Any Colorado/canyon h3 owners?

• HTML tutorial

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

Everybody likes connecting with people who have the same or similar rig. Any Colorado canyon or h3 owners here? If so what kind of set up are you using. Any pros or cons you have faced using this truck?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I owned a 2006 H3 for 7 years. It was a great platform and capable rig in stock form, however it did lack a lot in the power department with the I5 engine... It was nice that you could put 35x12.5 tires on with no lift or cutting required! It was terrific offroad! Here are a few pics of the setup I had.

It's final form before I sold it.

One of the big cons now for the H3 is that it was discontinued, so aftermarket parts can be difficult to find (if looking for something specific) and they are a little more expensive. Another con was the usable storage space inside because the back seats don't fold flat and the trunk space is narrow and short.

Last edited:
Reactions: VDawg1115

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

Daniel. That's a nice rig. I think you should have stuck with it. One thing I have noticed is the h3 is a lot heavier than the Colorado/ canyon so I can imagine it felt under powered. I don't feel underpowered at all in my canyon.

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

I've got a Canyon, V6 All-Terrain CC.

I absolutely love it, the V6 is really nice, and it's got great fuel economy, and is super comfortable.

I really love the bumper, and the light bar is great. Also looks pretty wicked.

Skid plates and licence plate and cargo light LED's go on hopefully in early May. Maybe a levelling kit later on.

Are those the SLT rims you've got there? (Picture is pre-bumper)

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 7.43.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 11.01.25 AM.png

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
I just put the bilsteins on and one inch blocks, tires will come once I wear through the two sets I have. No good pics of the level yet.
I removed the sway bar a little while back and don't miss it at all. It also tows fine as well.
I have an undercover ridgelander.

-mac

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
I love the diesel, it's really the reason I went with it vs a Tacoma.

-mac

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

IMG_1078.JPG
Daniel. That's a nice rig. I think you should have stuck with it. One thing I have noticed is the h3 is a lot heavier than the Colorado/ canyon so I can imagine it felt under powered. I don't feel underpowered at all in my canyon.

The H3s are heavier because they have extra cross members that aren't present in the Canyon/Colorados. Not sure what else, they're wider and are full time 4wd. I replaced the G80 locker in my GMC Sierra with an E-locker because I heard they require too much wheelspin to engage and can blow up the diff.

Here's my rig, 2010 H3 Alpha with Adventure Package

macr88

Rank VI
Launch Member

Protector II

Emmett, ID, USA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Raslan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TLH or GMRS WRBM678
Service Branch
Sweet District II
@wheelhard916 and @Matt92101 H3s did not come standard with lockers unless you got the Alpha, Adventure or Championship package.
The g80 is an automatic mechanical locker. No button or switch needed.

I love mine, works great once you figure out how it engages and how to engage it.

-mac

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

The g80 is an automatic mechanical locker. No button or switch needed.

I love mine, works great once you figure out how it engages and how to engage it.

-mac
The H3 never had the g80 as mentioned by another post on the issues it creates on certain drivetrains and wheel spin engagement. The only locker used in the H3 models I listed was an e-locker, so the base and lux models did not come standard with any locking diffs, just full time 4x4, 4hi and 4lo transfer case engagement.

Last edited:

VDawg1115

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Oakland, CA
Member #

The H3 never had the g80 as mentioned by another post on the issues it creates on certain drivetrains and wheel spin engagement. The only locker used in the H3 models I listed was an e-locker, so the base and lux models did not come standard with any locking diffs, just full time 4x4, 4hi and 4lo transfer case engagement.
Precisely. I feel there are a lot more H3s out there without rear lockers. It Was hard finding mine as there are easily three times as many H3s without lockers for sale. But people still wheel them with only the traction control and seem to do okay.

The G80 seems to be a problem mainly in the 1/2 ton pickups since they use the same 10bolt rear axle, but with more power and being heavier, a lot more strain on that G80 (gov-lok) or what some guys call the "Gov Bomb". Never heard of it being problem in the HD pickups though.