Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Ohh and dont worry about what you adventure in. I just sold my ZJ and inherited my wife's 04 Pacifica when we got her a QX56... I am still going to lay the seats down and camp in!

Reactions: Smileyshaun

Derek50

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Member #

Thanks for all of the great info guys! I'll start checking into those sites and gear. Had a thundersnowstorm last night here Iowa and it's still snowing! Go figure for the first day of spring in the Midwest!

Just "took delivery" of my new "minivan" today and it's not as bad as I thought. I've only driven it once in the two years I've paid for it and it's HUGE inside! All kinds of storage everywhere. No hitch which is a bummer but it is AWD so it should do good in the snow and on service roads. The ex just got new tires put on it. They're basically a street tire but I'm not going to replace them right away.

Looking forward to getting some gear and getting out there!

Ryan Ewbank

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alabama
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ewbank
Member #

Thanks for all of the great info guys! I'll start checking into those sites and gear. Had a thundersnowstorm last night here Iowa and it's still snowing! Go figure for the first day of spring in the Midwest!

Just "took delivery" of my new "minivan" today and it's not as bad as I thought. I've only driven it once in the two years I've paid for it and it's HUGE inside! All kinds of storage everywhere. No hitch which is a bummer but it is AWD so it should do good in the snow and on service roads. The ex just got new tires put on it. They're basically a street tire but I'm not going to replace them right away.

Do what you got to do to get in the woods. Dont matter how you get there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Derek50

NkedFatWhiteGuy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Beaverton, Oregon
Member #

Thanks @Derek50 for starting this thread! I am in a situation where, instead of running out and buying the FZJ80 I have been dreaming of for years, I am keeping the 2011 Honda Pilot - aka “Grocery Getter” - since it is reliable and paid for. I totally agree that adulting sucks!!!!

I am scouring the web for possible aftermarket gear for it, but am struggling to say the least. I have just spent hours looking for a push bar or something so I can get some decent light up front.

Anyway, I wanted to say thank you. This has really helped me realize that the seemingly “responsible” decision doesn’t mean I still can’t get out with the kids and have some fun! I might not be quite as adventurous as I would have hoped, but I can still go many places off the beaten path.

Maybe someday, when this mid-life crisis hits a little harder, I will break down and get my dream car - I mean rig [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Derek50 and Bouncer

JdEcho

Rank 0

Traveler I

I feel your pain. After my divorce I had to sell my LR Discovery. I now drive a Jeep Patriot 4X4.. I'm currently building an adventure trailer to put my rooftop tent on. The Jeep is a far cry from my Rover but it'll get me and my boys far enough out to camp and explore. Fortunately I have a few options for the Jeep aftermarket wise. I'm adding a 2 inch spacer lift and larger tires to gain clearance. Probably nothing available for your Chevy but like most crossovers you could add a DIY spacer kit, go up a size or two with more aggressive tires. Might be enough to satisfy a need to get farther off the beaten path.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
If you weren't so far away, I could hook you up with a Coleman dual fuel stove and a couple lanterns.

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
... that isn't the normal for Overlanding? Like a vehicle that isn't the typical Jeep or Toyota.

Plans have severely changed for me. I recently got divorced and was planning on keeping my WJ. Instead I got stuck with the ex-wife's 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. I was planning on selling it and getting an XJ to turn into my DD/overland rig. While I could still do this, it would be more financially responsible for me to just keep the Traverse. (Adulting sucks)

I still plan on doing a lot of camping and taking trips this summer with my son, just won't be doing any offroading. So, in short, I'm wondering if I should become a member and stick around, or wait until I get my pennies sorted out and can get what I really want.... A newer 4runner or JKU.

I think I already know the answer but I don't to be the weirdo driving a minivan (that's what I call it) in an offroad forum if it's not welcomed.

Thanks.
Doesn't matter what you drive bud, I drive a 2007 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 so I know what's it feels like to feel outside the box.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

The journey and memories are important, not the vehicle that gets you there. Do not laugh...datsun 210 wagon smerf blue. My first vehicle.

Titan Tom

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Los Angeles
Member #

... that isn't the normal for Overlanding? Like a vehicle that isn't the typical Jeep or Toyota.

Plans have severely changed for me. I recently got divorced and was planning on keeping my WJ. Instead I got stuck with the ex-wife's 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. I was planning on selling it and getting an XJ to turn into my DD/overland rig. While I could still do this, it would be more financially responsible for me to just keep the Traverse. (Adulting sucks)

I still plan on doing a lot of camping and taking trips this summer with my son, just won't be doing any offroading. So, in short, I'm wondering if I should become a member and stick around, or wait until I get my pennies sorted out and can get what I really want.... A newer 4runner or JKU.

