Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Anyone out there building a VW Transporter as their overland vehicle.
We are in the process of outfitting a VW 4motion Transporter for our future overland trips replacing our work horse Land Rover Defender.

We accept we are trading some off road capability for comfort but based on our previous trips to Morocco and Mongolia we are comfortable that the loss of the off road capability will not impact on our trips.
The after market upgrades for the Defender are easily found but for a VW Transporter there seems to be less equipment and suppliers out there, mostly in Germany.
However from what we have found makes the VW Transporter into a very capable vehicle as can be seen from these photos.

Attachments

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Just for clarity this is ours in its current build state.
It has an eibach 50mm lift, BFG KO3’s 200w Solar and is fitted out internally as a camper.

Next is increased water carry capacity with a 47 litre under slung water tank coming in January and then raised breather kit for gearbox, diffs etc and a raised air intake.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
The 4 motion Transporter is indeed a great overlanding vehicle from my point of view. Has reasonable space while not too big in size and the offroad capabilities are absolutely sufficient for the most overlanding trips. I have met many overlanders with VW Transporters, even non 4x4, and it depends really on the driver. There are some badass Transporter owners out there who are doing offroad stuff with these rigs what some drivers of the "classic offroad vehicles" would never do.

Yes, many suppliers and workshops specialized in VW 4motion Transportes and the Syncros here in Germany. If you need any information about them I am happy to help.

Enjoy your new Overlanding Transporter!!!

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
The 4 motion Transporter is indeed a great overlanding vehicle from my point of view. Has reasonable space while not too big in size and the offroad capabilities are absolutely sufficient for the most overlanding trips. I have met many overlanders with VW Transporters, even non 4x4, and it depends really on the driver. There are some badass Transporter owners out there who are doing offroad stuff with these rigs what some drivers of the "classic offroad vehicles" would never do.

Yes, many suppliers and workshops specialized in VW 4motion Transportes and the Syncros here in Germany. If you need any information about them I am happy to help.

Enjoy your new Overlanding Transporter!!!
Exactly, I think a lot of people view overlanding much like Rick crawling etc which is absolutely fine if that’s what you want to do but when you are travelling long term most overlanders I have met tend to try and protect their vehicle as it also doubles as their home.
That goes not mean serious off road is not tackled as it is but it tends to be more about necessity rather than a conscious choice and occurs after a lot of thought and consideration.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Exactly, I think a lot of people view overlanding much like Rick crawling etc which is absolutely fine if that’s what you want to do but when you are travelling long term most overlanders I have met tend to try and protect their vehicle as it also doubles as their home.
That goes not mean serious off road is not tackled as it is but it tends to be more about necessity rather than a conscious choice and occurs after a lot of thought and consideration.
Exactly - when overlanding, I drive off-road to get somewhere not for the sake of off-road driving. If I want to drive off-road for the sake of off-roading, I go to an off-road park or take part in a rally or other competition.

Reactions: Road and MazeVX

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
I'm currently building my T6 Multivan 4Motion into an overlanding vehicle here in Tasmania. The picture is a "before" shot. I'm still in the final stages of fitting a snorkel and then it's off to Sydney to get a lift and bash plates.
How did the build go, have you completed it and if so can we get some pictures and details.

Reactions: El-Dracho

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
How did the build go, have you completed it and if so can we get some pictures and details.
I’m currently on the road so I haven’t done a detailed tour of the van for the forum yet.
You should check out my Ships and Ghost Towns post.

Reactions: Polaris Overland