Anybody else in a 1st gen CR-V or similar small AWD SUV?

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

Florida Panhandle, FL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Lanthripp
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRZR785
I picked this one up in the spring of 2022 for $3400 with 195k miles on it. Pre-purchase inspection showed good compression across all 4 cylinders and it needed a rear diff mount when I bought it.

Since I bought it, I've done;

Upper control arms (Detroit Axle)
Outer tie rod ends (Detroit Axle)
Lower ball joints (Sankei 555)
Front CV axles (NAPA Premium)
2" lift (ASR front spacers, HRG rear spacers, HRG 1" rear trailing arm drop spacers)
Trailing arm bushings (Truhart)
Rear upper adjustable camber arms (Truhart)
Rear lower lateral arms (Truhart, aluminum)
Sway bar links (Detroit Axle)
OEM roof basket from a local part out
Amazon brush guard and roof basket
Nilight light bar in the brush guard
Curt trailer hitch and wiring adapter
Pioneer single-DIN head unit and speakers - cheap stuff to be able to just hear some music from my phone
A few odds and ends like a couple of power window motors, the aforementioned rear diff mount, battery tray, clutch master and slave cylinders, etc.

I've been taking it out to Econfina Creek WMA, Apalachicola National Forest, and Tate's Hell State Forest a bit, it's surprised me a few times with how it handles slick stuff. Could use more torque in deep sugar sand, but I haven't had to air down yet to dig out.

Plans include more lights and a single-DIN switch panel beneath the stereo for three 1" round Nilight switches and a dual USB charger that's made to fit a 1-1/8" cigarette lighter adapter.

1703302617441.jpeg

Last edited:

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

I picked this one up in the spring of 2022 for $3400 with 195k miles on it. Pre-purchase inspection showed good compression across all 4 cylinders and it needed a rear diff mount when I bought it.

Since I bought it, I've done;

Upper control arms (Detroit Axle)
Outer tie rod ends (Detroit Axle)
Lower ball joints (Sankei 555)
Front CV axles (NAPA Premium)
2" lift (ASR front spacers, HRG rear spacers, HRG 1" rear trailing arm drop spacers)
Trailing arm bushings (Truhart)
Rear upper adjustable camber arms (Truhart)
Rear lower later arms (Truhart, aluminum)
Sway bar links (Detroit Axle)
OEM roof basket from a local part out
Amazon brush guard and roof basket
Nilight light bar in the brush guard
Curt trailer hitch and wiring adapter
Pioneer single-DIN head unit and speakers - cheap stuff to be able to just hear some music from my phone
A few odds and ends like a couple of power window motors, the aforementioned rear diff mount, battery tray, clutch master and slave cylinders, etc.

I've been taking it out to Econfina Creek WMA, Apalachicola National Forest, and Tate's Hell State Forest a bit, it's surprised me a few times with how it handles slick stuff. Could use more torque in deep sugar sand, but I haven't had to air down yet to dig out.

Plans include more lights and a single-DIN switch panel beneath the stereo for three 1" round Nilight switches and a dual USB charger that's made to fit a 1-1/8" cigarette lighter adapter.

View attachment 270731
Great mods! You should have plenty of off pavement adventures in yours.

Reactions: Panhandle Jeff

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We purchased a 2009 Rav-4 to replace my XJ, We went down to Ouray for our first camping trip. Have been all over those mountain passes in my Jeep ,but we did not do any of the trails down in the are, we just camped and had all kinds of fun in Ouray, Ridgeway and Telluride. Dispersed camped in Ironton its next to Corkscrew pass trailhead. I really don't want to tear this car up doing trails, but I do want to go camping, hiking and Mountain biking.
I was wondering how far off the beaten path you plan to take your CRV?

PS I haven't sold my Jeep just waiting till I am sure it's the right move to let go of it.

Enthusiast I

Florida Panhandle, FL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Lanthripp
Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRZR785
We purchased a 2009 Rav-4 to replace my XJ, We went down to Ouray for our first camping trip. Have been all over those mountain passes in my Jeep ,but we did not do any of the trails down in the are, we just camped and had all kinds of fun in Ouray, Ridgeway and Telluride. Dispersed camped in Ironton its next to Corkscrew pass trailhead. I really don't want to tear this car up doing trails, but I do want to go camping, hiking and Mountain biking.
I was wondering how far off the beaten path you plan to take your CRV?

PS I haven't sold my Jeep just waiting till I am sure it's the right move to let go of it.
So far I've only taken it on some sandy trails around NW FL. A few places I've been had some small ledges or whatever to climb, but little or no stuff that would likely require you to engage 4wd in your XJ, apart from maybe the sugar sand. There's only one spot here that I'm nervous about getting stuck in, and that's a big hill of sugar sand near me, beside a country road, that's popular with the locals, if technically illegal to drive on (lots of trespass warnings issued there, so I hear, but I've never seen a LEO within five miles of it)