Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

We have a WK2 in addition to my WJ, but I don't see us doing too much Overlanding with it:

TH1.jpg
TH2.jpg

Still, I love seeing an off-road WK2 build. They're actually very capable and I think under-rated/estimated too often.

-TJ

Cal-Dogg

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Poway, CA, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Frasure
Member #

2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. It’s basically still stock but I’ve got my basic build plan worked out focused on overlanding. Since January, I’ve taken the WK2 off-road in Bishop and many trails around SD County.802384EA-DD94-4CDD-8FCE-39BD65536299.jpegD2ED35E3-8C63-4A07-86D5-8F9B2C27ED6E.jpeg4B8A7913-277F-4D71-8D04-30B341051BC7.jpeg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Reactions: Tetron and Cal-Dogg

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

Another WK2 owner here. Mine is a 2020 Trailhawk, and I've put about 1200 miles on it. Took it off road at Hollister SVRA in Northern California yesterday, and at Off Road 2 height it handled everything the Wranglers were handling with only one scrape.

My only concern is getting used to modulating the throttle pedal. In some technical sections it was hard to control, but hopefully that's something I'll get used to with time. Also, unfortunately unlike my KL Trailhawk before it the horn doesn't beep when you are airing up and get to the recommended tire pressure. That was a great feature of the KL.

Attachments

Cal-Dogg

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Poway, CA, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Frasure
Member #

Another WK2 owner here. Mine is a 2020 Trailhawk, and I've put about 1200 miles on it. Took it off road at Hollister SVRA in Northern California yesterday, and at Off Road 2 height it handled everything the Wranglers were handling with only one scrape.

My only concern is getting used to modulating the throttle pedal. In some technical sections it was hard to control, but hopefully that's something I'll get used to with time. Also, unfortunately unlike my KL Trailhawk before it the horn doesn't beep when you are airing up and get to the recommended tire pressure. That was a great feature of the KL.
The horn notification would be a nice feature. I believe the Ram has that feature? As for working the throttle, do you use 4 Low? I’m still getting used the tech. Once I add some front armor, I’ll try some more challenging terrain.

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

The horn notification would be a nice feature. I believe the Ram has that feature? As for working the throttle, do you use 4 Low? I’m still getting used the tech. Once I add some front armor, I’ll try some more challenging terrain.
Yes, spent the day in 4Low pretty much. One of the instructors had the feeling that the car was fighting against me on one particular obstacle. He recommended experimenting with the different modes. I also tried turning eco mode back on to dampen the overactive throttle, but it would keep turning itself off again. I'd also like to be able to stay at off-road 2 height when changing modes when on varied terrain that needs maximum clearance.

Reactions: Cal-Dogg

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Yes, spent the day in 4Low pretty much. One of the instructors had the feeling that the car was fighting against me on one particular obstacle. He recommended experimenting with the different modes. I also tried turning eco mode back on to dampen the overactive throttle, but it would keep turning itself off again. I'd also like to be able to stay at off-road 2 height when changing modes when on varied terrain that needs maximum clearance.
Weird. I’m in a 2017 WK2 Trailhawk and the throttle response off-road is great - constantly adapts to fit the terrain. I wonder if they have changed anything in newer models? Maybe consider getting an iDrive so you can control throttle response yourself.

To the OPs question - yes, mine is getting along nicely and we take it on a lot off trips off pavement - the Sierra and desert around here. Modified with Chief, installed trail cams, on-board air, etc. Very nice platform as long as you’re not planning on actual rock crawling...

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

The WK2 is very capable, it'd be cool to see it at work at Hollister sometime. I grew up wheeling at HH, but haven't been there in IDK, nearly 20 years. That's interesting about the horn-honk, is that something you could configure (honk at X psi) or was it just setup for one specific PSI? IDK why Jeep would put that on the KL and not the WK2, but it sounds super neat/useful. As an alternative, have you thought about speed-bleeders? You set them up so they'll bleed to a specific pressure, then stop. When you hit the dirt (I'm thinking when you go through the gate to the truck-side of HH, for example) you screw them on then you just take 'em off once they shut off on their own (you can drive slowly with them on).

