Walla walla wa
First Name
Butch
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
I’ve been looking at the 5x8 myself. Too bad we couldn’t get another person or two to order then we could get them delivered out west a lot cheaper I’d bet... the other one I was looking at was the Wee Roll because of its one piece cookie tin type roof ‘cap’... they are back In Florida too I think...

Reactions: untraversed

EuripidesNutz

Rank II

Contributor III

Boston, MA
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Revie
Member #

They were high on my list for value, but I ended up having to take them off because of a couple reasons, not the least of which was Galley depth didn't support an actual full sized fridge, only Dometic 35's and smaller.

Things I liked:
  • Good size: 6 wide is a good width for some trails, some fire roads, and some highway.
  • Good price: Really killer value here.
  • Not a "box on wheels" style. IE it still had a galley in the back unlike some other super cheap squaredrops.
  • Not a "teardrop": I really don't understand why you'd ever waste all that space that comes from the arch shape on the back of a traditional teardrop.
  • Has AC: I get hot.

I was looking for a few things they couldn't do or didn't offer from factory:

• Roof vent: (they explicitly said they can't do this, it voids their warranty) Fine, gave up on this one.
  • Galley Depth: They can't make a 9 or 10' model, also totally understandable.
  • Larger inverter for electrical: Not much here.
  • Wiring for solar: We got into it a bit here, I'm planning on running off the 2kW generator in the 2021 F150, which he said wasn't enough. I think he was thinking of the 2020 and down f150's which didn't have this. I'm pretty sure you could easily add enough battery to run everything but the A/C in here, and probably run the A/C for an hour or so, but I'm no expert.
  • Bolt pattern matching our truck: Can't do it.
  • Moving A/C higher on the front, and then putting a fridge slide (ala mission or Off Grid or NOBO box) underneath. I honestly didn't even ask at this point because the request sounded ridiculous in my head.

None of these (except galley depth) were deal breakers for us. I emailed over the holidays and while I didn't get a reply for obvious reasons, when I followed up, the owner called me the same day. The guy was clearly busy and our conversation was short, but thats a level of service that speaks volumes to me that he'd call me directly.

Even today, if I could find an expedition-sized fridge that would fit in a 15" deep Galley, i'd consider it, but then i'd have to give up the A/C in favor of a fridge slide box. If they ever made a 6x9 and added some Galley depth, that would also do it.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
  • Larger inverter for electrical: Not much here.
  • Wiring for solar: We got into it a bit here, I'm planning on running off the 2kW generator in the 2021 F150, which he said wasn't enough. I think he was thinking of the 2020 and down f150's which didn't have this. I'm pretty sure you could easily add enough battery to run everything but the A/C in here, and probably run the A/C for an hour or so, but I'm no expert.
  • Bolt pattern matching our truck: Can't do it.
I'm curious about this part of your post and the replies you got from the manufacture.

"Wiring for solar: We got into it a bit here, I'm planning on running off the 2kW generator in the 2021 F150, which he said wasn't enough."
Does the F-150 have a Generator Mounted somewhere or was this something that you add on?

"I'm pretty sure you could easily add enough battery to run everything but the A/C in here, and probably run the A/C for an hour or so, but I'm no expert."

I can run my 50qt fridge and accessories on a group 24 battery with 120 watt of solar as long as I have sun. I had a small ac unit on my Lance Camper. I powered it with a 3.5 kw generator. It was enough to use the small microwave at the same time. The big draw from an AC unit is when it powers up the compressor.
So to your statement of adding batteries to power everything but AC, Yes, that's easy. The amount to run AC for a short time wouldn't be practical. A portable generator would actually end up cheaper.

"Bolt pattern matching our truck: Can't do it."
I was told by someone else that Ford did an odd bolt pattern on some of their trucks and no-one makes a trailer hub that match's it. Most of the trailer spindles are a standard set of sizes with several patterns available. Look up your pattern and a small search will show if yours is possible.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

The price reflects what they can and cant do. i am sure their roof just isn't built to support a vent and the size limits galley size so you still have enough cabin size. But, at their prices, its a terrific first or 2nd owner trailers to use for a few years and then move into something with all of the creature features the want and have some equity into the first trailer.

