the locals are going to be pissed at your lack of judgement.
The virus lives 48 hours on plastic surfaces like gas pumps, ATM pads,
No one wants you to spread that virus with your travels.

If you plan to travel..... revaluate that decision.
And expect social media shaming if you do.

The conditions are changing rapidly every day. This is a potent, fast moving virus. By April 5th I imagine your state will eliminate the choice.

An excert from the article...

On Sunday, cars lined the strip of Highway 66 by Elbow Falls and the Prairie Mountain trailhead.
It's a typical sight at the spot in summertime but during a pandemic it caused anxiety and anger online.

That anxiety and anger will eventually lead to confrontation. Are you sure you want to expose your family to that risk.

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I cancelled our getaway to Anza Borrego. Probably smartest thing to do now....

Be safe all,
M

You too, Mike. Hope you and yours stay safe and healthy.
Hope to see you out here somewhere, someday so we can sit around a fire and say "Remember back in spring of 2020?"

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Road

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Not California, but we have a family trip to Moab planned for the first week of May. Haven't pulled the plug, staying optimistic.

Be safe and stay healthy.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Have I cancelled a camping trip... lol
Our cars have been parked all week. We get out to walk the dog and plan on living within a mile of home til our government says all clear.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not California, but we have a family trip to Moab planned for the first week of May. Haven't pulled the plug, staying optimistic.

Hope it's back open and operating by then and that all is right with the world. I have my doubts it will be, though.

Right now Moab is closed up tight.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I cancelled our getaway to Anza Borrego. Probably smartest thing to do now....

Be safe all,
M
Good show, :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes: hope others refer to this thread for help deciding too.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

One thing to check regardless is call the local chamber of commerce, municipal government, fire & rescue services.
Find out if they want you to come.

Moab has some incredible Fire & Rescue Services, May might be 5 weeks off but I'm pretty sure they will ask you to stay home.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

One thing to check regardless is call the local chamber of commerce, municipal government, fire & rescue services.
Find out if they want you to come.

Moab has some incredible Fire & Rescue Services, May might be 5 weeks off but I'm pretty sure they will ask you to stay home.
Definitely planned on checking first. It's also a 2 day drive from here. Things will have to have improved for us to make the trek. For all of us, I hope that is the case.