Any way to send GPS coordinates when you have no Cell service?

• HTML tutorial

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I find myself often trying to plan trips for a group with a variety of schedules.

Often it means that someone is going to leave after the primary group and depending on the area its not always possible to pin point exactly where to meet.

So I've been thinking it wouid be nice to have a means to send GPS coordinates from the field. I've heard of Spot GPS things but my understanding is they are for SOS situations?

Are there any simple solutions to share GPS coordinates when there is not cell service?

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Smoke signal, HAM, Satellite. Pretty much your choices. There are services like inReach that let you send texts via satellite for a fee.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

Smoke signal, HAM, Satellite. Pretty much your choices.
HAM can?

Satellite seems excessive to have a service and expensive device to send GPS coordinates.

Would a handheld HAM like a Baofeng work to send GPS coordinates? Wouldn't it only be to other HAM operators?

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

HAM can?

Satellite seems excessive to have a service and expensive device to send GPS coordinates.

Would a handheld HAM like a Baofeng work to send GPS coordinates? Wouldn't it only be to other HAM operators?
You'd be speaking your coords to whoever is on the channel you're on. So yes, the recipients would also need a HAM radio. I think inReach type devices are the only thing that'll let you send a text message to phones via satellite.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
APRS with ham will send coordinates but you won't get that with a cheap handheld. There are a few handhelds that offer that but the low wattage radios tend to have issues. I have tried the APRS hacks with small radios and they do not work well.

If you are worried about SOS situations get an InReach or similar. How much is your life worth? That's the way I see it.

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Most Hams use the 2 meters and 440 centemeter frequency ranges. Both of those are pretty much line of sight only. You would need a repeater in your area to reach out further, but that is still line of sight comms.

Pretty much the only route you have is with the Iridium satelite system. Which is basically a repeater at an extream altitude.

Garmin Inreach GPS has the ability to use the Iridium network. And it does cost.

If both users are out of cell range, then both users will need an Iridium capable device in order to communicate.

But if the receiver of the message is still in cell tower range, then they would not need an Iridium capable device.

I get my Inreach today if Mr Brown is running on time. :)

Hefty Smurf

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Garmin now owns the inReach but it was DeLorme. When Garmin bought them out they raised the prices and changed the look. If you don’t want to pay new $$$ try buying the DeLorme version. I have the last DeLorme model and Garmin still provides services.

Reactions: MoreGone

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Sure, as mentioned APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) is used by many hams to track their vehicle. You can also send a direct message to a specific ham (also running APRS), you can send SMS text messages, and emails.
Both parties would need to be hams to utilize this and it relies on digital repeaters (digi-peaters) and internet gateways (I-gates) to work over great distances. They can work simplex as well if you the terrain allows.
It's by no means perfect and 100% reliable, but it's another tool.

Razrrila99

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Comer
Member #

I have a Garmin inReach and will not leave home without it, when heading out camping/trailing/hiking, etc. Not only does the monthly fee you pay get you a certain number of messages etc, you also can get an emergency package that covers you in the event you need helicopter etc. I firmly believe anyone who drives more than 30 minutes from a metro area get a medevac policy.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have a Garmin inReach and will not leave home without it, when heading out camping/trailing/hiking, etc. Not only does the monthly fee you pay get you a certain number of messages etc, you also can get an emergency package that covers you in the event you need helicopter etc. I firmly believe anyone who drives more than 30 minutes from a metro area get a medevac policy.
Just picked up and activated my Mini yesterday. I signed up for the extra $17.95/year insurance. I think it is worth it for this:

The GEOS Search and Rescue-SAR50 Membership covers the Member for search and rescue (SAR) expenses, up to $100,000(USD) per subscriber in any 12-month period. The SAR50 Membership Benefit can be used multiple times per year, up to $50,000(USD) for any one claim by a member who summons emergency (911/SOS) assistance as a result of an accident or other life threatening circumstance by activating their GEOS-approved device.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

You can also set up the inReach with several preset messages. Preset messages are free and unlimited on all their plans. Depending on your account settings, your GPS coordinates can be included in the messages you send. I believe you can change the preset messages once a month. I can't remember since I seem to never change mine. I usually run the cheapest monthly freedom plan but will sometimes move up in the plan tiers to add the tracking. The Freedom plan will let you change plan tiers (30-day commitment) or even suspend service for a month.

I also buy the insurance RoarinRow mentioned above.

Reactions: MoreGone

CTO1Mike

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler II

Yuba City, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC5DWF
Service Branch
Navy
Sure, as mentioned APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) is used by many hams to track their vehicle. You can also send a direct message to a specific ham (also running APRS), you can send SMS text messages, and emails.
Both parties would need to be hams to utilize this and it relies on digital repeaters (digi-peaters) and internet gateways (I-gates) to work over great distances. They can work simplex as well if you the terrain allows.
It's by no means perfect and 100% reliable, but it's another tool.
Again this feature uses line of sight. So if the other Ham is not in range or there are no repeaters in the area, your message will not get out.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
You can also set up the inReach with several preset messages. Preset messages are free and unlimited on all their plans. Depending on your account settings, your GPS coordinates can be included in the messages you send. I believe you can change the preset messages once a month. I can't remember since I seem to never change mine. I usually run the cheapest monthly freedom plan but will sometimes move up in the plan tiers to add the tracking. The Freedom plan will let you change plan tiers (30-day commitment) or even suspend service for a month.

I also buy the insurance RoarinRow mentioned above.
You can change the messages as often as you like. You just have to resync the device with a laptop. If something has changed someone else chime in. I haven’t had a need to change mine. One says Safe IN Camp. Another says Starting Our Day. My third message says, No Cell Service/Breadcrumb. All send my position.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
The tracker (Trackimo) that I use (have 1 in my camper trailer and one in my jeep) has 1 button that can be pressed for SOS (911) and another button for preprogrammed contacts to send them a text message along with your coordinates. Trackers can be tracked through the app as well and are spot on. Wife has been able to know how fast Im traveling, where Im at in the journey and how far off the beaten path Ive travelled and that we made it safe, as I provide my coordinates to where I am headed. Been using them for 6 months now.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
The tracker (Trackimo) that I use (have 1 in my camper trailer and one in my jeep) has 1 button that can be pressed for SOS (911) and another button for preprogrammed contacts to send them a text message along with your coordinates. Trackers can be tracked through the app as well and are spot on. Wife has been able to know how fast Im traveling, where Im at in the journey and how far off the beaten path Ive travelled and that we made it safe, as I provide my coordinates to where I am headed. Been using them for 6 months now.
All of the Trackimo devices require cell service or am I reading that wrong? They all have 3G in the name.

John Smith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Luxembourg
First Name
John
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I am using the Garmin InReach mini. Worked really fine during my trip though the alps. I did choose a monthly plan with illimited messages.
The InReach device uses a satellite connection to transmit messages that can be written on a connected smartphone.

Last edited: