Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

i'm trying to figure out a DIY awning for camping next year and the tarp i have is crap now . i thought i would throw out a question for any tips on how you would make one yourself if you have.

i have a 2 jeep jk with a gobi stealth rack.

cheers, jeff

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

After using my arb awning for the last year or two, I don’t think I could make something that works better for the money. The integrated cover alone would be hard to beat diy. It lives on the truck and just works well and wasn’t too expensive. That being said, those fox/bat wing awnings look pretty awesome,but are too spendy for my needs. If I lived somewhere with more weather maybe... unless of course you just like to build everything from scratch, then it would be quite a project to make something better. There are some cheaper awnings out there that could be improved I suppose, but I don’t know if it’d be worth the effort or money.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: jeffs blackjeep

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

The ARB is very good for the price, try and find one used and maybe you can score a decent deal. I recently got one from a OB/IH8MUD guy, I got it for just 125, even though I have an Awning, I picked it up so I could sell it to a buddy for his van.

Reactions: jeffs blackjeep

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I’m glad Wanderlost posted their video. I love their content.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Wanderlost

MrCoffee

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Springfield, Vermont
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
U
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB1PMW
Great thread... I was planning on putting together something out of PVC pipe and Tyvek, but..... we will see.

Reactions: Voodoo 1

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

I just purchased a 12 x 12 Kelty tarp (noahs tarp) and some 82" Mountainsmith tarp poles. Total investment about a hundo and its light, compact and versatile. Our gear is oriented toward the light/compact side though, its not for everyone.

Reactions: MrCoffee

Talisker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

The Lake District, UK
Member #

Some nice ideas here. Wish I'd have asked the same question years ago!

I used a DIY awning for about 4 years until I finally invested in an ARB.

I'll post some images tomorrow and an explanation in case the concept is useful to anyone. Basically like a giant roller blind made from drain pipe/ copper pipe and a tarp!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using OB Talk mobile app