Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Cool, glad you started this thread.

I was just asked by a friend, who saw the image below, if I did any surf casting. I haven't, so am interested in what replies you get here.

pins-van-n-xv2-2019-01-12-1143-crop-900.jpg

Reactions: diabetiktaco

el_duderino

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Jersey
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rafter
I used to go all the time with my dad when I was a kid growing up on the east end of Long Island. I recently moved to NJ and want to get back into (and also incorporate the truck now that I have one) it but not really sure where to start. I know Sandy Hook is popular with some of my fishing buddies but I heard they don't allow beach driving (dunno if that's true).

I've started researching 4x4 permits for NJ but it seems like you need to know the fishing spots first because each town has its own permits. Definitely want to get out for stripers/blues this spring with my kids.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I used to go all the time with my dad when I was a kid growing up on the east end of Long Island. I recently moved to NJ and want to get back into (and also incorporate the truck now that I have one) it but not really sure where to start. I know Sandy Hook is popular with some of my fishing buddies but I heard they don't allow beach driving (dunno if that's true).

I've started researching 4x4 permits for NJ but it seems like you need to know the fishing spots first because each town has its own permits. Definitely want to get out for stripers/blues this spring with my kids.
You can't drive on Sandy Hook. I think you could years ago. Check out the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association website. Start there. I'll give you permit info by town. If you need help, just hit me up.

Reactions: el_duderino

el_duderino

Rank 0

Contributor I

New Jersey
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Rafter
thanks man! I think it was when i was reading the NJBBA website that my eyes started to glaze over as I realized I had no idea where to fish and thus had no idea what permits to seek. What are some popular/productive spots that aren't too far south? I'm in union county so would like to keep the drive to the beach under 1.25 hrs if possible.

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

thanks man! I think it was when i was reading the NJBBA website that my eyes started to glaze over as I realized I had no idea where to fish and thus had no idea what permits to seek. What are some popular/productive spots that aren't too far south? I'm in union county so would like to keep the drive to the beach under 1.25 hrs if possible.
I'm in Monmouth County so closer but not super close. I've got permits for Brick, Lavalette, Island Beach, and all of Long Island. (Also MD). Island Beach state park is the only beach you can drive on and fish year around. Brick and Lav are in the off season only and I think permitting is closed for the year. You can always head out to Long Island beaches. The permit office is in Babylon. Just make sure you have a NY state fishing license first. All of my best fishing days have been during rain and bad weather super early in the AM. That's good, because no body else is out there.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
I do quite a bit, but here in So. Cal. we can't drive on the beaches. We tend to do a bit more light line (6-10 lb test) surf fishing for Corbina, Surf Perch, Halibut & Croaker. Although, a number of us also use heavy gear for large rays (Mud Marlin) & sharks.

Around our place in Baja, we can drive on the beach & this is my set-up:
IMG_1999.JPG

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I do quite a bit, but here in So. Cal. we can't drive on the beaches. We tend to do a bit more light line (6-10 lb test) surf fishing for Corbina, Surf Perch, Halibut & Croaker. Although, a number of us also use heavy gear for large rays (Mud Marlin) & sharks.

Around our place in Baja, we can drive on the beach & this is my set-up:
View attachment 138501
Awesome! 20lb test braid min here w/ 50lb test leaders (bluefish teeth).

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I haven’t done a ton but it’s quickly becoming one of my fav type of fishing , no loosing tackle every min , snags seldom happen , and who doesn’t love the beach . The only thing I’ve really fished for so far is surf perch but on some salmon and steelhead gear it is a fun flight

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Wondering if any of you surf fish? I've got my 4x4 permit for most of NJ, Long Island, and Assateague MD. I usually bring the kids and wife along for a good day or overnight trip.

View attachment 138272

View attachment 138273

View attachment 138274
I like your pictures, looks like great fun. I have done a minimal amount of surf fishing with absolutely no success but I desire to do it more. I know that if I'd get out and do it, my success rate will increase at a much greater rate than it will sitting in my living room.

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I like your pictures, looks like great fun. I have done a minimal amount of surf fishing with absolutely no success but I desire to do it more. I know that if I'd get out and do it, my success rate will increase at a much greater rate than it will sitting in my living room.
That's it. Been skunked many times. But, at the end of the day I sat on the beach drinking coffee and listening to music.

Reactions: Nftyper

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
That's it. Been skunked many times. But, at the end of the day I sat on the beach drinking coffee and listening to music.
About 3 years ago our family, kids and grandkids, rented a house near the Oregon coast. Well, I decided I would take each of the grandkids fishing, so one by one I did. Nothing! Not so much as a bite. Wasn't much of a demonstration of Grandpa's fishing skills but I had a great time with each of them.

diabetiktaco

Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

About 3 years ago our family, kids and grandkids, rented a house near the Oregon coast. Well, I decided I would take each of the grandkids fishing, so one by one I did. Nothing! Not so much as a bite. Wasn't much of a demonstration of Grandpa's fishing skills but I had a great time with each of them.
If you want to look like a hero, there's always worms in fresh water. When I bring the kids I usually have plan B. I'll use live killies in the inlet for fluke. That's USUALLY a sure thing.

Reactions: Big G