WRT throttle control, are you two-footing it? I find that's the best way to modulate acceleration and throttle in tight, technical situations.

-TJ

KLTH19

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ivins, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Craig
Member #

The WK2 is very capable, it'd be cool to see it at work at Hollister sometime. I grew up wheeling at HH, but haven't been there in IDK, nearly 20 years. That's interesting about the horn-honk, is that something you could configure (honk at X psi) or was it just setup for one specific PSI? IDK why Jeep would put that on the KL and not the WK2, but it sounds super neat/useful. As an alternative, have you thought about speed-bleeders? You set them up so they'll bleed to a specific pressure, then stop. When you hit the dirt (I'm thinking when you go through the gate to the truck-side of HH, for example) you screw them on then you just take 'em off once they shut off on their own (you can drive slowly with them on).

WRT throttle control, are you two-footing it? I find that's the best way to modulate acceleration and throttle in tight, technical situations.

-TJ
I'm looking into options for lowering tire pressure without having to do one at a time, but that horn indicator when airing up would have been nice. It was default in the KL and I only discovered it by accident on one trip to HH And left foot braking is definitely the way to go with tricky spots.

On the stair steps at HH, the WK2 was spinning the tires in sand mode at one point and moving sideways It took a few tries backing up and trying different lines to make it to the top. A different mode might have produced better results - the JL Rubicon's cruised up it with no such problems. I was able to keep with them easily on all other parts of the trails though.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm looking into options for lowering tire pressure without having to do one at a time, but that horn indicator when airing up would have been nice. It was default in the KL and I only discovered it by accident on one trip to HH And left foot braking is definitely the way to go with tricky spots.

On the stair steps at HH, the WK2 was spinning the tires in sand mode at one point and moving sideways It took a few tries backing up and trying different lines to make it to the top. A different mode might have produced better results - the JL Rubicon's cruised up it with no such problems. I was able to keep with them easily on all other parts of the trails though.
IIRC sand mode will turn basic "traction control" off, but I don't recall if it will still brake a single spinning wheel at one end. Either way, I suspect the rock mode might have been better there. I think where you will find it harder to stay w/ JL Rubis (or other solid/solid rigs) when it comes to v-notches, rock gardens, etc. where articulation is key, but it'd be cool to find out just how far the WK2 will go as compared to something like a JL Rubi or my WJ.

As for bleeders, I have something like this: I bought them ages ago, so they're not that brand I don't think, and if you google it there are a zillion other options - this was literally just my first Google hit.

-TJ

Cal-Dogg

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Poway, CA, USA
First Name
Troy
Last Name
Frasure
Member #

I know tires can make a big difference in sand. Are you running stock? What was the JL running?

I ran a lot of different tires on my ‘08 JK Rubi but had the best performance with the BFG KO2 in sand and snow as well as pretty decent on rock. The stock tires on my WK2 left a lot to be desired in sand (all about momentum with those) but does well on trails and on road. I’ll most likely upgrade to the KO2 but I’m also considering the Falken Wildpeak AT3. MTs do great on rock but are too noisy on road for me and I will not be taking my WK2 rock crawling any time soon.

KrelleKryl

Rank III

Advocate I

San Diego, CA
First Name
Kristian
Last Name
Andersen
Anyone find a useful front camera system for the WK2 which will interface with the 8” screen?
Yup. I have been experimenting with three different options, but recently came across this:

Absolutely love it! The quality of the camera they sell is really great and the system is very flexible. In addition to the front camera I installed a camera on the passenger side view mirror (GreenYi-45). I'm also installing an additional rear-view camera that I'll be using when I have my tire carrier on (Rydeen cm-HD4).

The front and rear cameras were easy to install, but the one on the side view mirror was a b**** - had to take off the mirror and the door panel, and then wire the camera through the boot that runs mid-way down the door and into the side of the car. Can be done just fine if you're into that kind of stuff, but it was quite fiddly to say the least. The result is great though!

All three cameras work great with the Customtronix. Shipped from Sweden, but it took less than a week to arrive.