Stithis

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Umali
Been planning on camping 1 weekend between the months of January and April. Does anyone know any areas that are great for camping in SoCal (primitive if possible) during that time of year? Some areas I've research such as inyo NF (monache meadows, coyote flats) and san bernardino NF (big bear) but looks like they are closed during the winter season. Anyone else know any great sites??

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I go to Anza Borrego every winter - amazing trails and plenty of primitive and dispersed camping throughout the 600K acres. A bit further north is Carrizo Plain in San Luis Obispo County. Primitive free camps as well as dispersed camping. Two of my favorite places to go in the winter months.

Reactions: Big Blue

Sean's #1 Pop

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Phelan, CA, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
P
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6UEP
Hurkey Creek near Idyllwild, yellow post sites just down the street on Apple Canyon Road - Prehistoric Falls off the 395 - Jawbone -- Tehachapi Park campground is generally empty -- depending on weather Thomas Mountain is open. Lots of opportunity, just depends on the type of camping you want (forest - desert - rocks)

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

We were in Anza Borrego over Thanksgiving and are planning another trip in February. Great desert location. If you an go midweek you'll have the place to yourself. The town of Borrego Springs has some great restaurants too.

Todd

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
You can't go wrong with Anza Borrego, especially if you like the desert environment. 29 Palms is similar and also very nice. The King of the Hammers race is January 31st to February 9th (10 full days of racing) in Johnson Valley, also desert. Is there a theme here...? Yes, there is. The desert, although quite cold, especially at night, can be phenomenal during the late winter/early spring. Bring lots of blankets & lots of firewood & you'll be fine.

If you don't already know it, KOH is insane. Just google King of the Hammers to see some crazy videos of the races. Just be prepared for CROWDS. If you go to Anza Borrego, be sure to check out the Mud Caves.

What ever you choose, have a great/safe trip...

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I like all of the places above but, you should also look at Alabama hills near Lone Pine and New Jack City is nice too.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

You can't go wrong with Anza Borrego, especially if you like the desert environment. 29 Palms is similar and also very nice. The King of the Hammers race is January 31st to February 9th (10 full days of racing) in Johnson Valley, also desert. Is there a theme here...? Yes, there is. The desert, although quite cold, especially at night, can be phenomenal during the late winter/early spring. Bring lots of blankets & lots of firewood & you'll be fine.

If you don't already know it, KOH is insane. Just google King of the Hammers to see some crazy videos of the races. Just be prepared for CROWDS. If you go to Anza Borrego, be sure to check out the Mud Caves.

What ever you choose, have a great/safe trip...
You forgot to mention that sometimes there can be a little dust at KOH.

So many great places to go, so little time..

Todd

Reactions: HIALT2D

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Another great choice... Can't say for sure, but I've never heard of it ever being closed.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Would Alabama hills be open in April?
I am pretty sure it never closes. Rock climbing season for me was Aug. to June. I loved climbing here.

CJM Sharkfin arete2.jpg

Just don't get to close to the Rock Monster he will bite your head off... My friend got a little to close... lol

IMG_4737.JPG

Certainly a beautiful area. If you are into hiking you can hike out to some of the lakes near Mount Whitney. There is a nice camp ground near the Trail head of Mount Whitney too.

IMG_2805.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Looks like everyone hit the good spots. My question is, how far do you want to drive and what do you want to do when you get there? I do a bunch of trips up I-15 between Barstow and Baker. 2 hour drive gets you a big chunk of desert or Big Bear if its not too cold up there. In Big Bear I try to hit the Yellow posts and have a few other remote areas I hit. Head up to Baker (1:45 mins from your house), turn right, pick up the Mojave road and find a spot or go left into Death Valley.
If you had enough time, go up 395 to Alabama Hills, spend some time, turn right, go through Panamint then Death Valley and come out in Baker. Decide if you had enough. If not pick up the Mojave road and come out at the Colorado River. Turn right again go bit drop into Joshua tree and home. That trip took me 10 days. Didn't have the energy to cross into Anza Borrego.

Last edited: