wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I'm having a problem fully committing to a Decked system even though I love the product. I'm not sure I need all that storage. I see these wheel well storage boxes advertised and hoping someone has some first hand experience. One looks big enough to hold most of the straps/chains/jumper cables/tools I usually keep tucked under my rear crew cab seat yet still keep the majority of my bed freed up.

If possible I'd love to find one that doesn't require putting additional holes/screws into the bed of the truck. Perhaps something that has a j-hook that can tighten down over the factory tied down point.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ive never used one but ive also never seen one that didnt bolt in, definately never seen one with j hooks like a contractors rack.
I like the idea of them but none of them ive seen in person seem very sturdy. Id get a low profile toolbox/spare gas tank that goes on the bed behind the cab, youd have room for a hilft and all the straps,chains, tools a rifle etc and 15- 20 gallons of fuel on demand.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Mekcanix

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
John
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

I have one but it had to be screwed into the truck. I really love it and it holds a surprising amount of tools and such.
the one I have seems real durable as well

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This is a great idea, frees up bed space, and you could use it with a tonneau cover, and or a bed rack system for a roof top tent.

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I'm still exploring options and today came across this factory GM accessory called a Side Mounted Bed Storage Box. I think they are sold in a set of two - one for each side.

It retains most of the usable bed space (length and depth) while still giving me some storage. Just can't find any decent reviews of it anywhere as it looks like a factory accessory that few have purchased. It's cheaper than the $1200 Decked system but still pricey at just under $900.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Considered them but they block my upper in bed tie downs, BoxLink system. I am considering the Decked system because I can use it for a pull out kitchen/storage. So many options..... and configurations.

Arctic033

Rank 0

Contributor I

WI
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Miller
I'm still exploring options and today came across this factory GM accessory called a Side Mounted Bed Storage Box. I think they are sold in a set of two - one for each side.

It retains most of the usable bed space (length and depth) while still giving me some storage. Just can't find any decent reviews of it anywhere as it looks like a factory accessory that few have purchased. It's cheaper than the $1200 Decked system but still pricey at just under $900.

I really wish that was offered in a Ford version as well.

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

I’m currently using swing cases and I love them. There’s more room in them than originally thought and I can carry quite a bit of stuff. Between those and my under seat storage I have plenty of storage.
Can you put gallon water containers? Or long items? Or gallon containers with long items on top? Thinking if they fit putting some travel trailer tire changing equipment.

FX4Overlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Hood, TX, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
H
Member #

When I get home I can take some pictures if that would help? I think a gallon water bottle would fit but I can test that to make sure.

MOVE.OVERland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

Service Branch
Army vet
I just installed my swing boxes and I love them. I also installed the outlet in the bed. Fishing rods,axe and shovel mounted behind them. Bed lights are a must also!20191230_092647.jpg20191228_165146.jpg20191228_165053.jpg20191228_165608.jpg20191230_125759.jpg

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
That box looks good... gonna have to look into that.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@wahoowad - I looked at wheelwell storage containers and didn't really like them, so built my own for the van. This is the same thing I'd do for any pick up I owned or to go with a sliding tray or decked system. If not under cover of a truck cap, I'd fab 'em up out of aluminum or something.

All surfaces are finished with several coats of Polycrylic, which makes them hard and durable as hell, as well as easy to clean. These have been in there for 7 or 8 years now.
Full length, the 3/8" birch ply goes right up along side the wheelwell and widens to the door width at the back, so it helps funnel and center any load I might put in there, including pallets. I can still put in full sheet goods as I retained my width between wheel wells but for 3/4" (3'8" ply each side), so still have, if I recall correctly, 51.5" clear width.

The side boxes have removable tops with simple finger holes. The only mounting holes for the upright face of the sideboxes were at the rear door and the far end. I did not drill into the wheel wells. I did mount a ledger strip along the walls to support the lids.

Savana-empty_600x450.jpg
These side boxes hold an incredible amount of tools and jugs and other gear. I can put an entire Craftsman tool box in there, or gallon jugs of vehicle fluid.

savana-intwork_9757-900.jpg
Buying/selling, quick transport.

autobins-wlid-rear_7803.jpg
Hauling Expedited Cargo - the sideboxes proved handy over and over.

When figuring plans for adventuring more and doing less carpentry and hauling, I decided I liked the sideboxes so much I wanted to keep them. I've had a few different configurations for adventuring, all using the sideboxes as foundation. I built them so the height is comfortable, so any simple platform that rests on the sideboxes can easily be used for a bed, sitting, etc.

roaddude_van-interior-9810.jpg
I like that I can slide the bed platform (it's hinged in the middle for storing) anywhere along the length of the sideboxes, or put it down one side or the other. I have two hinged platforms now, so if I need two beds or sitting areas in the van, I can.

vannery-int_6042-900.jpeg

vaninterior-181127_7050-900.jpg

I'm re-designing some of the interior for better sidewall storage, though will keep most or all of the sideboxes.
Having full organized storage fore and aft of the wheelwells has been critical to having the tools and gear I need with me for extended travel and camping.

Here's an interesting "frischwasser" tank I ran across for wheelwell mounting. German made, I believe.

frischwassertank.jpg

~Road

Reactions: AnthonyD1978