Anybody drive something...

• HTML tutorial

Derek50

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Member #

... that isn't the normal for Overlanding? Like a vehicle that isn't the typical Jeep or Toyota.

Plans have severely changed for me. I recently got divorced and was planning on keeping my WJ. Instead I got stuck with the ex-wife's 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. I was planning on selling it and getting an XJ to turn into my DD/overland rig. While I could still do this, it would be more financially responsible for me to just keep the Traverse. (Adulting sucks)

I still plan on doing a lot of camping and taking trips this summer with my son, just won't be doing any offroading. So, in short, I'm wondering if I should become a member and stick around, or wait until I get my pennies sorted out and can get what I really want.... A newer 4runner or JKU.

I think I already know the answer but I don't to be the weirdo driving a minivan (that's what I call it) in an offroad forum if it's not welcomed.

Thanks.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

This ain't an "offroad forum", so don't even worry about it. I camped a TON in my 85' Dodge Caravan, I loved that thing. There are a few folks here with really nice minivans and whatnot, I'm sure they've got great ideas to share.

There are also lots of folks with AWD vehicles (Traverse is AWD isn't it) that aren't necessarily traditional "off-roaders".

Bottom line: You're in good company!

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

Just go for it. I have a friend who camps with her kid in their traverse and they love it. I drive a dodge ram 2500 long bed.. affectionately known by all my camping buddies as either the land yacht or trail limo.. 4 doors and an 8 foot bed, but I love it. It's what I had when I got into the " overlanding" thing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GatorDoc

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Norton Shores, MI
First Name
butt
Last Name
hole
Member #

Dude, "Overlanding" is just a churched-up way of saying "car camping."

As they say in certain circles, "run what ya brung", enjoy yourself, and focus on getting your life back together, and being an awesome dad to your son.

Being financially responsible as an example to him ain't exactly a bad thing, either.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

There are several Subaru adventurers her, and a few Volvo wagons. Our Australian ambassador travels in a nicely equipped Kia Soul. I used to travel all over the eastern Tennessee mountains in a FIAT station wagon, and you'll see folks out and about in plenty of VW Vans. Oh, lots of members in full-sized vans, too.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Rock what you have man, as others have said it's not about the rig. You really want to pinch some pennies? Skip amazon and build as much stuff as you can yourself. One trip to the hardware store and I built a killer awning for the side of our Outback for like $13 and a tarp I had laying around. Is it as nice as an ARB or other name brand? No. But it also didn't cost me $200.

The other thing I would recommend if you really want to get into a capable vehicle cheap, look at old trucks/suvs that you can scoop up for $3-5k and keep the Traverse for daily driving. As much as I love my Silverado, it was killing me in gas milage. I picked up a commuter and actually spend less money owning 2 vehicles than I did trying to make one do everything.

Derek50

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Member #

Rock what you have man, as others have said it's not about the rig. You really want to pinch some pennies? Skip amazon and build as much stuff as you can yourself. One trip to the hardware store and I built a killer awning for the side of our Outback for like $13 and a tarp I had laying around. Is it as nice as an ARB or other name brand? No. But it also didn't cost me $200.
Unfortunately I haven't done any camping since high school when I used all of my parents stuff. So I'm starting from scratch. I'm keeping my eye out for some deals. I was watching at the end of the season last year but nothing really seemed to go on clearance. I guess they figure they can store it and sell it the next year. Just going to start out with the bare minimum. Do some local camping trips and see what we need to get and then venture further and further out.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
Unfortunately I haven't done any camping since high school when I used all of my parents stuff. So I'm starting from scratch. I'm keeping my eye out for some deals. I was watching at the end of the season last year but nothing really seemed to go on clearance. I guess they figure they can store it and sell it the next year. Just going to start out with the bare minimum. Do some local camping trips and see what we need to get and then venture further and further out.
Don't be afraid to grab some Ozark Trail stuff from Walmart man. There is a thread dedicated to that gear on here somewhere, and I've been using a lot of it for a long time. The 4 man dome tent I bought in 2002 for $40 is still holding up well, and waterproof.

Grab a sleeping bag, put a blanket or $8 air mattress under it to get it off the ground, and suddenly the cheap ones hold up a lot better.

I've been using a $4 OT knife for about 3 years now. I have higher end stuff, but it does what I ask of it every time. Get what you can to get out there now, build on it as your budget allows, and you figure out what your priorities are.

I'm a musician, so I'm broke, but I still manage to have a pretty complete setup. It's all about using what works for now, and building slowly. I can appreciate the "buy once cry once" philosophy of buying great gear, but man it's hard when you're on a budget or have to go get everything at once.

Derek50

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Member #

Another great option for getting the basics, and beyond: Craigslist, Facebook, Nextdoor, sites like that. A lot of people invest in cool gear, use it once or twice, and then sell it at deep discounts when they realize they don't actually like camping.
Good idea. I always forget about Craigslist for things other than cars and motorcycles. Thanks!

Reactions: Graeman

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
... that isn't the normal for Overlanding? Like a vehicle that isn't the typical Jeep or Toyota.

Plans have severely changed for me. I recently got divorced and was planning on keeping my WJ. Instead I got stuck with the ex-wife's 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. I was planning on selling it and getting an XJ to turn into my DD/overland rig. While I could still do this, it would be more financially responsible for me to just keep the Traverse. (Adulting sucks)

I still plan on doing a lot of camping and taking trips this summer with my son, just won't be doing any offroading. So, in short, I'm wondering if I should become a member and stick around, or wait until I get my pennies sorted out and can get what I really want.... A newer 4runner or JKU.

I think I already know the answer but I don't to be the weirdo driving a minivan (that's what I call it) in an offroad forum if it's not welcomed.

Thanks.
Heck yeah! Stick around! There is a guy here who uses a Kia Soul. Your Traverse should do just fine. Just get out there and have fun!

Edit: Oops, I missed that Steve already brought up the Kia Soul.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Steve

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

just do the basics on the traverse , a decent set of tires that can handle gravel and bumps , a strap and some basic tools and that's about all you need . you can see sooooo much stuff just traveling down forest service roads . Sierra trading post Is a great place to find deals on camping gear , sign up for there mailing list thing and they will send you out good discount deals .

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
Some great info on here. One app that I use is "let go" its like craigslist but people are more willing to barter and trade also. I have got some great stuff on there and also got rid of my old crap I did not need any longer. I got the roof rack for my ZJ on there, tools, camping gear, and more.