I think I already know the answer but I don't to be the weirdo driving a minivan (that's what I call it) in an offroad forum if it's not welcomed.

Thanks.
That's nothing try driving this behemoth around! I was thinking like you before but I can't give her up for no toy ota. :)20180429_063729.jpg20180429_111931.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
I’m a little late to the party but I ended up in a 2014 Traverse after some bad weather and worse luck had my Explorer wrapped around the front of a Toyota Tundra. Sadly my Traverse is only FWD but but I’ve had that thing down plenty of Iowa level B roads without any problems. I just stay off em when they’re wet. I do sometimes wish it was AWD but it is what it is. Honestly I think with AWD and a set of all terrains it’d be able to go anywhere an Outback or Forester could go.

Now that we have our son our camping trips require that much more gear - pack n play, stroller, toys and all that stuff, so the Traverse’s cavernous interior has been a godsend. At some point I want to mount an awning and cargo box for more storage but with the third row folded down there’s so much more space than we had in the Explorer. There’s 12v power back there from the factory so I’m saving up to put a fridge back there, too.

Derek50

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Member #

Wow, been gone for awhile but it's awesome to see all of the positive feedback from everyone! Unfortunately my summer got extremely busy with work so I was unable to get out and do much of anything. Been slowing gathering all of my camping equipment and only have a few things left to get! I am currently trying to sell the Traverse so I can another WJ. Not sure why but I absolutely loved mine and they sell for pretty cheap now!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Fatsquatch

Rank III

Advocate II

Des Moines, IA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Thompson
Can’t blame you there. We gotta make due until the Traverse and Cube are paid off and then I’ll be on the hunt for another rig. XJs and WJs are stupid cheap right now so that might end up being the way we go.

Last edited:

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Can’t blame you there. We gotta make sure until the Traverse and Cube are paid off and then I’ll be on the hunt for another rig. XJs and WJs are stupid cheap right now so that might end up being the way we go.
If you were in Oklahoma I know where there is a (beat to crap) 96 XJ, but recent 4.5 lift (zone) decent Nexen AT 31s, steel bumpers front and rear and a 9k superwinch on the front for 3,000 it has 170ish on the odom. I spoted an old water pump under the seat and what looks like a fresh radiator installed. It has about a 3 inch spread of bad rust on the under body, but that's not bad for a beater. mostly straight, but rattle can painted flat black.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI

Good!

I was gonna say, my aunt has the GMC version of this, and it's giant inside. WAY more room than a traditional SUV. I also noticed, that while it's a crossover, it has some pretty big tires on it. I know you said it has new tires, but when you replace those, I imagine you'll have a pretty good selection of All terrain style tires to choose from. My aunt's has GY Forteras on it, and while I wouldn't take it mudding, it looks like it would be pretty good on rough dirt road. I think the main concern would be ripping off the front airdam, GM loves to leave those about 3" off the ground. A coworker just got a new 4wd Colorado, and I'm pretty certain my XC70 has a better approach angle.

Also, hey whatever works. I want a 3rd gen 4Runner, but my XC70 has been a great car for camping (which is what this is). Don't get too wrapped up in the hype that you heed a high dollar rig, one thing I've noticed is that "overlanding" seems to be a pretty gear intensive hobby. IMO it's one of the things where a lot of people just enjoy buying fancy/expensive gear. I'm getting all my stuff at WalMart and Harbor Freight, and am currently figuring out how to make my own awning (almost 3 bills for the ARB one - no thanks!).

Derek50

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Member #

Good!

I was gonna say, my aunt has the GMC version of this, and it's giant inside. WAY more room than a traditional SUV. I also noticed, that while it's a crossover, it has some pretty big tires on it. I know you said it has new tires, but when you replace those, I imagine you'll have a pretty good selection of All terrain style tires to choose from. My aunt's has GY Forteras on it, and while I wouldn't take it mudding, it looks like it would be pretty good on rough dirt road. I think the main concern would be ripping off the front airdam, GM loves to leave those about 3" off the ground. A coworker just got a new 4wd Colorado, and I'm pretty certain my XC70 has a better approach angle.

Also, hey whatever works. I want a 3rd gen 4Runner, but my XC70 has been a great car for camping (which is what this is). Don't get too wrapped up in the hype that you heed a high dollar rig, one thing I've noticed is that "overlanding" seems to be a pretty gear intensive hobby. IMO it's one of the things where a lot of people just enjoy buying fancy/expensive gear. I'm getting all my stuff at WalMart and Harbor Freight, and am currently figuring out how to make my own awning (almost 3 bills for the ARB one - no thanks!).
I've noticed the "gear buying" trend too. That's why I'm trying to focus on collecting what I need to go camping before I get too wrapped up in what I'm driving. Than, when I'm able to get a different vehicle I'll just have to throw my stuff in the back and head out!