As for me, This is what we chose: 6x10 for $8400.

Last edited:

EuripidesNutz

Rank II

Contributor III

Boston, MA
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Revie
Member #

I'm curious about this part of your post and the replies you got from the manufacture.

"Wiring for solar: We got into it a bit here, I'm planning on running off the 2kW generator in the 2021 F150, which he said wasn't enough."
Does the F-150 have a Generator Mounted somewhere or was this something that you add on?

"I'm pretty sure you could easily add enough battery to run everything but the A/C in here, and probably run the A/C for an hour or so, but I'm no expert."

I can run my 50qt fridge and accessories on a group 24 battery with 120 watt of solar as long as I have sun. I had a small ac unit on my Lance Camper. I powered it with a 3.5 kw generator. It was enough to use the small microwave at the same time. The big draw from an AC unit is when it powers up the compressor.
So to your statement of adding batteries to power everything but AC, Yes, that's easy. The amount to run AC for a short time wouldn't be practical. A portable generator would actually end up cheaper.

"Bolt pattern matching our truck: Can't do it."
I was told by someone else that Ford did an odd bolt pattern on some of their trucks and no-one makes a trailer hub that match's it. Most of the trailer spindles are a standard set of sizes with several patterns available. Look up your pattern and a small search will show if yours is possible.

• Yes, the next Gen F150 (2021)has a built in Generator from the factory now that terminates in the bed, (it's an option) 2kw, 2.4kw, or 7.4kw are all options. You can only get the 2.4 and 7.4 with the new Hybrid drivetrain, which then not only uses the engine, but the hybrids own lithium batteries, to run the generator at extremely low RPMs, if at all. To be clear, I don't/wouldn't expect any business owner to be some random expert on a feature of a truck only released 4 months ago.
  • https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32970167/f-150-generator-pro-power-onboard/
  • You're probably right, and I'd moved on from this as well, which was all good. I'd have A/C on shore power, and no AC when off grid.
  • Thanks for this input, i went to Timbren's suspension and they don't offer a 6x5 Hub, only a 6x5.5 (toyota)

EuripidesNutz

Rank II

Contributor III

Boston, MA
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Revie
Member #

The price reflects what they can and cant do. i am sure their roof just isnt built to support a vent and the size limits galley size so you still ahve enough cabin size. But, at their prices, its a terrific first or 2nd owner trailers to sue for a few years and then mvoe into tsomething with all of the creature features the want and ahve some equity into the first trailer.

As for me, This is what we chose: 6x10 for $8400.

When I asked about a longer trailer I was told no, where did you find the 6x10?

100% agree on the value there. Unfortunately (to me) the whole point of the trailer was/is to be self contained, if i start putting racks and fridges and whatnot in my tow vehicle, i've defeated my own purpose.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
  • Yes, the next Gen F150 (2021)has a built in Generator from the factory now that terminates in the bed, (it's an option) 2kw, 2.4kw, or 7.4kw are all options. You can only get the 2.4 and 7.4 with the new Hybrid drivetrain, which then not only uses the engine, but the hybrids own lithium batteries, to run the generator at extremely low RPMs, if at all. To be clear, I don't/wouldn't expect any business owner to be some random expert on a feature of a truck only released 4 months ago.
  • https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a32970167/f-150-generator-pro-power-onboard/
  • You're probably right, and I'd moved on from this as well, which was all good. I'd have A/C on shore power, and no AC when off grid.
  • Thanks for this input, i went to Timbren's suspension and they don't offer a 6x5 Hub, only a 6x5.5 (toyota)
Thanks for the replies. I didn't know about the on board generators. That would have been nice when I had my camper. I hated firing off my generator when I had to.