Anyone around the St. Louis area got suggestions?

• HTML tutorial

machoog546

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Louis, MO
First Name
Sam
Last Name
Machuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9LOY
Hello all,

I have an Outback so I'm looking for lighter trails/roads since this car isn't a rock crawler. I've been looking at a few of the off road parks around central MO and I'm open to suggestions. If camping is available that would be a plus.

I live outside Alton, IL, but I figure I'm going to be driving a bit to get to anything good anyway. Thanks!

ZombieGTA

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Caseyville, Illinois, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Curtis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Hello all,

I have an Outback so I'm looking for lighter trails/roads since this car isn't a rock crawler. I've been looking at a few of the off road parks around central MO and I'm open to suggestions. If camping is available that would be a plus.

I live outside Alton, IL, but I figure I'm going to be driving a bit to get to anything good anyway. Thanks!
Hello, I love in Dupo just south of Alton. I'm interested in doing some light off roading. I have a Infiniti QX4 it's a fairly good rig. If you want to go check out some trails hit me up!

ShyTRex

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Moscow Mills
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Rice
Member #

Hey, whats up. I am in St. Louis (well just a bit outside) I have a Forester. My wife and I go to Lost Creek Rd. near Augusta, it's pretty easy, but fun.
Does lost creek area have camping spots?
I'm in Troy mo so that's not far for me at all

TacoDia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Collinsville, Illinois, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
W
Member #

I'm just on the east side of the river as well and from what I have been able to find the Mark Twain National Forest is probably the best bet in the area. I've been in the area almost 2 years now and the overland scene doesn't seem too big around here, although my colleagues aren't really the outdoors type either so that limits my exposure. I'm looking to do a trip hopefully in the fall when its not 90+ and muggy. Find a trail, go about 3/4 of it, find a spot to camp for a couple of days then pack up and finish it on the way home. The Ozarks may have more to offer but I believe the trails there may be a bit more advanced but I'm not entirely sure. I've been hitting up as many overland/camping/off road forums that I think may have something. So far, here and tacomaworld have had the most information for me. It's both unfortunate and fortunate but there aren't really any handout trails. Its like when a hunter finds his perfect spot, it becomes a closely guarded secret shared with only near friends and when an overlander finds their own trail its the same way. At least that's the impression I get(and I don't blame them), that or there really isn't much written down on our area.

midwesttrekker

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

O'Fallon, MO, USA
First Name
Galen
Last Name
Sinkey
Member #

I'm in O'Fallon MO. I have an Outback as well, and a Wrangler on order that should be arriving within the next 2 weeks.

My favorite places nearby are Lost Creek Road (as mentioned) and Massas Creek Roads. Farther out, I love the Glade Top Trail south of Ava, MO. The sights & scenery along that trail are fantastic, and easily managed in a Subaru type vehicle.

Reactions: TacoDia