Anvil 2015 JKU Sport Overland Build

• HTML tutorial

Advocate II

So one thing that never sat quite right with me, or my jeeps rear end, was the 2.5" teraflex lift springs. The rear always seemed to sit a bit low, even when unloaded. When loaded for a trip, the rear would sag tremendously. Teraflex was nice enough to send me a 1" spacer free of charge after a quick phone call. This held me over for a while. However, the rear stance still bothered me when loaded. Another call to teraflex yielded more fantastic support. Jeremy @ Teraflex offered to upgrade me to the heavier duty outback springs for about half the cost since I was sticking with teraflex. He did recommend the 2 door springs with my current front springs since the 4 door 3" outback springs yield about 3.5 inches of lift. I chose to go with the 4 door specific springs, and in the end I am happy.

Here is a shot of the old 2.5" springs and the 3" heavy duty springs side by side.

During the installation, a friend convinced me to leave the 1" rear spacer in place. This would lift the rear of the JK 4". We decided to do this, and 4" front springs were ordered first thing the following day. Look at that rake!

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Advocate II

All packed and rear for VOR! (Vermont Overland Rally)

Here you can see I actually removed the upper crossmember of the teraflex cargo interior rack. This allows me to get the rack up as high as possible and still slide the Front Runner Wolf Packs in. I noticed no loss in strength

Advocate II

Unfortunately the front springs did not arrive in time to get them installed before departing Maryland for Massachusetts, where I would spend a few days with family. After a few days of vacation at "home" it was off to vermont looking like a drag car with all that rake.

I had to go hit the ocean in my home town of Scituate, Massachusetts.

Advocate II

Day 1 of Vermont Overland...

This really shows off the rake!

jake was having a good time

Our friends Chris and Sandra fell in behind us for day 1 in the XJ

You can't drive by the Long Trail brewery and not stop in for a cold beer! We laughed as we pulled in. The parking lot was packed full of rigs from VOR and most of them were clean.... what does that tell you??

Advocate II

Scored two nice double depth rifle cases the other day cheap. Mounted them up top on the gobi.

I will be ordering the sunroof panel for the JK and moving these to the front of the rack when it comes time to add a tent to the rig.

Advocate II

Gassing up for a trip to Assateague Island on Maryland's Eastern Shore.

Headed across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge

On the beach!

Jake the Jeep Dog Taking a nap while we hungout for a bit

Some of Assateague's wild horses

Jake wanted to jump out and play with the horses, or what he perceived to be large dogs.

Advocate II

Teraflex Alpine control arms installed! I was happy to see Teraflex launch a new series of arms with the OEM style bushing. Yes, I may lose a little bit of max flex, but that was not a concern for me. The fact that these arms are maintenance free and quiet earned them a spot underneath the JKU. I really wanted to insert a name for the jeep right there, but I do not have one yet.

Those arms were paird with KING remote reservoir adjustable shocks. I am hoping that these ride like a caddy as opposed to a big lifted jeep.

I also could not resist the opportunity to mock up the new wheels!

Advocate II

Picked up a christmas tree and tossed it up on the roof. With the pelicans up there it was easier to mount the tree sideways (it was short). I can honestly say I think I am the only person to ever mount a tree sideways up on the roof. O well, it worked!

Heading north from MD to MA for christmas with the family led to a unique discovery. The Gobi shovel/axe mount also serves as a pretty good hockey stick mount.

Massachusetts did not disappoint us with some snow. It was brief, but Maryland winters do leave me hungry for a good snowfall.

Advocate II

Working on getting the new wheels and tires mounted.

I found it surprisingly easy to get the inner beadlock in the tire. I was expecting more of a flight.

Back half of the wheel dropped in.

you can see the studs used to bolt the two halfs of the wheel together. While doing this is pinches the tire's bead on the inner beadlock and creates a wonderful double beadlock setup.

In the end, its a lot of bolts that slowly get torqued down to one killer looking setup.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Great looking build! I'm just starting a JKU build of my own. I have a GOBI Stealth rack on order and the wait is killing me.

I may have missed it in the pics so far, but are you running a dual battery setup?